Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, via external GPU enclosure? Pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

For some reason my Hackintosh is running quite sluggishly relative to my Mid-2015 MBP. This shouldn't happen as I'm working with an i7-7770k and a 1080ti. Is there some boot option I ought to have ticked or unticked that could be causing this?

hard drive maybe?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A 1080ti shouldn't have problems with 2 monitors (that I know of). The MBP probably has a faster SSD than your hackintosh.. but that shouldn't be that noticable. Sometimes SSDs have problems though, one area of the thing can work at full speed and others not so much, but of course this would be a failure case.

I would at the very least pull up Activity Monitor and poke around in that and see if anything sticks out.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Win 10 Enterprise is just as viable since you can control everything including updates. Get on board.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

Unlike previous versions of Windows, license authorization persists across formats and reinstalls. So it has to store a key somewhere in firmware.

Windows PCs also have security features that don’t play well with dual booting, but they can be disabled in firmware settings. Ideally, Apple would do something similar rather than head down further down the path of “we know what’s good for you, and that’s disposing standardization and marrying hardware to operating systems in the interest of greater security and no you don’t get any choice in the matter.”

If they do that, they’re just inviting the “yes, Linux can run on an [x]” crowd to break it just like they used to 20 years ago when Macs were especially closed platforms and technologies.

I don't think that is what's going on. The license authorization is actually a hardware hash not a stored key. Could be wrong but its probably something else.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Catalina is a loving disaster of epic proportions. I've had a string of mac users asking me to downgrade their machines so they can run the software they paid for.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

No, it's a Nuc, the wireless + bt module is soldered in.

The Nucs I've seen had that on a modular card, m.2 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
And just think, all that loving bullshit just to avoid putting some PCIe expansion slots.