Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Acrobats schadenfruede: My school spends an inordinate amount of money trying to attract performers. Consequently, we managed to get an actual Chinese acrobat company to come to the States to do a show. I'm not going to lie, they pulled off some pretty amazing stunts, but at the same time, I've never seen so many little Asian people eat so much poo poo :stonkhat:. I guess the tradition is that if you gently caress up the stage performance (which invariably happens), to just do it again. They had one dude absolutely gently caress himself up on a very high hoop they were trying to backflip through, they dragged him off stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Staryberry posted:

A nearby high school thought it would be hilarious to put goats on the roof of the high school. They wanted the goats to be safe, so they put leashes on them and tied them to the roof. Unfortunately, the goats were too close to the edge of the building, and by the time kids started showing up to school, there were dead goats hanging from the eaves. :(

It's wacky enough that I don't think it happened. Then again, in my high school, a group of seniors were so successful at simultaneously detonating stink bombs that half the school's classrooms were unusable for about two days.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Stoatbringer posted:

When I was in chemistry class in school we were melting wax in crucibles over bunsen burners. One kid's crucible caught fire, so he threw water on it.

Made quite an impressive fireball.

Some Crucibles cannot be washed because the water will gently caress the ceramic (forget the exact reason why) and make it crack when you get it hot enough. We had a lab wherein we heated elemental Magnesium up for a long time (basically making a ton of MgO for no good reason) and one of the student's crucible shattered, leaking molten magnesium all over the desk. Thankfully we were using less than like .25 grams so they were able to dodge out of the way of it, but the bunsen burner's plastic sheathing melted to the desk.

Best part of that lab was lighting off hydrogen gas inside of a graduated cylinder. Makes a hell of a pop.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

:allears: Post-celebration 'fruede is funny too. When I was in high school, I would also hold my breath during lifts. End result was blood in my stool from burst capillaries in my intestine. Don't hold your breath!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Crosspost from our sister OSHA thread in GBS.

http://i.imgur.com/b4eF3fl.webm

Serious question: The gas tank of your car is on fire. What do you do? I mean, will the car still run after all the gasoline burns off or should I run for my life?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

The actual reality of game design is that the standard "you are a camera on a model walking around a level" causes motion sickness in VR. Most games that tuned toward VR have the player character sitting in a car/fighter cockpit, so as to avoid motion sickness.

Consequently, you're literally spending 600 bucks for gaming system that will only enjoyably play racing games.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Arrath posted:

Flight sims my brotha :pcgaming:

Now you can wiggle all the buttons in the cockpit of a A-10 for the low,low price of 600 dollars!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Lucid Nonsense posted:

It is nice to hear that some Russians, when involved with a violent accident, still show some emotion other than complete indifference. Maybe their poverty stricken lifestyles and vodka soaked brains haven't severed them from humanity yet.

It's the culture more than anything. In most places in the world, smiling is part of a pleasant conversation. In Russia, smiling unbidden is seen as a sign that you're an idiot. I can't really describe just how fundamentally different Russians are to Americans. Russians are kind of like anti-Americans. Pretty much every value that Americans hold dear, well, Russians hold the opposite view. Americans like democracy? Russians like authoritarian governments. Americans believe in self-determination. Russia believes in self-determination...of other Russians. Americans strongly believe in the individual identity. Most Russians have the opposite view.

Plus, most people alive in Russia right now lived through the breakup of the Soviet Union, and the '90s in Russia were baaaaaad.

A Festivus Miracle has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Jan 7, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I can take pleasure in someone else doing something retarded and getting hurt for it. Watching some poor women destroy her ACL on the leg machine, not so much.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

To follow your formula, the woman using the leg machine is doing a retarded stupid thing by taking on too much weight. She is, techincally, someone else.

What I'm saying is, I don't get what you are saying.

That the hurt should be proportional to the level of stupidity, I guess. Someone crossing the street, not looking, and then getting pasted is about as schadenfruedy as that video.

RubberLuffy posted:

Governor of Maine has some incredibly racist and hilariously outdated things to say

Includes favorites such as "These guys named D-Money, Smoothie and Shifty" are coming into Maine to "sell heroin" and knock up "young, white girls."

Here's hoping for some effective backlash against this idiot.

Republican. Colored me shocked. The whole point of dogwhistle racism is that you're not supposed to come out and just say that you hate black people!.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

So for the woman getting her knees bent backwards, did the guy adjust the weight on her or something?

No, the way you use the machine is to avoid locking your legs out. Normally, your quadriceps take most of the weight, and being the massive meaty muscles they are, don't have issues. Once you lock your legs out, your quadriceps are no longer involved in holding up the weight, leaving the majority of weight on your ACL. In her case, this resulted in her leg folding in one itself like a piece of paper (:gonk:).

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I think eating hotdogs is different then eating like... Raw Pig rear end

e: That's a bad example but you know what I mean.

In his defense, he didn't vomit at all, even while eating the pig uterus. That video was fukken gross, but I was still impressed at how much control LA Beast has got over his gag reflex.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

A good friend of mine comes from a white-trash family almost exactly like the people in the video. Every time she goes home and comes back, every story she has usually involves her fighting with her mom or her sisters.

Like, goddamn people, you'd think after ten years of arguing with zero result, they'd learn how to communicate, but no. It's just one vicious cycle of teen pregnancy, huge trucks, handguns, and no secondary education.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Texas gun owners find that the new open carry laws restrict them from more and more businesses:

http://www.thetrace.org/2016/01/open-carry-texas-chl-forum/

People who open carry their guns are tools. It's basically the equivalent of wearing a tapout t-shirt with the sleeves cut off, except the people that open carry are 40 year old men who should know better by now.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Testekill posted:

Staffordshire Bull Terriers (Staffies) get a horrible reputation also which is completely undeserved. They were originally bred as bull fighters and were used for dog fights but every Staffy that I have ever met has been the happiest little idiot. From what I have heard, the big thing is that poor owners train them to be aggressive and Staffies just want to make people happy by obeying them. Of course they're also often stolen because they're just too friendly and easily adapt to changing house.

Yeah, definitely this. Staffordshire Terriers are too nice to be guard dogs. They just don't have the temperament, even if the owner treats them like poo poo. My parents have owned Staffy's most of my life and every one of them has been a 60 pound sweetheart.

Cythereal posted:

I think the conclusion is that a shittily raised example of a less-aggressive breed will still be a bigger shithead of a dog and more dangerous than a well raised example of a highly aggressive breed.

For my piece, the most aggressive and lovely dogs I've ever encountered have all been chihuahuas and mixes thereof.

I think part of the reason that toy dogs end up being the most aggressive is a combination of a lack of training and admonishment. Instead of seeing a barking Chihuahua and smacking it on the nose, everyone just kind of hovers over it and giggles at its impotent rage.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Crossfit is a great way to gently caress up your back. :madmax:

Carnival of Shrews posted:

Lots of films and TV dramas need a newborn or even premature baby, which used to lead to scenes in which a new mother tenderly cradled a substantial infant at least three or four months old, bundled up look as tiny as possible. As soon as animatronics got good enough, people tried creating mechanical babies (here's the same one with skin on it; not too bad if it only has do a few seconds' worth of close-up, and make a few small movements):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_wF5SGFFMQ

Everything was going well until the Twilight series demanded a newborn baby that somehow looked unnaturally wise and mature for her age, and the frazzled SFX team created 'Chuckesme':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jOuy-HOcg8

The raw footage was so disturbing that the very, very expensive high-tech puppet was digitally replaced with something less...eldritch.

This may be the wrong thread for, but fukken proclick right here. That thing is legitimately terrifying.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I love how this is happening to a statue of Lenin. :allears:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

http://www.sunherald.com/news/local/crime/article56305535.html

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is, wait, hold up, which was the bad guy again?

Shootout at gun shop leaves 2 dead, 2 wounded, over 25$ fee.

:allears: Somebody, in this dispute at some point consciously made the decision to threaten someone with a gun over twenty-five dollars. I suppose if you're gonna find your own hill to die on, the counter of some dinky gunshop in Picayune, Mississippi is as good as any.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Plucky Brit posted:

On the subject of Congressional hearing schadenfreude, here's George Galloway MP (and professional gobshite) tearing Norm Coleman to pieces.

http://youtu.be/j5u1skEoqLs

Goddamn. I don't know anything about George Galloway, but Norm Coleman had no idea who he was loving with. I don't think Galloway even blinked the entire time he was bulldogging Coleman with that stare.

Also, Jeb Bush is a piece of poo poo. The only real sad part is that he's the most polished turd amongst a pile of turds.

A Festivus Miracle has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Feb 5, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I've never heard anyone say "Please be quite in my court room" with more sting. That woman is pissed.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Girl almost gets struck by lightning and the guy she is with immediately develops a speech impediment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEdAIonUBBM

Goddamn that is a 'strayan accent right there.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

That's 295 lbs dropped from about 2-3 ft right onto this dude's ribcage. No way that doesn't gently caress you up.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Come to think of it, Obama is roughly as qualified for the SCOTUS as Elana Kagan is/was. The precedent for appointing former presidents to the bench is htere (Howard Taft, who famously loved being in the SCOUTS far more than being president), plus, you can't really argue that Obama doesn't understand the law - he literally spent 8 years implementing it.

Fingers crossed that the next 10 months mobilize the democratic party base. I registered to vote the day before Scalia died, and now it seems, It wasn't such a bad idea.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Looks like he found the clit.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Magres posted:

Yyessss I am so looking forward to this lawsuit and all of the sovcit crazy that will come out of it

Nothing is going to come out of it. The judge is going to throw it out, hopefully with a snide comment, but probably without.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

It's unlisted on youtube

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

TNL finally released a new video. Basically 30 mins of bad decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYQX6at7u-w

3:23 :stare:

One day, I want to tell my grandchildren I flipped an 80 ton tank.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

The Schadenfruede is coming from inside the thread! :frogsiren:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there just a switch you flip to make an elevator go backwards that someone bumped into?

Elevators are equipped with a pair of brakes that slow down the bottom ends of the rotating belt, so that the its not uniformly quick. If it was, getting onto an elevator would be an extreme sport. Anyhow, you can see there's about 40 people piling onto the elevator - shock and surprise, elevator brakes ain't made to hold that many people, so the breaks give up, and the rotating belt gets pulled downward by the weight of the people.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

When he pushed the curdled milk out of the bottle :barf:.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Since you didn't explain, it should be noted that she's an Iraq war veteran who lost her legs in combat.

Samovar posted:

Taken from D&D, but somebody who is responsible for a Republican twitter feed thought it prudent to post THIS:

Needless to say, it didn;t stay up for long.

Everything about this is beautiful. :allears: Let's slander an opponent as being anti-vet, you know, the one who lost her legs in the Iraq war.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Bears.mp4 right here. They're large and a little slow, but they're not that stupid. Apparently, timber companies in the Pacific Northwest have been having an issue with bears who've learned how to strip second-growth trees for their sugary heartwood (which usually kills the tree). It's a learned behavior that a bear figured out sometime in the past 30 years and has since spread to virtually every bear that lives in or near timberlands.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Twitter, you brilliant beautiful beast :allears:.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

What a pretty way to destroy your head gasket.

Content: I was out digging soil pits with our crew for our capstone project. These soil pits are about 2.5 feet deep, and we dug them pretty wide. While going back to fill in our pits, I wandered upon this puddle, and decided, in my water proof boots, to jump in it.

Turns out our old pit had filled with groundwater. Nothing like freezing cold snowmelt to the balls at 8 am.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Acrobats.gif right here. If you watch a show early enough in a tour of an acrobat troop, you're gonna see a lot of little dudes eat poo poo.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

This is a twofer :allears:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Dillbag posted:

For those of you who felt the schad when mentally ill forums poster Caro was captured and reportedly held in a Syrian prison after performing untrained field surgeries and acting as a counter sniper, he's loving alive and I couldn't be more stunned right now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...e1a3_story.html

wow. just loving wow. I cannot believe that Caro is still alive. He was crazy before hand, I don't want to think about what 5 years in Syrian torture prison has done to his mind.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

That's a really good way to gently caress up your back. :boom:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Kill all parrots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I doubt the cops would give a poo poo about that sort of thing considering he has clear evidence of a motorist recklessly driving.