Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Crunchy Black posted:

I've got the patcher, currently on Mojave. I was hoping it would fix the issues I'm having both with my BeatsX (randomly dropping mic requiring a restart) and PowerBeatsPro (will pair but never actually connect or pass audio).

Didja try downloading the Beats Updater? I had an issue where my PowerBeats3 wouldn't connect to my rMBP until I updated it.. My PB Pro refused to configure Hey Siri until I updated it to the latest, dunno how I got an early firmware on it when I only bought it 3 months ago..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

In dumb people terms, what does switching to ARM mean for Hackintosh people?

Pretty much means you're gonna be running Mojave or Catalina and maybe the next 10.16 (Monterey? El Segundo? Pismo Beach?!) but probably not anything after that if it's not released on Intel.

Apple's A13/14 ARMs are likely to be proprietary builds that won't work with the generic ARM desktops out there.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah and on top of that, pretty much the whole Apple crew (Cook, Hair Force One, Phil Schiller) has stated at one time or another that iOS and macOS shall ever remain distinct OSes, but that there's nothing that says they can't borrow elements from each other.

Hell, Apple has already branched iOS into tvOS and iPadOS. And there's a more recent rumor that Apple plans on forking off iOS into its old name, iPhoneOS.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

otter posted:

I agree that there's some time left and we shouldn't smash our hackintoshes in the streets quite yet.

We've got Catalina running on Mac Pro 3,1s, 4,1s and 5,1s, I've a feeling 10.16 will be hackable to work on the same machines.

quote:

I was thinking about this (instead of working and I seriously need to get some work done but ADHD and work are not compatible today) and until Monday we won't know much for sure, but Catalina is -probably- going to be the last version with user-accessible kexts that we can tinker with. When you think about it they only typically support systems for what? 4 OS releases after original? Which these days is 4-5 years.

Maybe leaning more towards four. Sierra (10.12) was introduced in 9/16, but received its last Security Update on 9/19. You could probably make a case that when Security Update 2020-001 came out for High Sierra in January 2020 and NOT Sierra, you could consider Sierra was officially shitcanned as of that release. High Sierra was released 9/17, so you could argue that if the pattern continues, High Sierra will get its last Security Update this year and when Security Update 2021-001 gets issued for Mojave and not HS, then it's been shitcanned too, and right on schedule after 4 years, approximately.

quote:

I can see 10.16 checking for a T2 prior to install / boot.

Mmmmm, nah, maybe it'll check for one but I doubt it'll refuse to continue the boot sequence if one's not there. I wouldn't bet on a T2 being required for boot until 2023, after the last 2015 rMBP can be considered vintage and kaput.

quote:

No unofficial hardware after that. Last machines that didn't have one where released in what? 2017?

Try 2015, the last of the venerable rMBPs. T1 chips appeared in 2016 rMBPs, then T2 chips in 2017 and later machines.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Big Sur Beta 1 has already been successfully installed on 2012 Mac Minis and 2011 MacBook Pros using a hack/patcher (not from dosdude yet), so Hackintoshes should be coming up shortly.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

There's already RDNA2 / AMD 6x00 support in Big Sur, and there's suspicions that there will be new Mac Pro 2019 MPX modules with AMD 6x00 cores.

But if you want 6x00 support in any older OS, you're likely waiting for Godot..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hmm, wonder if they'll work for Beta 2 which is already out..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Tried using OCLP? I'm running a 2012 Mini on Monterey beta 2 using the latest version, 0.2.2..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I mean, technically Hackintoshing is still alive for now, because Monterey is Intel / M1, but you can stick a fork in it when Apple announces that the next macOS will be M1 only.

The fat lady hasn't sung the Intel swan song yet, but she's currently clearing her throat..

The odds are that the next macOS in fall of 2022 will be M1 only, since their migration will supposedly be complete when the M1 Mac Pro releases, but there's rumors that there's gonna be at least one more Xeon / Ice Lake based Mac Pro; I dunno that they'd release a new Intel Mac Pro only to yank out the carpet from under it a few months after..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

they're also selling an intel mac pro right now and just upgraded it

Well, more like Apple is now offering several different flavors of the AMD 6X00 as amazingly overpriced GPU upgrades..

The CPU upgrades to Ice Lake haven't happened yet..