Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Wasabi the J posted:

I love the feedback for 10.11.1

There is no RAID support in Disk Utility anymore on 10.11.1? Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

enMTW posted:

I don't think there was any support in 10.11 either.

The is truly mind-blowing.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

~Coxy posted:

The old Mac Pro was also significantly more expensive than the old Power Mac G5s which is weird.

Back in the G4 days a tower was something that a prosumer or enthusiast could and would buy but they've been moving further and further away from that.

Well they have positioned the iMacs are the prosumer/enthusiast desktop market. The trashcans are the professional option. I do find it a little strange that they haven't brought a more traditional desktop machine out. I think they are giving the Hackintosh market to that realm though. Theoretically if you are needing more hardware for whatever task you are throwing at it you have also spent money on the software which is where Apple is looking to make money now.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

8ender posted:

Honestly most companies using macs in a professional capacity don't really give a poo poo. They bought decked out cheese graters before and now they buy decked out trash cans or big ol iMacs. I don't think upgradability ever factors into the equation.

You are right. I am meaning more the end user not business. Let's say you are shooting 4k video or what have you. You are likely going to build a Hackintosh but then spend the money on Final Cut/Avid among other things.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Have you considered using an eGPU?

eGPUs on the Mac have become VERY affordable and pretty much pain free. Getting one of the TB3 models will do you well for years. I had one for work for awhile and it was great.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am sitting on Mojave even on my real Macs if for no other reason then to keep Safari 12. 13 is drat near worthless.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Binary Badger posted:

It's also about a bunch of Mac developers that are too lazy to recompile their code with the 64 bit flag enabled, or worse unwilling to rewrite their code so that it will work for 64-bit instead of 32-bit operation.

Particularly nasty are all the printer/scanner Mac drivers stuck at 32-bit; since a lot of those drivers are programmed by third party developers, a lot of vendors aren't going to spend the money to go back to those guys and tell them to make 64-bit versions, especially for devices 3 years old or more.. unless a vendor realizes they have a customer base in full revolt, they're either not going to lift a finger (saves money) or just tell people to buy the latest version of their doodad (makes money.)

Not to white knight Apple too far, but they did tell all their developers months ago to get ready for 64-bit or have their products blow up in their faces..

Well to play devils advocate here I think it was too early to kill 32-bit apps and more importantly I don’t think Apple realized how much 32-but software was still being used regularly and how much was not and likely never will be updated.

I think someone there thought that MacOS would be like iOS in which the switch to 64-bit only for the most part be painless as anything not updated would be so old it wouldn’t be widely used anyway. They also made it 64-bit only in their dev tools for years prior to the switch.

It was a grave mistake and one has to wonder how they will handle things going forward. If you have a large percentage of the user base holding off on a older version of the OS to be able to use the hardware/software they own and/or use it is not good for them.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

oohhboy posted:

Was there a compelling reason to drop 32bit?

Not really at least to the consumer.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

hey girl you up posted:

I've talked to a number of people with 32-bit versions of Office. That alone is not a cheap upgrade.

Doesn't help that 64-bit Office is poop and a lot of plugins don't work with it either.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Tonymac has been a lovely place for years. I am kind of surprised anyone still posts there since the guy who runs it has basically been a open shitlord for years.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I personally think it is a major miss step if they do go through with this. A can tell you for a fact that the only reason why Apple has gained market share in the business sector has been because their units can run Windows as well. If they start phasing out Intel based Macs you are going to see every business start phasing them out as well.

That says nothing for the software companies that for several finally got updated Intel MacOS software not that long ago. I somehow doubt they are going to put that level of investment in again.

The only thing I can think of is Apple is going to come out with a glorified Chromebook. ARM based, runs IOS programs and a stripped down MacOS. poo poo it out at 3-400 bucks you aren’t eating into any of your existing products and you could probably sell a ton to schools instead of Chromebooks.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The bigger issues will be how the market reacts. I know there are a ton of companies that finally started allowing Apple purchases because they had Bootcamp/Virtualization support and that took awhile to happen. I am not sure who the market is going to be for these now as anyone doing any real work of any kind will run right towards a Windows machine now. Otherwise you’ll see someone buy a iPad for a couple hundred and get basically the same functionality now.

The fact that they didn’t really show any benchmarks compared to intel units it very telling as well.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I have known a few people that use Hackintoshes for production and whatnot but they treat them like every mission critical machine. They aren’t online and don’t get updates. This is pretty common with music/video production though.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a test upon Apple. I can’t see their ARM chips able to compete with end intel chips. I can see this being what pushes a lot of creatives to Windows as MacOS becomes a bunch of ports of the stripped down apps from the IPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

GutBomb posted:

The vast majority of their product lineup is still Intel based machines. I think there will likely be Intel builds of MacOS for at least the next 4 years.

Probably longer. There is some significant complaints from the business sector about moving to ARM. My guess is that they will move their lower end/consumer products to ARM and keep the professional stuff on Intel/x86 at least for awhile.