Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

revmoo posted:

So if I'm piecing this together right, I need to find a mini PCIe wifi card that OSX supports that is also on a whitelist? But your implication is that is unlikely / impossible and I need to override the whitelist?

Yes. Last time I looked at the whitelist stuff (which was a while ago) you had to disassemble the bios, patch it, then flash it and hope it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Surely his Win10 is already going to be installed with an EFI bootloader.

Clover chains fine into Windows for me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I feel like we're all hoping that the new driver model in System 10.15 will allow Nvidia to release their own drivers from here on out.
(And they're waiting for this so they don't sink engineering effort into the deprecated driver system?)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I hope you're not right, but you probably are so at least we should be getting Navi drivers soon and we can just get 5700XT instead.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Every time netkas' blog updates I get hopeful but nothing yet.
(If you're bored, the last post was a slightly interesting tidbit about 32 bit libraries.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Trying to get the Catalina installer to boot, looking at the verbose boot log I can't even get past the pre-boot step.
(Apologies for the vagueness, not sure what it's called but it's a clearly different type of logging and it's trying to get the boot volume .dmg)

Am I missing something simple?
Z370, 8700, latest clover and 10.15.4 boot USB.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks for the reply, if it makes any difference I have High Sierra working fine at the moment.

What graphics are you using? Intel iGPU
Can you be more detailed on your specs?
Manufacturer and model? Gigabyte Z370XP SLI
Amount of ram, what slots they are in? (Believe it or not, this can matter) 2x8GB slots 1&3
is it actually halting? Yes, last log line is that weird ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What does the error say if you have one? Couldn't find any google-able errors. It's the weird log where things are preceded with [EB|xxxxxxx] I can try to capture a legible photograph...

---

VVV good point, it was F5 which is well out of date so I will update it to latest (F15.)

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 1, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Boot log:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Maybe it's a 10.15.4 thing specifically?
I might try to find a download of say 10.15.2.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I was using Clover but will give OpenCore a shot also.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Downloaded 10.15.2.app and re-built my USB. The installer booted easily with Clover, I haven't actually tried installing it yet but obviously that will be my next step.

So to mayodreams I suggest downloading an old version of Cata installer.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

All upgraded.

I had issues booting into my upgraded disk with 5700XT installed. (black screen after boot)
This seems to have been caused by having an old Clover on the same disk, even though that Clover wasn't being used to boot.
I booted into a fresh install of Catalina on another disk (no black screen issues), upgraded Clover on the EFI partition on my system disk, and was fine after that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm having trouble with builtin audio. As far as I can tell the issue might be that AppleALC kext isn't being loaded?

I run `kextstat | grep -v com.apple` and it's not listed. (Neither is WhateverGreen, although Lilu is.)
I have confirmed that the latest version is installed in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.15

Trawling forum posts shows some people with no success until they put the kext into /S/L/E, which obviously involves disabling SIP.
Would prefer to remain vanilla...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I haven't used OpenCore but I can't see why that wouldn't work.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I think it's a bad time to make a Hack even completely ignoring the ARM thing.
High Sierra is almost unusable now.
Catalina is a bit of a shitshow in the first place and doesn't support NVidia. AMD "works" but is so hit and miss.
Pack it up boys, we had a good run.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I think Catalina actually fixed a problem I had in High Sierra syncing with my iPhone 3G...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I had a 1080 and was running HS up until recently. Safari ages out of support so quickly and I was running into more and more software that wanted Mojave at minimum.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I haven't kept up with OS X/PC hardware compatibility past Intel 8th gen (Z370 mobo) but I've heard it's pretty bad. It works, but you have to do a lot of loving around with the tables and emulating NVRAM.
loving around with GPUs seems to be worse than ever, too. (Might not apply if you just want a basic Mac with Intel iGPU.)
AirDrop/Handoff, if you want it, requires you to buy particular Wifi/BT cards.

Apart from that there's not any limitations I can think of.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'll put a caveat on that though - if you want a powerful Mac (and are willing to stuff around with getting it setup) then a Hackintosh is absolutely the way to go.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

Just dropped a WD external drive and now it beeps and isn’t recognized by disk utility. I’m hosed, aren’t I?

Wrong thread but most likely the disk itself is fine and just the USB part is hosed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

No idea on the 10th gen Intel iGPU in particular, but it will work fine in theory.
If your monitor has multiple inputs you could even use that to switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

M1 really changed the value proposition of a real Mac.
Used to be that a Mac mini or whatever was some low end Intel trash so almost anything you cobbled together yourself would be better. Now that's not so true.

Killing Nvidia cards was the previous nail in the coffin.
I bought a 5700XT in early 2020 just for Catalina but that honestly turned out to be a waste.

RIP