Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

mryellowduck posted:

Is it possible to get OS X running in a VM (e.g. Workstation Pro on Windows)?

I know the reverse is possible with having Windows in a VM on OS X. I need a unix system for web development, but can't install hackintosh standalone on my system because of my employer's rules.

I was able to get OSX running fine in a VM, but I had to use :filez: to do it; I was told it's not possible to do it without hacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

eightysixed posted:

Is it worth trying to Hackintosh a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 and an i7 920 Bloomfield? Can it even be done? :shobon:

I'm running Mavericks on that mobo and it was one of the easier Hacks that I've done. I started with a 920 and then later changed to a six-core 3.16 Westmere Xeon on the same mobo and OSX deals with it fine.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

PBCrunch posted:

If I put OS X on the Core 2 Duo system, what are the chances that everything will still work if I upgrade the CPU to one of those 12MB cache quad core Xeons using one of those 771-775 sticker adapters? OS X runs on Xeons, so I assume it will be OK?

Oh god. I did exactly that, used an E5460 Xeon(3.16ghz) and it was a nightmare.

The system used a Gigabyte mobo, ran for a couple years perfectly with a Q6600 on Mountain Lion, then I swapped in the Xeon and immediately ran into problems. The system would boot, but ran slower and slower and would lock up and have to be hard-reset, then after a couple cycles of this, it would just refused to boot and/or KP.

I tried a fresh install of ML, the installer would usually not make it to the end, and when it did, it would only boot once or twice. I tried Mavericks, same result. Throwing the Q6600 back in made all problems go away.

Meanwhile, in Windows-land, the Xeon setup worked awesomely, a large speed improvement over the Q6600, so I just gave up Hacking that particular machine.

Google searching gave me a couple of results, one was a guy who had to run a hacked Snow Leopard kernel(like AMD users do) and another who ran a different Xeon than mine and didn't mention any OS hassle.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

eightysixed posted:

I'm clearly doing something wrong and it has to be a BIOS related issue, because trying to boot to Clover via USB just hangs on "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." - I can boot/install Linux/Windows/Whatever fine, it's obviously just something I'm doing wrong with GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 motherboard. Of course, there's no UEFI, so I can't do the fancy stuff as documented in the OP. Any ideas? I'm also going to PM you because I'm desperate :(

What OS are you installing? I installed Mavericks on mine, 10.9.4, I think, and I used Myhack to do it - I try to avoid Tonymac stuff on general principles.

I just built my thumbdrive with Myhack and installed with the default options. I can't recall using any boot flags, but I might have had to use npci=2000 or PCIRootuid=0 to get to the install screen. I'm running a 580GTX, so it worked pretty much right out of the box, just added a couple kexts for networking, sound and the USB 3.0 card.

Unfortunately, Myhack doesn't support anything newer than Mavericks, so you'd have to use Unibeast or another tool to get Yosemite or El Capitan going, and I can't help you there - it works so well, I'm loathe to update it until I have to.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

That feel when you want to update but don't want to break your hard earned stable install.

Thread title, right here

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I've never found a way to get OSX working on a Windows VM that didn't involve -filez- .

Probably easiest way is to set up a known-simple Hackintosh hardware combo - I bought an old Lenovo T410 laptop for 150$ and had it working perfectly in OSX within an hour, with everything but the fingerprint reader working.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Yeah, I've built three Hacks with HD7950 cards and they've all worked out of the box without any additional graphics fuckery - an XFX, and two Twin Frozer MSI's. Nvidia's usually easier, but Tahiti cards seem to work okay.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

cbirdsong posted:

What's the best way to move a Clover install to a new drive? Can I just clone my entire drive somehow?

I Clonezilla'd a working Clover install to a larger HD with no issues last month.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I have two EVGA 780ti's, in two different Hacks, one is a fancy Classified version with the extra-huge cooler, the other is just a Superclocked standard card.

The Classified works OOB with Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan, the standard 780ti will not work OOB with any of those OS's, it's webdriver or nothing.

gently caress, I dunno........:shrug:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

gently caress me. I gave up and bought a used 980ti last week because I gave up on Pascal drivers. :what:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

I do. Ubuntu has the worst fuckin' default UI I've ever used, OSX has the best(although I think it's gone downhill since around ML).

Plus, I kind of enjoy tinkering around with Hacks.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

revmoo posted:

I recommend this route, it's what I did

Likewise.
$5.00, no kexts, no hassle, works under any os.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Does anybody have a link to a guide or forum post on how to get a R9 290 to work in El Capitan? I understand that the 290x works OOB in most cases, can the card ID be spoofed on some way?

I just switched to Clover and I'm in no way an expert with it yet, so any help is appreciated.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Cool, thanks, that's what I'm looking for!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

This is the card that Tonymac recommends nowadays, several people report complete success.

$37 on fleabay, but it ships from China.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM943602CS-1750Mbps-802-11ac-Wireless-PCi-Express-WiFi-Adapter-BT4-0-/302479497765

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 3, 2018

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

This seller doesn't accept payments now for whatever reason. Would this one be the same? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-B...Sw9V5bD9Qm#rwid

Looks like the same card to me.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

(Crossposted from the hardware thread ‘cause I’m a moron)

I have a question that perhaps this thread can answer - I’m updating a couple of my Hacks to High Sierra and am wondering what the best used video card is in terms of compatibility. I have been using Nvidia, but since the web drivers aren’t being refreshed anymore(and they always seem a bit janky), I’m looking at AMD.

I’d like to spend about $100-$150 for each card, and my primary objective is to keep the install as vanilla as possible, with OOB compatibility being preferred. I’ve been looking at RX480/580 8gb cards - are there any particular models that have issues or any models THAT JUST WORK? Or should I be looking at a different card?

Any advice is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Awesome, the Sapphire cards are exactly what I need, I just didn’t know if other cards would work or it was important to stick with the Sapphire. I’m not going to chance it.

What I meant about the web drivers not being updated is that the GTX10x0 series seems to be the end of the line as far as card support.