Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Choco1980 posted:

Frankly, I'm a big fat nerd who is most of the time either in front of the pc or the tv. I even like a lot of sports like Baseball or Basketball. Just Football I never got the appeal of. It's the most boring sport out there (even friggin Golf is more interesting to watch) and I've not seen a single more inconsequential thing (let alone a game) that made people more unreasonably upset than football does (Reasonable_Football_fan.avi). I suppose the Schadenfreude is on me for getting so fed up with it that I resorted to those stupid overplayed troll-words.

In semi-related 'freude, it's hilarious to me just how much hateful bile-churning vitriol State fans have for U of M year round where like it almost seems like they enjoy hating U of M more than loving State. This is funny because besides the days they actually play each other, the average U of M fan's opinion of State is either indifference or "Well at least they're still Michigan" if they're winning. Who U of M hates truly is Ohio State University. Nothing pisses off a State fan more than when you point this out to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9xeU-21WQM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

A White Guy posted:

The actual reality of game design is that the standard "you are a camera on a model walking around a level" causes motion sickness in VR. Most games that tuned toward VR have the player character sitting in a car/fighter cockpit, so as to avoid motion sickness.

Consequently, you're literally spending 600 bucks for gaming system that will only enjoyably play racing games.

From what I've observed it's not so much moving that's a problem in VR, but turning, specifically turning acceleration/deceleration, something that's mitigated a lot when you're a third person camera watching your avatar rather than first person and inside the avatar's head. It seems counter intuitive, but I think we're gonna see a lot of different genres you wouldn't expect in VR just using a third person view. It's not a platform that you're gonna wanna play on for 4 hours straight and motion sickness isn't a total non-issue, but it can be managed. People get motion sick with non-VR FPSs as well and that was a bigger problem when Wolfenstein 3D first came out before developers figured out how to deal with it and gamers got used to that perspective. This is no different.

But yeah, gently caress that price tag.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

chitoryu12 posted:

Pit bulls have an undeserved reputation for being mean, aggressive dogs that you can use as a tough guard dog that rips up burglars. So assholes who want an aggressive guard dog buy them and abuse them (usually because they're assholes who don't know how to take care of an animal) until they become mean, aggressive dogs that rip up anyone they see. It's a vicious cycle that ends up getting a completely normal breed vilified and abused. Same with dogs like Rottweilers and Dobermans.

I mean, I hear you about how pit bulls that're treated well are just as totally docile as any other dog and that means a lot of people want to clear their name and get pit bulls thinking, "Why, I'm not one of THOSE people," but they are also a breed that if something DOES go wrong, they can cause some serious damage. It's kinda like saying, "Hey, rocket launchers are a totally normal firearm, whatever, they're only incredibly dangerous if you're a MORON and misuse them." Nobody's ever been mauled by a dachshund, and not simply because they don't have a reputation for mauling.

What I'm trying to say is I get Schadenfreude from people that get pit bulls.

EDIT: I decided to actually google my claim, and unfortunately: http://articles.latimes.com/2002/dec/17/nation/na-maul17
However, I think my point still stands.

jmistajay has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Jan 12, 2016

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Not Operator posted:

Don't trust anyone who calls himself The Saint, or asks to meet your wife at a job interview.

Someone sent me that powerpoint a few weeks ago and I read it ignorant of the wider crunch-time context. Its loving dire.

Thanks for the summary.

edit: edited to quote. I didn't realise I was starting a new page, and this poo poo deserves to be read.

That guy's a shithead for sure, and really stuck in his old-guard programmer ways. Crunch sucks but it's a thing that happens and game developers are largely willing to put up with it, but claiming that it's not a thing you can take steps to minimize, or worse, building it directly into your schedule, are the tactics of the douchiest of douchebags. It's just another way that publishers and middle-management can make a ton of money off of the backs of passionate people.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

FCKGW posted:

why is this so difficult for you people to understand.

if he was on a vert ramp, he'd have pads. but hes pushing around in circles in a skatepark

Regardless of how short a distance you're driving/how slowly you're biking/how safe your skateboard surroundings, it's never a BAD idea to put on your seatbelt/wear a helmet/use appropriate pads. I'd say this goes double for when you're about to get on a skateboard made of glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Stoatbringer posted:

I think the problem with it may be that the fans who already know all the characters will get bored sitting through all the backstory/setup, and those who don't know the characters will probably also get fed up with it. At least with the Marvel films they introduced characters individually before bringing a bunch of them together in Assemble.
I think the X-Men films suffer from that a little as well. There are so many X-Men if you have more than a handful together you'll spend half the film on character introduction instead of action.
I still want to see it, but it might turn out to have been to have a movie introducing half the characters first, then add the rest for Suicide Squad 2 : The Suicidening.

The RE-Suicidening