Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
I updated my Hackintosh today and I'm not getting any video from my GTX 970 with the Nvidia driver – the Apple driver works, but everything looks hosed up and it takes forever for it to refresh whatever is on the screen. I don't really know why this happened or what caused it since the only things that were installed were a security update (2015-004) and the command-line Xcode tools. After this happened, the Nvidia web driver updater popped up to tell me about a new version, so I installed it and I'm still getting nothing.

I tried replacing the AppleGraphicsControl kext even though it didn't seem to be updated, and out of desperation I even generated a MacPro3,1 SMBIOS config; I usually use a cloned MacPro6,1 SMBIOS and haven't had any problems with it up until now. It still boots and is reachable over the network, so I've been loving around with it using VNC, but I can't figure out what the gently caress went wrong. Anyone know what's going on with this? It's on 10.10.5 14F1021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
Well, I kinda fixed it by using an old config.plist that had my integrated Intel graphics working. So I booted using that over HDMI, logged in, and then switched my monitor's input to DisplayPort, which is connected to my 970.

I have no idea why this works or how, because the last time I tried this OS X would kernel panic if I had both devices enabled. I'd still like to figure out why I can't boot with just the 970 though. Having to switch inputs every time I reboot is going to be a pain in the rear end, and I'm using a really old config.plist.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

enMTW posted:

That is very weird. Unsure. It doesn't work with MacPro3,1?

Nope. No idea what happened, but I'm afraid to reboot :ohdear: