Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
This isn't *really* hackintoshy but I figured this would be the most knowledgable place to ask, am I going to nuke my install on my 3,1 if I let it upgrade to Catalina? SSD, 32GB RAM, APFS (non-encrypted).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Binary Badger posted:

What's on there right now? You should just download dosdude1's Catalina patcher which will create and patch a USB installer for you and do a clean install by booting from that USB it creates.

I've got the patcher, currently on Mojave. I was hoping it would fix the issues I'm having both with my BeatsX (randomly dropping mic requiring a restart) and PowerBeatsPro (will pair but never actually connect or pass audio).

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

otter posted:

It's probably a 2-4 year total transition from start to finish.

Admittedly, Apple doesn't owe us anything in terms of support. We run on unsupported hardware. It's in the definition.
This is the important context.

Binary Badger posted:

Didja try downloading the Beats Updater? I had an issue where my PowerBeats3 wouldn't connect to my rMBP until I updated it.. My PB Pro refused to configure Hey Siri until I updated it to the latest, dunno how I got an early firmware on it when I only bought it 3 months ago..

I'll try it, thanks!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah, 10.16, we're hearing that officially it's '11.0.' Is the harbinger. Next release will have T3/ARM and lock poo poo down for good.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
You might be very surprised at the number of smaller media houses that don't have MacPro capital that hackintosh....

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah I think all the doom and gloom is slightly overblown. There is zero chance that you don't get at least 2, maybe even 4 versions of macOS capable of being compiled for x86 machines due to the 2019 Pro. Now, do they have flags that require AVX512 instructions or some poo poo that make it essentially impossible to Hackintosh as we know it? Honestly, probably. But only time is going to tell, here.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
For all intents and purposes, thunderbolt/USB4 is PCIe, yes.

It helps that Apple was a signatory to the initial agreement and is probably a big reason Thunderbolt took off as well as it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Very good and reasoned explanation of Apple’s thought process here with physical packaging and regulatory constraints accounted for. Checks out.