Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

otter posted:

I think the last time I had a Linux box as my daily driver it was... 2001? I tried installing mint / peppermint, and a couple of others and I just don't like it in the same way. I can't even remember the name of the one I liked the best and had on a laptop at work back in '15 or so. Corn or something Zorin. Maybe I'll download a modern version live CD or whatever the kids are doing these days and throw it on my laptop instead of working this afternoon.

Still, I will miss the elegance.

Newer versions of KDE use as little memory as Xfce nowadays so long as the system isn't pre-configured bloatred, and can be adjusted to be very Mac-like. A modernized fork of the GNOME 2.x DE that ruled the late 2000s called MATE is also a decent option and even has a theming preset called Cupertino that most makes it resemble a mid-2000s Mac.

I'd say if you're especially hesitant to deal with advanced installers, give Ubuntu MATE a try. The new 20.04 is a long-term support release , so you won't have to deal with any major updates for two years, by which point you might finally retire that machine. Ubuntu did drop 32-bit binaries, but I ran GNOME 2.x x64 on a Conroe C2D E6600 with 4GB of RAM in 2010 and had no problems. Your average systemd-managed distro is not as elegant as retail Macs but usually no more difficult than a Hackintosh. You don't have to be Jeff K to set up a basic granny machine anymore.

EDIT: I should mention the distro Elementary, which leads the "most likely to get sued by Apple" sweepstakes. But I believe they aren't lightweight enough for machines over a decade old, and they currently have no upgrade system in place, requiring people format for each major new version.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m thinking of either buying a Mac Mini or building a small cheaper Hackintosh. What limitations do Hackintoshes have these days?

Planned obsolescence.