Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It actually means you're literally holding sex using a squid.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

I look forward to a time when all societal subsets have visited Mount Everest to prove anyone can do it. Can wait until someone spends 50k and endures months of training and weeks of deprivation just so they can leave a Rainbow Dash figurine on top of the Earth.

EDIT: or maybe climb the mountain in a fursuit.

I think we can accomplish this with a team of about 4 or so people. We can already assume that a bunch of normal straight white people have achieved the feat so all we need is one person for every [insert your own godawful tumblerized lineup of traits here]. And we'll call them the Everestocrats!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Rule #1 of fire: there's always more fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6tGZx8uvlY

The thing that always gets me about these compilations is the people literally setting themselves on fire then being surprised when they're on fire. What the hell did you think was gonna happen? :psyduck:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Wapole Languray posted:

The issue is that most financially stable countries have figured out that the Olympics is a giant waste of time and money, leaving the bidding up to less stable countries who also generally happen to be riddled with hilarious amounts of corruption, which is why you get the shitshows we've seen with Sochi and Rio, and Beijing was real close to being the same except the Chinese government takes international face very seriously. Wondering if Tokyo and Pyeongchang will have good competent Olympics again, or will actually drop their hosting because of Rio.

Tokyo will keep going with it. Japan is terribly proud of itself for winning the Olympic bid. So far the few hiccups they've had are they accidentally hired a serial plagiarist to make the logo and the stadium design competition has apparently been rigged so that only Japanese architects have a chance. If you've ever been to Tokyo though, you may have noticed that the city is already operating over capacity on a daily basis and I'm not quite sure what they're planning to do with the extra few hundred thousand people.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Always a classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn69hfjqAsg
Thieving monkeys and a black lab thats like: "Its okay, food guy. I still have my stuffed penguin!" :3:

The accident with the red convertible at the end is a nice little textbook example of what not to do. The guy starts off correcting the right way with counter-steering but then he makes the big mistake of panic braking, the weight shifts to the front tires giving them sudden increased grip however the tires are now facing the wrong direction and the car pulls hard right. The driver attempts a second correction but it's already too late, the front tires have breached the optimal slip angle and the car goes into an uncontrollable 4 wheel slide.

Of course all this is a lot easier to process after the fact but that's why you work your way up to a fast car.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

But I'll never understand someone who voluntarily drives their car into waist-deep water, or drives away with a boot on their wheel. What the gently caress. You're just guaranteed trashing your vehicle for no loving purpose. What goes through someone's head when they do something that stupid?

Well driving 4x4s into waist deep water is a thing, only the ones who didn't make it turn up in the fail videos. If you look at the video you can see the car has a snorkel and the engine is actually still going so I assume they just couldn't get traction on the river bed.

Here's a video of some people gloriously failing to fail at river crossing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5dbi2ECnnA

RillAkBea has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Aug 20, 2016

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Being an F1 driver is pretty much a superpower to begin with though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

grumplestiltzkin posted:

WRT to the flaming cars, it can happen totally unrelated to any fuel being dumped into/out of the exhaust (though obviously that doesn't help). The lambo video in particular is a good example. The video is from Dubai, so it's probably 110F/43C+, and he's revving the engine for a good bit while stationary. The engine in that makes 700hp (assuming he hasn't messed with it.) Considering that most cars don't break 40% thermal efficiency (less than 40% of the power generated is used to move the car, the rest is heat/noise/overcoming friction) you're talking A LOT of heat. Since he's stationary, he's getting practically zero cooling on his car which is generating insane amounts of heat in an already insanely hot environment. Combine that with the adhesives used to hold the car together (gotta love aerospace adhesives!) and something is going to get hot enough to reach it's autoignite point, either insulation or the glue itself. Then he keeps revving it because "I'm a rich oil shiek and I'm too important to sit in traffic and people need to know. People are honking at me? Better rev more!:downs:" and boom, a few hundred grand disappears in flames.

See also: Any extended "burnout" video. Like this one for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI7h_LBifIM

You don't even need fancy aerospace crap to autoignite, there's a fair amount of regular stuff in the engine bay that could fail under extreme operating temperatures and ruin your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

How does this guy not IMMEDIATELY die of ARDS?

I liked the part where he tried to chug water to help it along. Like how was that supposed to even help?