Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

VoteTedJameson posted:

I don't know what to call irritating tumblrites anymore, cause you're right "SJW" pretty much belongs to MRAs and other lovely reactionary types now. But I need something to call people who turn legitimate social issues into look-at-me-I'm-so-special-and-progressive bumpersticker dogshit. :shrug:

You answered your own question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

My step mom got me pokemon red for Christmas way back in the day, but she didn't want the box to be too obvious, so she put it in a Ritz crackers box before she wrapped it.

I thanked her very nicely for the crackers, because I'm a normal person, I could handle a disappointing gift like that, and Ritz are actually delicious. I did not break down, and actually thought it was really funny once I figured it out.

Kids are okay with jokes, even from "authority" you dorks.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Don't skip that first one, and watch the whole thing.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Every lawyer I know, including the one I helped with a mock trial when he was in law school about drunk driving, featuring a honest-to-goodness real judge who agreed, insists right and left that you take the breathalyzer every drat time. There are a million ways to get a breathalyzer result thrown out, but you will almost never see the same happen with the fact you refused the test. It'll be staring you in the face in court every time, and you will lose your license for a while no matter what in many states.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I do not support drunk driving in any way and hope no one buzzed ever beats the rap, but don't make up legal bs.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

RabbitWizard posted:

You have a speed limit between 100(km/h) and 120 on most of the autobahn. There are only some parts where you have no limit (but if you're faster than 130 and crash with someone driving below 130 you're at full fault insurance-wise, if you survive). There is a speed minimum but it's like 60 or something. Just saying so no one thinks the speed signs at the autobahn are the minimum you have to drive.

My mom, based on a couple trips to Germany, adores the autobahn. This is a woman who is terrified of speeds over 60mph. She loves it because, as she claims, there is a huge factor that solves sooooo many problems: the left lane, like most places, is the passing lane, but Germany actually enforces it hard.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

Why do you feel that way, bro?

#kobe

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Lu Yan posted:

Is there a german word for anti-schadenfreude? Because that is what this is:
http://youtu.be/hStfb6DhlsY
Its those Viking genes.

I was very excited for this because it opened with every element needed for some dank freude: nighttime, big storm, expensive boats, waves crashing over the dock, no handrails, one hand taken up with camera, etc. It could go so many different places, all beautiful.

And then nothing loving happened.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

hanales posted:

I would assume it has to be his role, as he seems pretty useless as a fighter, or strategist, or anything else, and he doesn't have the force. I'm thinking his "mental conditioning" kicks in and he turns heel, only to return in movie three and saved through the POWER OF LOVE.

Hmm. Never considered this but it makes a bit of sense.

I thought it would be really cool if he became a non-jedi (or force-using in general) lightsaber expert. We saw Grievious do it (kinda), so it's possible, and I would love to see someone just be a pure sword fighter: no magic and a minimum of guns. And Finn wasn't terrible with the saber despite a complete lack of training.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Okay I know some of you like legal tongue lashings, so here you go:
gently caress You, Judge Day: The Court Opinion

The gist is that a judge in OR got a high-publicity trial for refusing to marry gay people. Turns out, he did sooooooo much more than that, and the prosecution wasn't even aware of his bigoted marriage policy until partway through their preparation. Well, he is unanimously guilty of a lot of poo poo, and the Opinion that is gonna de-judge him is brutal and hilarious.

quote:

After Judge Cheryl Pellegrini was appointed to the bench in 2014, Judge Day invited her out to breakfast. Judge Day had been opposed to her appointment. At that breakfast, Judge Day indicated to her that his objections were not due to her qualifications to serve on the bench, but were due to her sexual orientation as a lesbian. Judge Pellegrini was relieved that Judge Day's objection to her appointment did not have to do with her abilities.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

If Obama can't appoint anyone, the next Dem (assuming they win) should appoint Obama.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Germansimp posted:

New FailArmy, about breaking stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu-jDrGQJLU

Fairly certain the scene starting from 2:54 on includes attempted vehicular manslaughter, though.

Is someone out there selling $5 bikes to kids? Why are all those bikes just falling apart? My bike took a dead-on hit from a car while I was riding it and it only bent the rear wheel and the frame by such a slight amount I couldn't even see it.

Edit for clarity: the rear wheel was totalled, the frame was ever so slightly bent.

Samfucius has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Feb 24, 2016

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Nitrox posted:

And by the way, this is how much money these teams earn in the top competitive gaming tournaments.

Dota 2
$56,669,019.03
1458 Players
568 Tournaments

League of Legends
$26,752,796.26
3860 Players
1664 Tournaments

StarCraft II
$18,344,015.70
1515 Players
3445 Tournaments

Counter-Strike
$10,764,492.98
2582 Players
571 Tournaments

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
$10,758,920.57
4116 Players
1339 Tournaments

The schadenfreude was going to be on the people who still play 1.6, but somehow they have bigger prize pools than GO with almost half the teams.

Time to get good at 1.6 I guess.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Slugnoid posted:

The best dashcam video ever, this truck driver falls asleep at the wheel and goes on an adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5XM6r7GiUI

I love the title of the video, which is basically "a dashcam filmed an anomalous situation.mp4"

You don't loving say.

So was this a private citizen flying low or a military chopper as someone else said? I liked the payoff at the end after wondering why the truck in front seemed so nervous.

Edit: corrected the tense to past

Samfucius has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Mar 14, 2016

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Probably the same people who pitched a fit at Ken Block when he released his last few videos and people saw tyre tracks already on the ground where he was driving - almost as though he's a professional and practised the hell out of all his stunts before committing them to film.

The last video? There's been tracks in every video.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Yeah, this was one of those videos where I hated everyone.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Nitrox posted:

Yes, of course. When subduing violent people, a bare minimum force should be used, to minimize damage to the offenders. Nothing could possibly go wrong. Nothing

If I am reading this right, this is impressively disgustingly American. gently caress this mindset.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It turns out there's a whole bunch of youtube videos about the salt challenge (eat a tablespoon of salt) or the salt and ice challenge (which can cause second degree chemical burns) because people are idiots.

Would the salt challenge actually hurt you? It might dry you out but it just sounds unpleasant.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I care (keep going I'm almost there)

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Cross post from the IoSM thread:

Someone tried to scam me by setting up a profile as someone I already knew (hence why the fb chat messages are edited, they used this person's real name and photo). I caught on pretty much instantly, and I strung them on for quite a while. They even had a second person in on it via text. I'm gonna post the first image here, and then the album link:

Rest of album:
http://imgur.com/a/m92la

I tried to edit out all the personal info, let me know if I miss something. There's no such person as Lauren, btw. I don't care about my google plus image, it's super old and I never use Google plus any more. I left the scammer's number in on purpose. Oh, and facebook deleted their messages shortly after I outed them, so I had to write them back in.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

That's great. I was always partial to this one:
https://youtu.be/00PdHIPjaWQ
Probably because I loved the Metro commercial.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Oregon lady posts some crazy racist poo poo, is forced to cancel her upcoming festival, claims hackers "photoshopped" racism onto her page.

Her Facebook history reveals someone who hates BLM.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/34602645-75/story.csp

Edit: my other favorite part, claims Facebook will "investigate."

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Update: absolutely read the comments, at least until one of her colleagues from the festival shows up to defend her.

oh dope posted:

I like how being a Trump supporter is provided as proof of racism.

Lol yeah, after like three other pieces of evidence.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

FlyinPingu posted:

quote:

Your comment that Republicans are racist is racist itself. Grow up.

The best part is that the dude didn't even say Republicans are racist. He said his entire family is Republican, and they are all racist. He made no attempt to broaden that statement, it was just an anecdote about his crazy racist family.

Then the other dude started projecting and getting super defensive, and the comments got that much better.

edit: of course the other best part is that Republicans are a race now.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Somehow, the kids lighting themselves on fire seem sane in comparison to people dumping a bucket of boiling water on their head.

Having been burned by both, yeah, I'll take an equivalent amount of fire every time.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Why is everyone in the comments white-knighting a loving dog.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is there a bigger rivalry in college football? Maybe the Civil War game in Oregon?

The Civil War game is older, but it's unironically pretty civil.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Jew it to it! posted:

That's not how you Fosbury Flop at all.

Fun Fosbury story that is vaguely related to the thread: my mom went to the same elementary school that he had attended, right as he premiered that move and went to the Olympics. The school was very proud of that connection and asked him to come give a small talk to all the kids, including my mother, who was eight or nine at the time. Apparently all the kids were insanely excited to see him, and basically the instant he showed up they all started screaming and rushed him. I guess instinct took over, on both sides. Cue this poor 20-year-old kid sprinting away from a group of screeching fourth graders, never to return.

The whole family still teases my mom for being a part of that.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Rondette posted:

I came off my bike once and face planted into a wall. I can tell you even though it was 9 years ago I still vividly remember the time from flipping over the handlebars to the point of impact stretching out for all eternity along with the anticipation of THIS IS GOING TO HURT SO loving MUCH. That clip totally brought it back.

loving :same: except I was drunk (thanks, cousin Dylan) and missed the walkway up to my front door and ran into the hedge at about 20mph. I distinctly remember flying through the air, watching the concrete walkway approach my face. You never forget that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

canyoneer posted:

It's a true story. Buck Compton, UCLA catcher and football player, bounced a grenade off a guy's helmet while the other dude was sprinting away the day after D-Day.

Only if you hold down the G key for a bit beforehand

No schadenfreude, but I got to meet Buck before he died (he gave a talk at my high school near where he lived). Super nice dude, made a lot of jokes about the actor playing him making him look too handsome and too cool.