Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So how much did El Cap screw around with the bluetooth features (handoff, airdrop, etc?) This old thread implies it did.

I'm reaching the point now where I'm willing to sink the requisite money into the hardware for these features, after playing around with them on a real Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
All the .1 added was bugfixes for certain apps and a bunch of emoji. If you just update Clover when asked to and don't run preview builds, you're almost always fine anymore. The yearly 10.x update is still a ceremonial "hold your breath" upgrade just because of Murphy's Law, but there's enough work happening to Clover now to test those early builds and make sure things ready for the standard release.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Easy Tiger posted:

Anyone else ready to buy a Mac now because you're so impressed with OS X?

I need more power than a Mac Mini, but don't want to keep buying integrated displays every few years; and every Mac model Apple makes now has this completely unique motherboard design with as much stuff soldered on at the factory as possible.

It made it a little easier to dive into iOS, though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There's now been ATI bitching and NVidia bitching on just this page of the thread.

If I'm buying a new mid-range card to replace my mid-range card of three years ago, which works best? I used to buy NVidia because of Linux, but OSX86 is my new Linux.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

The 760 is the last mid-range Nvidia model that supports Apple drivers. The 750 was never built in Apple computers so that requires the web driver as well. 780 GTX also supports the Apple drivers but that definitely an enthusiast card.

Good to know, though to clarify I have no particular allegiance to NVidia anymore, my allegiance is mainly to "it just works" without conflicts.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Had a lot of issues with USB power coming out of sleep lately. My keyboard tends to not have any and I have to pull the plug and try around on other ports.

I suppose that, given this stuff worked perfectly in the past, I should probably just replace this 12 year old keyboard. It could be software, either El Cap or a Clover update, but might as well get one obvious sign out of the way.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Am I the only one who doesn't use 3,1? There's a recent-ish iMac from late 2012 or so that uses the non-K version of my CPU, and I have a K but don't overclock. I switched to it just to see what happened and everything operates fine. I guess I just considered myself lucky on that one.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xir posted:

Is it possible to just upgrade to Sierra without doing a compete reinstall?

For the moment you shouldn't run Sierra right away regardless of how you install it. At least several recent builds of Clover have serious issues, with some people saying anything newer than 3469 is bad.

Most years the Clover people have this stuff figured out during beta and have it running at daily driver level by release, but this version has been especially messy. Doesn't help that MacPro3,1 or whatever it's called that most people were using was dropped. Apparently people who had iMessage working under that profile had to lose it to upgrade.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I bought a 470 this week because my understanding is it works in Sierra. The 480 does not.

I still don't risk installing Sierra because it sounds like a mess (and it may always be a mess and we might be hitting a point where casual reliable Hackintosh'ing dies) but if it's ever un-hosed, I'm ready.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I upgraded my GPU to an RX470 and upgraded to Sierra on a whim after Time Machine'ing my El Cap system. So far, the things that seem to suck on El Cap with this card (no acceleration, janky performance, won't sleep) are still there in Sierra but the OS doesn't seem uniquely hosed. If I had stuck with my GTX 660 I'm sure I'd be quite happy. I'm one of the weirdos who got iMessage to work by switching profiles to an iMac (it helps that I have the same CPU/mainboard chipset) and getting an unused serial number by luck, and that's still going.

Basically it looks like Windows-only for now, but that was going to be the case with a Polaris or Vega. Unless you're one of those weirdos paying over-inflated prices for 9x0 hardware you're going to have issues. With everyone from enthusiasts to mainstream press slamming Macs right now for being so far behind the tech curve, something will give before I stop using this card. (shrug)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My understanding is that Clover now adds the SIP code to settings.plist by itself, because I checked it and it was already there.

I tried looking a little bit about what to do but quickly saw terminal windows and text about framebuffers and reporting card IDs and so on, and I'm just not interested in cracking down to the brass bolts of how OSX works to want to look into that. It's not "we've got this down to the point where we wrote this easy tutorial," it's at "we've got these ideas and it's up to you to make sense of them and please report back with any apocalyptic problems you have, and btw sleep/wake still won't work."

People bring up MacRumors a lot and I had trouble finding the relevant threads. Apparently people moved into the Mac Pro discussion forum and began making GBS threads up the place referring to their homebuilt PCs as "Mac Pros" and bothering the few people who actually own authentic Mac Pros.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm not going to say this is good advice, because there's too many people here who know more about computers than I do, but I have successfully used gparted as a free/open-source cloning tool many times. Setup a LiveCD image on a disc or USB, boot to it, select your partitions, and just use copy and paste to the target device. It supports NTFS and HFS+, so it's at least good until APFS becomes a thing (and hopefully it will be updated to work with it, too.) Thanks lunix nerds.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I tried the instructions to get 480/470 cards working, which basically came down to editing a kext, and it didn't work. Then I tried a similar set of instructions, which did the same thing but disabled SIP and used Kext Manager to fix permissions afterwards, and now my system won't even start.

I have a full system backup on Time Machine but I think I'll just wait until the 470 support is real.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
10.2.2 is out, and with it came the promise of new AMD drivers. I managed to update by switching to iGPU and updating everything. My AMD card will boot OSX again, but there's still no acceleration etc.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I haven't been able to use OSX for about a month, thanks to owning a GPU that's too new for El Cap. What's funny is some people have gotten theirs to work, but everyone points you to the same 170 page (and growing) TonyMac thread that was started when Sierra was just a gold master and the information within has changed dramatically and the first post is incredibly out of date.

But then I had to RMA my GPU, so I thought, "surely this will work with Intel graphics!"

Well, yes and no. Acceleration works, but audio doesn't. Also, my endless tweaking following the directions of people at Tony's now means that my system does an incredibly slow logged/verbose boot no matter what config.plist I use. I made sure verbose was off in the file and everything. v:shobon:v

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
UniBeast is a Clover installer now if you're configured for it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I replaced a power supply recently and while I was at it removed an old mechanical drive that was being used for backups of old legacy files. As far as I know, I had Clover installed one of my SSDs, both of which remain in use.

So, uh, why am I booting directly into Windows now and not even getting a choice of which operating system? I'm about this close to just using this Unibeast Sierra installer I made before I gave up on OSX for not supporting this year's crop of GPUs. I almost never use it anymore because of the lack of acceleration but I still sometimes need Pixelmator for something.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mewse posted:

Have you checked boot order in your bios?

Yes and I've booted to every available option. I either get Windows boot loader or I get error messages.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

~Coxy posted:

Occam's razor suggests that Clover was only ever installed onto that mech drive all along, and you used that to boot into OS X on your SSD.

You'd think, but I booted to disk0, and I went and made sure I knew what device was disk0.

Sphyre posted:

You could always boot into clover using a USB stick, get into your current OSX install from there, and reinstall clover on the SSD if necessary

I forgot about this. Sounds good.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I hope the new OP happens eventually. I heard the RX 470 supposedly works now, but information changed so much since Sierra's release, Tonymac's community likes to do the thing with The Megathread With The Drastically Out Of Date OP, and the one time I did make the suggested edits they hosed up my Clover.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
:ughh: I was a fool to buy AMD.

I mean more than most people who do, but still...

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

red_leg posted:

Do folks really like OS X that much over Debian/Ubuntu/etc?

I bought a bunch of iOS things because I love OS X on my PC so much. Now I own a MacBook Pro that's old but just enough to run Sierra, and I sort of avoid using it because what I really wish was that I could still run OS X on my PC (and also because I have a bitchin' iPad that makes an old Core Duo MacBook kind of redundant, but...)

Basically I'd own a real Mac if only the Mac mid-range desktops weren't still wrapped up in that "Family Computer" motif that has been rendered obsolete by, ironically, iPads.

EDIT: And the number of "build a Hackintosh with a 1080 it's easy!!" articles I'm seeing everywhere are causing me to worry for the future of this poo poo and also wish I hadn't bought a GPU three months before the Nvidia drivers because it seems to be all about the 10x0 right now.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 29, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just saying that the more I see tutorials etc on big Apple related sites like 9to5Mac the more it worries me that this stuff won't be easy forever. Nothing that can be done about it, but Apple didn't care when it was "go to Tonymac" or whatever but if it gets to the point that you see steps listed out on Macworld then you bet there's going to be substantial changes that will gently caress us up.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know what the hell is going on, but I can't get Clover to work.

I can access my OS X through a USB drive with Clover, then I download Clover from Sourceforge and install it onto the OS drive (it has it's own dedicated SSD.) However, I reboot into my BIOS and see the same list as before.

UEFI: Windows Boot Loader
A couple other SSD options that are not EFI and bring up Windows Boot Manager errors whenever I try them
USB (if it's plugged in) and that's it. No Clover from the SSD at all. It's like the motherboard can't see it or something

This has been going on since I rushed into W10 Creators Update, iirc. I dunno. I'm about ready to give up and throw in the towel on hack-macs entirely. I was just going through the hoops to make my AMD graphics work and now this.

Forget all of the above. It was a bizarre quest, but I managed to both restore Clover to my motherboard's boot list through a Windows utility, and the kext edits to make my AMD gpu are working perfectly as well. It took seven months, but my Sierra upgrade nightmare is 95% over.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 5, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, for the curious, here's the state of things with RX 4x0/5x0 cards. You have a horrible choice: you can either get full graphics acceleration but lose HDMI audio and sleep, or you pick the opposite. I'd rather use mobo sound than watch OS graphical effects run like a slug, so the choice was easy.

So is there a better way than the Multibeast method of enabling ALC892 audio? Here's what it does, for the record:

quote:

Enables full functionality for the Realtek ALC892 high-definition audio codec. Installs RealtekALC.kext in /Library/Extensions. Adds codec-specific patches for AppleHDA.kext into /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist. Adds codec specific zlib files into /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources. CloverALC patching technique by toleda.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 5, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well I've tried a couple of things (first Multibeast, then CloverALC) trying to get my motherboard audio to work, and it won't.

So nowI've got a gazillion output devices under my sound menu, and none of them work. I've got mystery kexts and config patches I don't understand installed. This is basically the "gently caress it" point where I copy userfiles to my network and get ready to blow it all to hell, I suppose. I do enjoy the Mac experience, but without graphics and sound working together I'd have to reboot into Windows everytime someone sends me one of those hot YouTube drops, so this won't do.

So close, and yet so far. Going back to El Cap isn't an option since I now only have too-new-of-a-graphics-card, and applying numerous so-called fixes like a wildman didn't do anything, so I'll prepare for the eventual reformat if enthusiasm returns and people can ever get onboard sound working reliably. Hopefully someday Sierra onwards will reach levels of reliability and fewer hoops as Mountain Lion to El Cap did.

EDIT: Oh wait I can't reformat because I'm one of the few unicorns that has iMessage working oh my god I'm hosed.

Fun times!

EDIT 2: Wait, iMessage is tied to config.plist, right? I can just re-use one of the numerous backups I have.... I dunno, I guess I need to go finish hyperventilating and collect myself somewhere else.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 5, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, now that I'm calming down, I found there's uninstall instructions in the tonymac thread for these fixes, so I'll poke into them next time.

GokieKS posted:

You could always just get a cheap USB DAC.

I'll look into that, too.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
ALC892. The CloverHDA thread has uninstall procedures for both Multibeast and standalone installs, and I did both like an idiot. Should be a matter of following directions to fix. Meanwhile, I think I have a USB DAC here already that I used as an alternative to front panel headphone jack for streaming.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think some of these hacks used S/L/E... I'll check later. I know I edited some files inside a couple AMD-related ones and then refreshed the cache to get the RX 470 working.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is Ryzen at "how-to article" levels of ease yet, or are the hoops too big to jump through? I keep seeing posts and videos but it's hard to trust random strangers as to how stable the whole thing is. (also Tonymac will still delete/ban you for talking about running on AMD for reasons that seem to be as much about legal liability and trying to pretend these projects are legitimate, and that's my favorite forum since most posts on InsanelyMac still make my head hurt.)

I'm thinking of changing my system soon, but I don't know what I want. I'll probably get Coffee Lake anyway, just move my drives over, keep the SMBIOS info the same and hope that there won't be any serious issues continuing to emulate a five year old iMac, because I got iMessage working on my current system and don't really want to have to walk on those eggshells twice.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, I got AMD driver acceleration working when I owned an RX470. It was easy, but it wasn't fully featured. No HDMI audio, must use a iGPU to access Clover which was fine because I had an old 4:3 display sitting nearby to handle Clover related issues and shut off. If you used motherboard sound and had a small display hooked up to integrated graphics to handle any need to use the bootloader it was fine. The average user could set Clover to auto-boot OSX with a couple seconds delay and 99% of the time they'd be fine. But since I use HDMI audio and a lovely TV as a display that's making me blind from eye strain as I try to read text at 55ppi, it wasn't meant for me.

But when even 9to5Mac is showing off Ryzen-powered rigs, it seems to send a sign to me that it's easier to accomplish than the old Bulldozer poo poo. Was just wondering if anyone peeked through the mirror and what's on the other side.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 27, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You can set a default boot volume. It won't remember the last boot volume.

Set it to default to whichever one you use most and set a short timer before it boots. I feel Windows gets more patches and does more nighttime patching so I default to it but YMMV.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Moogs posted:

Appreciate it! Swapped out the liquid cooler for a cheap Noctua one. In terms of actually buying this, are there any techniques to get the best price? Or just wait for next year's Cyber Monday? :(

Be more flexible about specific components and brands and keep an eye out on Reddits "buildapcsales" board. You are pushing past the "diminishing returns" point of performance and into the "spending more money than necessary because I like fast and big numbers" territory. For instance, additional memory speed is only a few dollars more up to 3000, but then jumps for 3200 by a noticeable amount. Also, Newegg sells one 500GB Samsung SSD for significantly less than your two 250GB SSDs ($140 v $170), so consider if you need to go that path as well.

Basically getting a good deal on building a computer is making a lot of little $20-40 compromises until you run out of things to purchase. It eventually rolls around to need. If you're doing 4K video rendering, then having four small NVMe SSDs running in unison is more ideal than one big SATA one, but you may not need that to do your job.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 2, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Right now is kind of a lovely time to build a PC in general because of RAM prices, but especially a Hackintosh since you can't reliably use a Ryzen CPU which is where the value is. AMD has kicked Intel in the balls hard enough that they're offering more than 4 cores on the consumer level for the very first time, so you're probably better off either waiting until Apple releases some Coffee Lake macs, or just buying equipment now and hoping you don't have to replace a motherboard later. (Though it's better now than it was five years ago where the Tonymac guide for low-effort people wouldn't recommend anything other than a Gigabyte board.)

Buying a 4c8t CPU for a high end machine right now is just a bad idea.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 3, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Whenever Apple will sign it.

And since no Macs that support Mojave shipped with Nvidia, there's no reason for Apple to sign it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think anything that endangers Boot Camp or other Windows-on-your-Mac capabilities is unlikely. You have way too many ordinary people who have to boot up Windows even if they love OSX. My uncle just bought an Air and still loves the Mac, but his attorney job requires him to be able to use Windows for at least one program.

It's just easier to leave it to people who already know their way around DirectX.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Unlike previous versions of Windows, license authorization persists across formats and reinstalls. So it has to store a key somewhere in firmware.

Windows PCs also have security features that don’t play well with dual booting, but they can be disabled in firmware settings. Ideally, Apple would do something similar rather than head down further down the path of “we know what’s good for you, and that’s disposing standardization and marrying hardware to operating systems in the interest of greater security and no you don’t get any choice in the matter.”

If they do that, they’re just inviting the “yes, Linux can run on an [x]” crowd to break it just like they used to 20 years ago when Macs were especially closed platforms and technologies.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 2, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's supposed to, though you often find one or two "it doesn't work!" posts among the "worked fine for me."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's been only a year since they rolled out an Intel Mac on $700 wheels. Relax, dudes. You will, eventually, have to stop, but I don't think see that day coming until 2023. And unless you're super wild about your gaming PC and your iPhone sharing iMessages or whatever, I swear to god it's the arguments that MacOS to other systems are withering away further each year.

The people who are fuuuuuuuuuucked are the people who use this stuff in media production, but if you're using a Hackintosh to actually do a money-making job then :laffo:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

otter posted:

Yeah, I learned the hard way to keep all my documents / data on a separate drive from my boot drive the hard way. I couldn't imagine running a production machine off a hackintosh if my finances depended on it. That being said, I have an older (mountain lion running on a Core 2 Duo) hackintosh in my garage which is basically for you tube / web to look stuff up at my toolbench. That thing is so rock solid that if it wasn't so slow and still go security updates I would trust it all day every day. Just clone your OS/Boot drive and keep your data duplicated (note: do not seriously consider using a hackintosh when your financial well being is on the line.)

I've been trying to control myself because I feel like going to the hackintosh thread to talk up alternatives is lovely, but I gave up my own Hack-Mac when Catalina removed Nvidia support for Linux. My primary reason was that game support is better there (excluding some weird exceptions like Fortnite) but if you have old hardware and just want rock solid stability you can still find some lightweight/middleweight distros that will support that hardware and be less vulnerable to the internet than Mountain Lion is.

It is slowly becoming a little bit more difficult to keep the creature comforts Mac/Windows users are accustomed to on C2D especially with only 2GB of memory, largely because of how everyone is beginning to insist on 64-bit, but if you can install/maintain a Hackintosh you could put MX Linux (a popular Debian derivative that uses a modified xfce) on that hardware and probably be set for a while. Just make sure you put /home (which contains preferences, settings, etc) on a different partition from the rest of the system so that if you do ever have to reinstall, your programs will keep your old settings out of the box.

Today there's also read-only support for APFS drives in Linux, which was great for me because I didn't so much leave my Hackintosh as make it unbootable by changing hardware and slowly decide it wasn't worth saving. I did manage to scrape all my personal files off the Mac partitions before wiping them.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 23, 2020