Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Raygereio posted:

Here's the full clip.
That bite didn't come out of nowhere. Sure, it does looks like Holly had some food guarding issues. But Milan deliberately pushed her to get a reaction. Either through utter incompetence or to get that sweet 'before Milan's super training'-footage. Heck, Milan straight up punched the poor thing at 0:17.

Personally I like to think that Holly finally had enough of Milan's "kssht" nonsense.

drat, the editors putting in that music track just before he punches the dog, making it seem like the dog started it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That "accidentally deleted the server with rm rf / " thing was a hoax, as expected.

http://www.trymodern.com/article/596/this-guy-did-not-delete-his-entire-company-in-one-click

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Australian politician wants to show that fracking causes dangerous methane build-ups in nearby river, tries to light it on fire, is shocked by the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvJAKVnK4qM

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, I heard of folks losing a small deer in a car.

They were driving at night on a forest road at full speed, suddenly a deer in the headlights, huge bang when they hit... and then the driver stopped and went to look outside to see if the deer was still alive and stuff. No sign of the deer anywhere. So they continued and drove home.

Once they were home they found an entire deer worth of ground meat under the hood, behind the grille.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh come on you can't mention that, especially not in this thread, without noting that the translation from ancient Arabic is unclear, and it could've meant "72 raisins" as well. It even makes sense they had that as a heavenly gift, because raisins were an extremely rare treat back then.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

E: wait, why can't Brits just call the onion the onion?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Aramoro posted:

We do call The Onion The Onion though?

I linked to something on the daily mash which is apparently like the onion.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

America. Unchanged since 1876.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There's a link to their twitter at the bottom of the article, doesn't seem like they learned their lesson yet.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The true schadenfreude is this thread now turning into 10 pages of D&D american politics discussion.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think this is Schadenfreude, of a kind.

Aussie author wrote a post to complain about hipsters. She went into some cafe in Melbourne, which turned out to be a hipster place. Ordered a coffee, and got served.... this:

Yes. Before anyone asks, that's a "construct your own coffee" set.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Remember kids, don't beat your wife when you're drunk.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Follow‐up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Jv4t3MoBk

He doesn’t get made enough this time.

“Reddit is so loving bad you don’t even have profile pictures on your anonymous profiles.”

By this standard, SA is so loving good.

A preoccupied vegan named Hugh
Picked up the wrong pizza to chew.
He took a big bite
before spitting, in fright,
"OMG, WTF, BBQ!"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Freudian slippers posted:

The thing I really don't get with sovcits is: They believe they've uncovered a giant conspiracy and blah, blah, but know the loopholes of the gold fringed flag and what not. These loopholes do demonstratively not work. You can rant about the fringes as much as you want, your rear end is still going to jail. I can understand that someone could get fooled into believing this poo poo, but why do they keep trying, when the magic fails again and again?

To add to what the others said, it's a pyramid game/lost cost fallacy thing. SovCits have a sort of "gurus", people who claim they understand the law and what spells to use to beat it. They regularly ask hundreds of dollars for training sessions, where they basically teach you what to say. If you lose in court, they'll say you got it wrong or they found new stuff after doing new research, and you have to pay again for a new training. This way, they keep getting sucked in more and more deeply.

The canadian judge's report that's been linked in this thread a few times talked about the gurus in detail.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Seriously, gently caress that poo poo. It should be completely banned from sale, along with bitter almonds, a special subspecies of almonds. Both contain a serious concentration of the cyanide compound amygdalin.

It's been sold by rear end in a top hat quacks since the 19th century, under the name 'laetrile' or 'vitamin b17'. Vitamin b17 is not an official name, because vitamins are nutrients you require to survive, while amygdalin is purely toxic and has no positive qualities whatsoever.
This bag is also made by quacks because it has the 'vitamin b17' name on it. At least they took the effort to warn you about the dangers, usually they don't even bother.

This crap is being sold as a supposed cancer medicine, they say that if you take this the cyanide kills the cancer cells or something, so you don't need actual treatment anymore (which is technically true, dead people need no treatment). When my mom was suffering from cancer some shitstain convinced my parents that this crap works against cancer and they both started taking a spoonful a day (my dad for 'preventive' reasons). It took me a crazy amount of work to convince them that stuff is dangerous and to stop taking it, and even now it seems my dad isn't completely convinced it isn't good for you.

I don't really care that much if quacks sell expensive magic water as a panacea. It's annoying but they don't really hurt people with it. However, amygdalin is actively harmful and I consider people selling this crap murderers, and seriously think the law should treat them as such.

Yes. Yes, I have strong feelings about this. I think they are justified in this case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdalin

quote:

The promotion of laetrile to treat cancer has been described in the medical literature as a canonical example of quackery,[2][3] and as "the slickest, most sophisticated, and certainly the most remunerative cancer quack promotion in medical history."[1]

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Jun 26, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Someone send this to LA Beast

Please don't give goons any stupid ideas, for they do not know what they are doing. Especially if said ideas might kill people.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I like that Boris Johnson, one of the leaders of the Leave campaign, is scared out of his wits now and has no clue what to do. He was planning to lose, so he could blame the Remain camp for all the lovely things happening to the UK in the coming decades.

I have no clue what'll happen next. They can't ignore this referendum, but they also are required to debate the petition for a 2nd referendum, which got almost 4 million signatures by now. And the fact that Scotland and possibly Northern Ireland will leave if they go on with this.

I wouldn't say brexit is definite, yet.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Was there any popular approval process for joining in the first place? I guess I don't actually know, but my presumption was that the decision to join/set the thing up originally was made at higher levels.

That, and the impracticality of holding referenda on every little thing the government has to decide.

The UK originally joined the European Economic Community in 1973. This organisation was mostly intended for economic cooperation among member countries. Wikipedia tells me that the UK didn't want to join earlier, but the Suez Crisis made them change their position. There was no referendum (Norway held one at that time and as you know, Norway has never become a member of the EU).

Around the late 80s - 90s, countries started using the EEC for making treaties about much more than just economics. In 1993 the European Union was created when all 12 EEC member states signed the Treaty of Maastricht. There were no referenda for that either.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Surprisingly, no. The monarch of the United Kingdom actually maintains quite little power; though she gives power through her position, she has very little ability to directly make proclamations on how the country is run. The UK has maintained its monarchy specifically because of this: there's no reason to overthrow your king and decapitate him when he's not actually doing anything.

She can certainly give guidance and yell at people about issues, but actually trying to take the reins and steer the country herself would be a gigantic upset for the English balance of power. Chances are if she disapproves of Brexit, she's absolutely talking Cameron's ear off about it.

I believe the UK monarchy is different from the other European constitutional monarchies in that the UK monarchy has theoretical power. It's just that trying to use it would lead to a lot of trouble. In the other monarchies, such as in the Netherlands, it literally says in the constitution that the monarch does not have any power, and has no more than an advisory role to the government. So the Dutch king doesn't even have theoretical power.

Clitch posted:

Isn't the Royal Family still a thing mostly because they're a huge tourist attraction?
This is partially true. Another reason is because it's good to have an apolitical figure who can give speeches. Back to the Dutch situation, with which I'm more familiar: the law says the king does not have a public political opinion, and if he accidentally expresses one, the law should act as if it was said by the prime minister. But the king has been trained all his life to be more neutral than Switzerland.

The advantage of this is that in times of disaster, the king can give a nice speech about how we should help each other and that he's there for us and all that. Obama has that role in the US, but in his case, whenever he gives a general speech of support for the country, half of the population scoffs at his 'lies' and wish for someone with a dead hamster on his head to become president.

The amount of monarchy-haters in the Netherlands is only 5 or 10%, so the king can reach way more people with his politically neutral speeches.

On top of that, a monarch is much more iconic than a figurehead president like Germany has, and doesn't cost all that much more (presidents tend to spend a lot of money, too).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

actually probably not, it's pronounced Schoolkill

edit: actually I was just assuming that's not the Dutch way because every other name with an -uy in it in the former New Netherland colony (Schuylerville, Stuyvesant, etc) has the -uy as rhyming with "fly" BUT since I don't speak Dutch, for all I know "Schoolkill" is right and every single other place is wrong :shrug:

Dutch person present. The original Dutch "ui" sound (ui is modern spelling, uy is a leftover from the spelling a few centuries ago) is a sound that does not at all exist in the English language, nor in most other languages. Some people would say it's the vowel of "out". This is not true. Some would say it rhymes with "fly". This is not true. Some would say it's similar to French "eu" or "oeu". This is not true. All of these examples get somewhat close, but none of them are really correct.

Here's a short blog by someone who claims it took them 6 months, several teachers, and a lot of determination in order to finally learn how to pronounce it:
http://blogs.transparent.com/dutch/the-ui-conundrum/

And it has some links to spoken examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KX_bQ05Ju8

Apparently it's so unusual that for non-Dutch it's even hard to hear the distinction between the ui and similar but different vowels. So if you think it sounds like 'ou' or 'y' or whatever, you are probably wrong.

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Jul 8, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

so basically "Stuyvesant's pronounced wrong too, just wrong in a different way than Schuylkill" (where by "wrong" I mean "pronouncing it differently than the original Dutch" -- obviously all the pronunciations are, in fact, correct since they're how people say the things)?

Thanks for the links!

(what I was trying to express in my original post was that the person I was replying to wasn't going to be at any advantage in pronouncing the American placename just because they're Dutch -- the American placenames aren't pronounced like the Dutch ones)
This is why I argue that "Hans Brinker", as in the name of the book that has the story about the Dutch kid who stopped a dike leak by putting his finger in the hole, should always pronounced in English, preferably with an American accent. Even when speaking in Dutch.

The story was written by an American author who's never even been to Holland, everything she wrote is from 2nd hand information. Trying to pronounce the name with a Dutch accent just propagates the falsehood believed by many, that this is some kind of traditional Dutch story. As far as I'm concerned that's a historical lie, and it annoys me.

It's gone so far that some people have put statues of the kid at the dike in tourist spots in the Netherlands in order to please the American tourists. And I've even met Dutch people who never looked it up, and believed the Americans who claimed it was a traditional Dutch tale.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Celery Face posted:

Anyone got that audio of some guy playing an accordion and (sort of) singing in Dutch while drawing out every word and trying to sound as ridiculous as possible?

I don't know, but that reminds me of the bit where some Norwegian guy who doesn't know any Dutch takes an audio clip from an ancient bit of Dutch stand-up comedy, and does silly things while attempting to lip-sync it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44yO9QzUzF8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwZNuwAK-dc

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 10:51 on Jul 9, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I can already hear the indignant teeth grinding of assholes chomping at the bit to defend their 'cultural' animal torture.

I've already had someone claim that the bulls are treated with the "utmost respect" and are generally have better lives than cows grown for beef.

That's probably ignoring the fact that the bulls are bred for aggressiveness and pumped full of testosterone all their lives in order to anger them up properly.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/8tJKO3U.gifv

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

McDonalds in Amsterdam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53qheB8p_mk

Those American tourists now probably believe this is a daily occurrence in this city.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Is it not? What are the ladies mad about anyway, did they not get their McNuggets or something?

I have no clue. At the start they're saying stuff like "where is she? come back!" and then "open that door! open that door! they locked it." when one of them walks to that grey door to the right.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phanatic posted:

MMA fighter kidnapped in Rio, forced to withdraw money from his ATM:

Bonus: Kidnappers were cops.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11680761

The Olympic Village construction is coming along, too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36879349

Olympics prediction: BEST EVER.

I heard the Dutch team are solving this problem by bringing their own plumber. Just imagine... being a random plumber in a western country, asked to fly to Brazil to fix poo poo for your country's olympic team.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sovcit tells court in notice that he's an "idiot sovereign citizen". His behaviour seems to be becoming more and more erratic, the more time he spends in jail.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ryan-bundy-declares-self-idiot-sovereign-citizen

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

For less neck-breaking schadenfreude, the American biker was in the lead for a solid 30 minutes. She was literally seconds away from the finish line, but she kept looking behind her....until finally all 3 other bikers left in the race zoomed ahead of her.

There were only 4 bikes left in the whole race due to crashes, so every single person who finished the race except for one would get a medal. She went from everything to nothing.

"In the whole race"? So why did they show a top 9 at the end? (I only watched the last bit)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Why the hell is there online blackjack that has a livestream of human dealers sitting in a room somewhere?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Can we get the followup video, where the cops trace her license plate, arrest her for damaging the boot and repossess her car? tia

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is the reporter that appears on cam near the end Neil deGrasse Tyson?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

With the bases loaded and his team trailing by three runs in the second inning, Brandon Thomas deposited a pitch far over the tall left-field fence at GCS Ballpark in Sauget.

The grand slam put the Gateway Grizzlies ahead of Frontier League foe Joliet Slammers and sparked a 17-6 win. But it was a moment Thomas could enjoy only until he had to place that call to his insurance adjuster.

His towering blast sailed into the players’ parking lot, landed on his own 2008 Toyota Tundra and shattered the windshield.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Slugnoid posted:

In the full video he tries to fish her out of the river with his mayoral chain and the sound guy half heartedly tries to pull her out with his boom mic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8XP7opCOrU

She actually continues the interview once she's back on board. Now that's professionalism.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh man I just remembered a thing.

So, back when I was in high school, they had us do some kind of big research project in the final year. It was meant to give us a better understanding of how the scientific method works, and it had to be about subjects relating to at least two classes you took. For instance, lots of kids did some kind of neat physics experiment and wrote a report about the physics and maths and that covered the two classes.

Me and my project buddies decided to try something different: we'd research if and how it's possible to make a neat science demo class for primary schoolers. So we thought up some chem and physics experiments that could be done safely by 11-yo's, and arranged to try it out in a primary school.

The experiment I came up with was about simple acid-base chemistry. I used classic red cabbage juice as an indicator (the stuff turns bright red in the presence of acid, blue in the presence of base), so I asked my mom to cook a cabbage and collect the juice in a bottle for me. I also grabbed some household goods as safe acids and bases: vinegar, lemon, baking soda, detergent.

Everything went well, the kids were playing around a bit with the stuff I brought, they did the little tests I had put on a sheet for them and answered their questions, until we got to the last question. "What happens when you first add an acid to the indicator, and then add a base?"
The intended answer was of course that the colour changes to red and then back to purple/blue.

But, the kids decided to grab vinegar and baking soda. In case you don't know, the reaction of those two produces a lot of gas, a lot of bubbling. Good mix for launching a bottle rocket.

Anyway, they were working with open beakers so there weren't any explosions, but the bubbling caused the mixture to flow everywhere, over this kid's school desk we were doing the experiment on.

We cleaned it up the best we could - but guess what, the smell of several-day-old cabbage juice cannot be removed by scrubbing. I felt kinda sorry for that kid because she had to spend the rest of her school year at a desk that smelled like old cabbages.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

It literally means "put on" ("å legge på" = "to put on") and is in essence anything you put on a buttered slice of bread. Pigsfeet aren't very suited, but we have sylte! Here are some brødskiver:

I guess the schadenfreude is that we eat this for breakfast, lunch and any other non-dinner meal :norway:

It's called "beleg" in Dutch, also means 'put on' and works in exactly the same way. Common for breakfast and lunch too.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A bunch more: http://imgur.com/a/DGr0b

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

Could someone also explain why does something like FYAD exist? Maybe by PM if it's too off-topic.

Every large enough place needs a place to safely keep those who are too dangerous for society. All the better if they stay there voluntarily.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

uploader posted:

this video is months old. but is now being posted on tons of blogs and with added filters showing how red i became. this is the ORIGINAL video and shows the true pain i dealt with and am still dealing with being perscribed heavy pain medications since this day. that is why i didnt nominate anyone. do not try this at home.

------

cyberia posted:

While I'm glad he didn't, I'm also morbidly curious as to what a bottle of lemon juice would do to your digestive system.

Not much, your stomach is used to a bit of acidity. Might get a bit of heartburn if you're not used to it.
Reminds me of miracle berries though. That's some kind of berry (concentrate is available in tablet form) that does something weird with your tastebuds making everything that's sour taste sweet for the next hour or so. I ate a lemon like it was an orange while in that state, and enjoyed it. I could feel the acid's prickly feeling in my mouth and I felt like my teeth were rotting away instantly but other than that it was nice and sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When are you guys finally gonna learn from Europe and adopt a multi-party system?