Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Henchman of Santa posted:

Michigan is one of the best public schools in the country and most of their dumb fans could barely get into college, let alone UM.

I grew up in Michigan and this is the truth. MSU fans tended to be MSU grads or at least one-time students of MSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

wayfinder posted:

Cirque Désolé

I am livid I have never thought of this.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Anosmoman posted:

To be fair, the least likely way to get in trouble by recklessly killing someone, is using a car to do it.

Yes. On the other side of the above anecdote, I cycled a lot as a teenager and had multiple acquaintances killed by drivers who were cited for wrongdoing but never got anything more than a moving violation. If anything happens, it's usually by the family who filed a private suit.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

darkwasthenight posted:

I stayed in Paris last year and my hotel overlooked a four-way junction where all four sets of lights would apparently turn green at once. There was a constant knot of gridlocked cars in the middle blocking each others turns while the drivers hurled abuse. Priceless entertainment and definitely better than French TV. It amazes me anyone would continue to choose to drive in Paris though. That same trip I saw a driver lose a front wheel and drive off into the distance without stopping.

Pure stubbornness? I've been to Paris a few times and the only time I've ever been there in a car is when we landed in Paris and then had to drive to a destination and it was awful. Central Paris is full of rich people who believe that they own the roads and tourists that don't know what they're doing. When my parents came to visit me in high school, I took them up on to the top of the Arc de Triomphe and we spent most of an hour watching confused people try to Frogger their way across Place de l'Etoile and then a caravan of police vehicles trying to get through by going on the inside of all of the traffic.

It was beautiful, like a ballet gone horribly wrong.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's 12 roads going on or off that roundabout, plus France's "Give way to traffic entering except not always because France" laws. They tried various ways of making it a saner junction then eventually went "gently caress it" and ripped out all the lights and markings and left it up to people to work out for themselves.

Now any collision at the Arc De Triomphe is automatically adjudged 50/50 fault by French insurance companies, because even if someone killdozers the wrong way round it and destroys a hundred cars each of those hundred cars were being driven by someone dumb enough to try and get around the Arc De Triomphe so are just as to blame.

On the flip side to that, when I lived there, my rugby team had a game in Brussels and we were super confused trying to get to this field and ended up almost going down a one-way street and stopped in the middle of a 6 way intersection. No one even honked at us! All four of us were just waving at them like, "yes, French plates. We are from out of town. So sorry! Very sorry!"

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Yeah a cab driver would totally have just let it happen. Yay for cab drivers, letting themselves get assaulted by drunk dudebros.

Uber is, at its core, a ride-sharing service. This driver had mace in his car for this, so I think he's pretty equipped to deal with that dickhead who assaulted him.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

What gets me about these is that you can hear that there's audio recording (you hear the crash or the tire squeal or the radio playing), but there's no reaction from the driver when someone does some seriously crazy poo poo. Maybe I'm just a loud driver, because I'm usually like "no no no no no no" when I see someone swerving into my lane.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

chitoryu12 posted:

Like ostensibly, I don't approve of beating up the dude for something relatively harmless. At the same time, he was annoying the gently caress out of everyone and ignored non-violent attempts to get him to stop.

Maybe this was God's way of telling him "Stop yelling poo poo at people in the suburbs."

You know that guy does that literally every Sunday, too. And he wears the camera because he's been probably threatened with trespassing, probably punched before. Especially downtown where I live there are Jehovah's Witnesses on every corner and the infamous "Repent to Jesus, Ye Sinners" dude with a microphone, but he probably knows well enough not to specifically harass people or get his face punched in.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
What's also funny is that when it was first reported, he was made out to be this sainted "Chicago-area cop," even though it's probably closer to Milwaukee than Chicago. Now that it's been ruled a suicide, the same news outlets are calling him an "Illinois" cop. Both are technically correct; but now Chicago doesn't want him.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

wayfinder posted:

That's not all!

Just saw both these things on the morning news in the Chicago area. This entire saga is like the longest Made For TV movie ever.

I can't wait until Law and Order covers it.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
What's also hilarious about the Fox Lake telenovela drama is that when it was possible he was murdered he was from the Chicago area and now they're saying an "Illinois officer" or specifying that Fox Lake is "close to the Wisconsin border, God forbid anyone make the connection to the Chicago Police Department.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I thought I read that his weapon was buried nearby in a shallow hole.

And honestly, I've read more about how that 9 year old kid's father is "part of a gang and totally knows who shot his kid but won't snitch" and that the mother has "gang tattoos" (read: any tattoos on a black person) than that the Chicago PD is questioning anyone, so I'm fine with us focusing on this shitbag cop and his family.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Didn't some study in the last 5 years say that they thought cats just saw their humans as large cats that were bad at hunting? Why would they be freaked out by just a larger cat face? Or do the cats think they themselves have human faces? :catdrugs:

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I had almost that exact same thing happen to me. Found a big snapping turtle in the middle of the road, picked it up so it wouldn't get run over. Fortunately, I was holding it near the back, hands on either side of it's tail. It whipped its head around to bite me, and missed by what had to be less than an inch. Somehow I didn't drop it but now when I see a turtle in the road I give it the finger.

I used to kind of lightly press on the back of their shells with my foot when I found turtles in the road. They usually started to scoot and couldn't get to my tasty, tasty fingers.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Here it is. The only time a dude has gone to the hospital with a huge stick in his rectum and not lied when he said it wasn't intentional.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Wanamingo posted:

Courtesy of the worst things for sale

This girl's hair reminds me of my grade school friend's youngest sister. Their mom didn't really do much for them, but for some reason, the youngest daughter (5ish) had to have hair down to her waist. Mom was pretty much consumed by dial-up internet chatrooms and for an entire summer, she didn't realize that her daughter's hair was in a permanent bun on top of her head. It was so bad that it had dreaded together and started to smell. They had to nearly buzz her head.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

MF_James posted:

Dumb Chicago thief.

I also live in Chicago and had $1.75 of laundry quarters stolen from my car because I left it open.

Another Chicago schadenfreude story courtesy first of Reddit.

Guy posts because his friend was assaulted in Lakeview on Friday night. Context is that Lakeview contains both Wrigley Field as well as the bulk of the city's gay nightlife and during the past year has been experiencing a big uptick in violent crime as well as a lot of white, upper middle-class families who have moved in to the Gayborhood since it's all nice and stuff now. They are pissed that people are getting stabbed in the street and are blaming it on "gang violence" aka black people.

Kid turns up in the hospital, friend decides to blame it on a mugging gone wrong and it turns out he was just a drunk idiot who was running and fell on the sidewalk. His GoFundMe is going well, though.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Lareine posted:

Kinda seems poorly designed if you can shatter it so easily.

I think it's 3D printed. The tolerances for it to move must be a lot smaller than the tolerances that a 3D printer can produce.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Aramoro posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the US that 'don't co-operate with the police' is advice people give all the time? What kind of hosed up country do you live in that that's a reasonable thing to do?

If you refuse to provide a roadside breathalyser sample here they just arrest you for failing to provide a sample, I don't see how refusing to co-operate is going to magically make anything better for you.

Cooperating with police in many cases allows them to incriminate you on something unrelated to the reason that you were stopped in the first place. It might seem like a dick move not to invite a cop into your house to talk to you about something you witnessed, but then they're able to look wherever they want.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Jastiger posted:

The above is true.

OR you can move to a place like Des Moines where the police aren't raging dick heads because the populace aren't raging dick heads making everyone on edge.*

The amount of stress the average citizen in a major city experiences on their BEST day has to dwarf the stress in a Des Moines or Omaha on their worst day.

* If you are white.

Also remember that cop who embezzled money and shot himself and blamed BLM? He was from a small rural town.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Is it so hard to be there for your partner who is clearly blinded by grief even if you don't have the moment when you say, "I told you so, honey!" Just be there for her and spend less time posting about it on the Internet.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
The Rock is a gem of a human being.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

I heart bacon posted:

I got the same thing. I was 21 when I moved to AZ. We could go online to update address and have a new license sent to me instead of wasting time at MVD. That was aweome. After we moved to Minnesota they would look at the expiration date like WTF? That was funny. My wife had to test here in Minnesota and they made her parallel park, too. I never even had to do that when I tested in Michigan.

More and more states are removing the parallel parking part of the exam. I got my first driver's license in Michigan and I had to get 3/4 of the way into the spot in the mid 2000's. I stalled the car about 7 times but I got it in! Now I parallel park in my sleep.

On the other hand, when I was in France my host sister was trying to pass her test and she ended up taking it three times because the first two she mis-shifted, corrected before releasing the clutch and they failed her.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Desuwa posted:

How do you prove that I exist? Likewise I cannot prove that you exist. I could be a brain in a jar being fed sensory information.

There are a lot of things, most "things" in fact, that you cannot prove beyond all possible alternative explanations. "Negatives" aren't special and don't exist as a set of things.

Even ignoring those kinds of things, it's possible to prove that physical unicorns don't exist in this universe. It's just not practical, as it would involve somehow confirming that no unicorn is present anywhere in the universe at once, but that's not "impossible", just impractical. It's very easy to change it (unicorns only exist sometimes, unicorns are not observable, etc) so that it's impossible to disprove but it's just as easy to make things that are impossible to prove.

As a simple proof, let's assume I can't prove "negatives."

So for every X I cannot prove "not X." Therefore I also can't prove "not not X" either, and since "not not X" is just "X" I can't prove anything, at all.

It's like Plato's cave except I'm on fire and screaming.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Historically burning bright before the end of the primaries is an indication that the person won't become the nominee.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

NiceGuy posted:

Oh boy do I have something juicy for you guys.

I might just simply ask, do any of you recall the term 'affluenza'?

Here is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy

That article doesn't mention that the kid's father is facing charges for pretending to be a police officer as well:

“Fred Couch repeatedly told North Richland Hills patrol officers that he was a reserve officer with the Lakeside Police Department and displayed what appeared to be a police badge and ID”

What a loving mess of a family.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
At least he's probably completely unemployable? I hope? Are his parents even that rich because they kind of seem like white trash that happens to make 6 figures but has no real savings or investments to keep it up if Dad loses his upper management job.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

lfield posted:

I wasn't paying mine in university in the UK. Then one of my housemates opened the door to them, invited them in, and made them a cup of tea.

The most English story ever.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Yeah well my uncle's coworker was in a freak accident and the EMT said that if he had a seatbelt on it would have killed him but he's dead now because he got in a motorcycle accident and wasn't wearing a helmet but that's unrelated.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Subjunctive posted:

Why is that lovely? Lots of artists (sculptors, painters, etc) make single-copy works that are priced at what the market will bear. "That lovely Warhol didn't make a scan of his painting available with millions of others for $9.99/mo!"?

Because visual arts and music aren't the same genre?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

CommissarMega posted:

While this is primo grade-A scootyfrooty, I still hope the kids come out okay. It's just chicken pox, right? Not that dangerous?

It's a sign!

Chickenpox is pretty common in elementary schools and most kids aren't vaccinated against it until a certain age and only unless they haven't already had it (I never got it and at 16 got the vaccine just in case). It's very dangerous for adults and kids with compromised immune systems.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Those loving bleeding heart do-gooder Greenies. First they used up all the sunlight and now they going to use up all the wind!

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2009_09/020014.php

Gonna send this to someone who has a Master's in Thermodynamics.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
It was on his birthday, too.

e:f,b same wording too!

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
The judge recommended 263 years. Sentencing is yet to take place.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Railing Kill posted:

Me too. He looks like George Zimmerman (and is somehow a worse human being, which is saying quite a bit).

Something tells me George Zimmerman is a rapist or will be a rapist. The stories from his ex-wife are pretty bad. Also he makes money by selling paintings commemorating the time he killed a child.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Fearless Leader crushes mud puddle. Tonight we feast on the usual meager amounts of porridge.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

This is most assuredly a Chicago red line train and this was only the second weirdest thing that happened, because I'm sure before this was being filmed, something else loving bizarre went down.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Roro posted:

You're all being loving pathetic about this and I hope you're all involved in a hoverboard battery explosion.

Some personal schadenfreude I thought I'd share. One of my "friends" (read, person I went to school with and only keep on Facebook for moments like this) proposed to his girlfriend on Christmas Day. Aww. Unfortunately, she didn't want to be proposed to on Christmas Day because she thought it was embarrassing - and had told him this to try and prevent him from proposing on Christmas Day - and after a very long fight they have apparently split up. Serves you right for not listening to her, fucker!

Being proposed to on Christmas/Christmas Eve just seems so stressful. You're already dealing with family and presents and travel and money and making everyone happy that you won't get time to bask in your engagement and instead you get to shuffle around telling everyone ten minutes before thanking grandma for getting you slippers that aren't your size. I said this to some friends of mine a few years ago and that Christmas Eve, my brother proposed to his now wife. Eeesh.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Gorilla Salad posted:

Good lord, you can think the hoverboards are stupid without being a luddite. Because seriously, they're loving stupid and dangerous.

If you want to get around easily and not constantly be at risk of falling and killing yourself, make one of these:

Oh yeah, a motor slapped on teeny tiny wheels that were not made for motorized speeds on a child's toy looks really safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
People think that any amount of bad press will make the company bend over backwards for them. Sometimes it's true; I had a huge problem with my cell phone carrier once charging me for 7 iPhones for no reason, then putting the money back a few hours later, meaning I still got hit with a bunch of bank fees. I bitched about it on Twitter and got someone who messaged me immediately and worked with my bank to get them all reversed, plus gave me a credit. She probably thought they would fall over themselves to give her a free meal instead of calling out the bullshit.