Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does anyone have any experience with using Garageband and Xcode when running a virtual machine'd Hackintosh? I can't really justify buying an extra hard-drive for a full boot for just dipping into those pieces of software occasionally when I'm bored (especially since I'd still want to be doing all my Windows stuff at the same time), but I'm not sure how well either of those programs would run - or in the case of Xcode, whether I could send the app I'd be trying to develop to my iPhone in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

enMTW posted:

Works fine, both of them.
Awesome, thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

enMTW posted:

All graphical effects are slow (as you don't have Quartz) but those apps can be used. Was a bit early in the morning, missed the 'Virtual Machined' part.
Ah well, I'll give it a go anyway and see how it runs. Alternatively I could see if it's simple enough to make a bootable USB drive out of an old stick I can find in a drawer.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

enMTW posted:

What motherboard do you have?

A 256gb SSD is a measly $60 these days, just saying. 128 is even cheaper. You can install Tuxera NTFS once you have the OS installed and use your main drive for actual file storage.
ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150.

SSDs cost a little more than that in the UK (about $60 for the 128), but it's really more that I just wanna screw around in OSX and those apps and I'm pretty broke after just upgrading my PC. Just got the VM setup but I'll need to apply some kind of fix to get iCloud working, I'll have a look at that over the weekend.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

enMTW posted:

That motherboard isn't covered by the guide. It is possible to get OS X running on it, though. Consult this guide while stepping through mine in the OP http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302041-guide-asrock-h97-pro4-yosemite-with-clover-uefi-installation/

Ah, ok.
Cheers! I'll read it over the weekend. :)