Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Is there a way to access the EFI partition in Windows 10 so I can get clover working again? It appears that the latest round of Windows Updates overwrote my bootmgr. Of course I don't have access to my Clover USB.

Edit: Was able to mount the EFI partition via diskpart. Then had to utilize Task Manager to browse/copy/paste/rename the files I needed to be fixed. Windows Explorer is unable to access EFI due to security restrictions.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I just updated from 10.11.2 to 10.11.3 via the appstore without issues.

Zorilla posted:

If you also use Windows on that PC, be sure to set it to reference GMT instead of adjusting the system clock to your time zone (so it behaves the same as OS X):

http://lifehacker.com/5742148/fix-windows-clock-issues-when-dual-booting-with-os-x

My guess is the OS X installer is attempting to perform a checksum verification of the install media over a secured internet connection, and this is failing because the time is wrong. Usually, SSL connections don't care if the client and server clocks are off by several hours, but maybe it's more picky in this instance.

Thanks for this, I was wondering why my clock was always way off when booting into windows.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Is anyone here triple booting OSX/Win/Linux with Clover?

I'm currently dual booting OSX and Win10 and would like to add Linux to the mix, however I'm worried I'm going to completely gently caress up my smooth runnin Hackintosh.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

JayKay posted:

Is anyone here triple booting OSX/Win/Linux with Clover?

I'm currently dual booting OSX and Win10 and would like to add Linux to the mix, however I'm worried I'm going to completely gently caress up my smooth runnin Hackintosh.

Quick update, I just attempted to install Linux Mint and did so without any trouble. Only thing was that I had to switch back to Clover under my boot entries in BIOS.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

This is how I do it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I'm still holding off on Sierra on my U530. Plenty of issues to iron out still before it's a daily driver.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Just did a clean install of Sierra on my Thinkpad T420. It was fairly painless, only had to do some minor futzing with the some patches to get my wifi card (AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB) working. So far so good, everything seems to be functioning.

The only thing that irked me, was the fact I had to basically reinstall Windows (this was a Debian machine) just so I could install the modified BIOS file that removed the wifi whitelist.

Edit: I used this guide

JayKay fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 14, 2016

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah your EFI folder appears to be borked.

Check this out: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/231025-i-lost-my-guid-paritition-label-to-fdisk/

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

YouTuber posted:

I managed to install MacOSX to my Lenovo T420. The (expected) problem I have now is the Wifi card. I have a replacement sitting on my desk ready to be installed; however. I don't know how to update the bios with a modded variant that has the wifi card whitelist removed. The included installers appear to be .exe files. Do I really need to install Windows, update the bios then reinstall MacOSX? Anyone here with a Thinkpad able to enlighten me how they circumvented this problem?

I had to reinstall Windows to flash the modified BIOS on my T420 as I wasn't able to find an alternative.

It's annoying but probably the safest way to do it.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 18, 2016

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

YouTuber posted:

Ah I see, also I think I hosed up and purchased the wrong wifi card. I have an Intel card sitting on my desk.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MY9S692/

This does not work with MacOSX or am I reading this wrong?

What I should have purchased is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GAWMTM/

I was under the impression that no intel cards work with OSX.

This is what I'm using: AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB/BCM94352 802.11/ac/867Mbps WLAN + BT4.0 Half Mini PCI-E Card

It worked without whitelist shenanigans on my Lenovo U530, however I did have to flash the modded BIOS for my T420.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

YouTuber posted:

I'm fully set up with my T420 with a proper wifi-card. How exactly do you handle upgrades? Just download and install from the App-store?

With my T420, I usually check this thread first to see if it breaks anything and THEN just go via App Store.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

red_leg posted:

Do folks really like OS X that much over Debian/Ubuntu/etc?

Debian/Ubutntu doesnt have iMessage, Facetime, or Call Handoff from iPhones.

That being said, since I went back to Android my Hackintosh has been shelved in favor of my other laptops running Arch.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I think all you have to do is mount EFI and open the config.plist in something like Xcode or Clover Configurator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Lenobo has a wifi card whitelist in BIOS that can technically be bypassed but it's no easy feat.

It's a mini PCIe slot.

The whitelist seems to have disapeared after the Broadwell series of laptops (T450/T550/X250 etc.)

Source: I just installed a Dell DW1820A (BCM94350ZAE) card in my T560 for Hackintosh purposes.

revmoo posted:

So if I'm piecing this together right, I need to find a mini PCIe wifi card that OSX supports that is also on a whitelist? But your implication is that is unlikely / impossible and I need to override the whitelist?

This is the exact card I bought from the exact seller. And this was after I mistakenly purchased a Mini-PCIe card M.2 Keyed E for a Yoga 3 Pro when I needed a M.2 keyed A&E.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 21, 2019