Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

enMTW posted:

USB 3 El Capitan fix for Gigabyte Z97 motherboards

Note: This will only work on boards with Intel USB 3 chipsets.

USB 3 on El Capitan is complicated. For most people, El Capitan breaks USB 3 support. Until 10.11.1, the only way to fix it involved complicated DSDT patches. Now, it's rather easy. Follow along...

First step: Go to About this Mac - System Report - USB. You should see your USB 3 bus listed with no devices under it. If you see devices listed under USB 3, things are working natively!
Is there a simple way to test if my USB 3 ports are actually operating at USB 3.0 speeds, or am I able to just trust System Report? I'll look again when I get home, but I think mine has reported as a USB 3 bus since I installed El Capitan, even though I'm running a Gigabyte Z97 board. I did this just a couple weeks ago, so I was starting off with 10.11.1.

I updated to 10.11.2 using the App Store this morning with no issues. However, in my boot menu after I hit F12, it used to show the actual device name of my SSD I installed OS X to (a spare drive) but now it just has two entries of "OS X". Selecting the second one takes me to the Clover boot menu, which loads fine. I should probably check my BIOS settings to make sure nothing got changed by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Highlighted the most honest portion of the FAQ.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Just did an clean install of installed Mojave on my system: GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 / 4690K / ASUS Dual RX580. Previously I was running El Capitan.

It seems like every time I install a new version it somehow gets a little easier. I used UniBeast for the install, and the High Sierra MultiBeast for post install, using it only to install: Clover, FakeSMC and AtherosE2200 kexts, and to set the system definition to iMac14,2.

I didn't have any audio at this point since I read not to use the High Sierra MultiBeast for installing audio drivers on Mojave. Instead of patching anything, I installed Lilu and AppleALC kexts, and all my ins and outs showed up after a reboot. For some reason, MultiBeast had still inserted 3 AppleHDA entries in my Clover config.plist under KextsToPatch, even though I never set it to install audio drivers or patches. I removed these entries when I installed the above kexts.

My only other issue turned out to be a common one, which is that QuickLook and Preview were borked. They would not open image files, or at least not jpegs - they'd still open PDFs. This was fixed by enabling the previously disabled IGPU, and installing WhateverGreen (which requires Lilu). Mojave also detected and used my ultrawide monitor's native resolution from the start, which is an improvement over El Capitan.

Things I don't use and can't comment on that others may find important: sleep, HDMI audio, iMessage, wifi, an Nvidia card. The only thing I'll probably tinker with now is power management.

utonium fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 16, 2018

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

Using UniBeat and MultiBeast and calling it “clean” is almost a stretch.
Oops, you are right! I guess I meant fresh install? I didn't upgrade.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

me, a literal buffoon posted:

Just did an clean install of installed Mojave on my system: GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 / 4690K / ASUS Dual RX580. Previously I was running El Capitan.

It seems like every time I install a new version it somehow gets a little easier. I used UniBeast for the install, and the High Sierra MultiBeast for post install, using it only to install: Clover, FakeSMC and AtherosE2200 kexts, and to set the system definition to iMac14,2.

I didn't have any audio at this point since I read not to use the High Sierra MultiBeast for installing audio drivers on Mojave. Instead of patching anything, I installed Lilu and AppleALC kexts, and all my ins and outs showed up after a reboot. For some reason, MultiBeast had still inserted 3 AppleHDA entries in my Clover config.plist under KextsToPatch, even though I never set it to install audio drivers or patches. I removed these entries when I installed the above kexts.

My only other issue turned out to be a common one, which is that QuickLook and Preview were borked. They would not open image files, or at least not jpegs - they'd still open PDFs. This was fixed by enabling the previously disabled IGPU, and installing WhateverGreen (which requires Lilu). Mojave also detected and used my ultrawide monitor's native resolution from the start, which is an improvement over El Capitan.

Things I don't use and can't comment on that others may find important: sleep, HDMI audio, iMessage, wifi, an Nvidia card. The only thing I'll probably tinker with now is power management.
I just installed whatever this latest 10.14.6 supplemental update is and thought I'd take a minute and post. A few weeks back I did a full reinstall of Mojave on my machine, this time following the Vanilla guide here:
https://hackintosh.gitbook.io/-r-hackintosh-vanilla-desktop-guide/

I feel much better about my install now, and I wish I'd listened to everydamnbody sooner. Keeping everything on the UEFI partition takes a few more steps, but it's awesome to be more than fairly confident that my install will not break during an update, and also just really demystifying the config.plist after all this time.

I have some Cambridge Soundworks Creative speakers with a digital coax input, which I've always preferred, and while my previous board had a coax out, this one doesn't. Last year I bought a bracket / addon card to connect to the mobo header, and that worked in Windows but of course not OS X. I would say using the guide above helped me finally figure out how to get it working, which just seemed too confusing before. I had to install xcode, mirror the AppleALC kext repository, edit a couple files and recompile for my chipset, and now it works as the Digital Out in my Sound preferences.

I'll finish and say that if MultiBeast etc gets you up and running, and your system works well enough for you, fine. But yeah, I do get it now, and shake my head at that guy quoted above.