Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Lazyhound posted:

Has anyone tried using macOS-Simple-KVM to run macOS as a VM on a Linux host? It sounds like it doesn’t require any kext meddling, kind of curious what performance is like and if iTunes DRM works.

I sold my iMac after successfully dabbling with Mac OS X virtualisation in KVM/Qemu with PCIe passthrough.

I only had the iMac for browsing the internet in my living room, and I prefer browsing on my Mac anyway because of the font rendering + magic trackpad 2. I thought my spare PC could be a good candidate to replace the mac since I have somewhere to hide it.

You’ll obviously need a Mac compatible second GPU to passthrough and I’d say the other important thing is having a motherboard that isn’t stingy with IOMMU groups so passing through USB controllers and sound becomes painless.

The performance is great. The pc is far more powerful than my iMac so it’s basically like using a Mac Pro. I’ve never used a traditional hackintosh before, but this virtual machine has no issues with updates or needing random kexts to keep it functioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Thankfully one of my USB controllers was in an IOMMU group with a couple of other things I don't need in Linux (like onboard sound) so after I passed through every ID in that group in grub, the USB controller has been working perfectly inside the VM.