Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

I'm trying to download El Captain from the app store with my current system for a new build I'm putting together, but It's telling me my system isn't compatible. Is there some way to force it to download? I'm running 10.8.2

Try option clicking Purchases to see if it will let you download it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Kazinsal posted:

It's not really a Hackintosh question, but this is probably the best place to ask: Has anyone here ever built a rack mounted Power Mac G5 case? A couple are coming into my possession soon through a friend of a friend, and somewhere along the way either my friend or his friend measured the case of a G5 as being about a quarter inch shorter than the spacing between two rack posts if you remove the handles and feet. Since the motherboard mounting side of one of the cases I'm getting is a fair bit scuffed I'm considering using it as a rackmount case.

Back in the day (the G5 has been discontinued for nearly a decade), there were rack ears/guides you could attach to it. Also you could just get a 1U four post shelf.

That being said, there is very little value a G5 can give you today. They are extremely power hungry and the last version to support them was 10.5 Leopard which released 8 years ago.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

PBCrunch posted:

What are the chances the Hackintosh community will be able to make Sierra work on Mac Pro 1,1 hardware? I see these these old 1,1 Mac Pros selling for peanuts.

That is because they launched 10 years ago. MacPro 1,1 is the first Intel Mac Pro and they had issues. I'd stick to a Hackintosh or a newer used Mac.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

PBCrunch posted:

Can you just drop Penryn (Wolfdale) Xeons into a Mac Pro 1,1?

You can, but I can tell you from experience, working on those Mac Pros is painful.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2079/3

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Binary Badger posted:

Gee, I wonder how long until Apple's lawyers pounce on these guys..

http://hacbook.com

They're offering what looks to be a hybrid MacBook/Pro for only $329.. Looks like an old reconditioned HP laptop tweaked to run macOS..

Holy lol they are selling 5 year old hardware with Sandy Bridge processors. Apple going to sue for stealing business practices too. :v:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

well why not posted:

Looking over the big list of 'supported' parts and had a question - what is it about certain motherboards that make them better or worse for installing OSX? Is it drivers, features etc? What determines a good choice? What magic hath gigabyte wrought ?

Mostly it is what chipsets the OEM uses for audio, ethernet, bluetooth, and wifi. Best of my knowledge, the preferred boards use what Apple does in real Macs to keep compatibility high. I think stuff that Gigabyte does with UEFI makes it easier too, but I've been out of the loop for a while on that stuff.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

hey girl you up posted:

Holy crap Apple update your poo poo gooddamn.

This is exactly the problem. The discontent in the Mac community is reaching feverish pitch about the complete lack of updates to the Mac lineup. The Mac Pro is literally identical to the launch unit in 2013.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I got 10.12.4 running on my Asus Z270E GAMING and GTX 1080 tonight after some fiddling to get the graphics card to work. Even using an older SSD, I am blown away at how fast this is. My Mac is a 2013 MBA and my work Mac is a 2015 MBP 15", and this thing just feels like lightning. Granted its running at 4.8GHz with DDR4 3200 and a one of the fastest GPUs you can buy, but still.

There is a reason that Mac fans are pissed at Apple for not catering to power users and professionals: nothing in the current line up can touch this kind performance.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I'm running High Sierra on my z270 / 7700k box and I'm happy with it, but really want MOAR CORES so I am waiting for the iMac Pro and Mythical ~~New~~ Mac Pro, which will give us some drivers for the Xeon C series chip sets that aren't 5 years old.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Shaocaholica posted:

Here's a throwback. Video I made a while ago just for historical reasons about about running 10.6 on a netbook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLW44GZzeOg

I did the same thing on my Mini 9. It was practically unusable and I sold it after like 6 months.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I'm getting the same problem with the catalina installer on my x570 build using the configs from amd-osx.

OC 5.5
Catalina 15.4

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I came to the same realization too. Using the older version of Catalina and doing my config from scratch in OC 5.6 worked.

I have a few things to sort, but I just wanted to know if it worked or not. My only supported GPU is a GTX 680 that I had to mod the firmware to even boot EFI, and its pretty pokey on a modern version of Mac OS with only 2gb of VRAM and a 4k monitor.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I ended up doing a deep dive into OpenCore today and have a way better understanding of how this stuff works now.

I also found there is an open source project to control AIO coolers and some fan controllers that works in Catalina, which is amazing for my NZXT heavy setup.

Now I'm just waiting for RDNA2 and Ampere (or whatever NV is calling it) to see what my next step is because even though HS works with my 1080, a lot of stuff doesn't, like liquidctl.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Opencore has gotten really good, and even on AMD, is not even a cluster gently caress when trying to do updates.

I started using it around 10.15.3 and have done all of the point and supplemental updates without issue.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
The AMD patches for Monterey Beta 1 are out and I installed it really easily with my Big Sur EFI.

Ryzen 9 5950x
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
5600 XT

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Binary Badger posted:

Hmm, wonder if they'll work for Beta 2 which is already out..

Beta 2 breaks the patches, but they are working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

track day bro! posted:

How hard is it to get running on an AMD system? I failed horribly to get hackintosh working on my old x99 system, but I'll be upgrading to a 5900X setup at some point. I was going to try doing it the KVM route which i still might do but I guess I'm gonna need an extra gpu for that.

It's really not that bad. You need to add some AMD specific kernel patches to the open core config, but that's really it.

This is the go to guide for open core, and it has a section for AMD: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

This forum/site is also dedicated to AMD Hackintosh and has been really helpful: https://forum.amd-osx.com/index.php

Open core seems like a lot at first, but it's really not that bad once you go step by step.