Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm going to read all the player characters dialog in a horrible marky mark from the departed accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
lol if you ordered a physical pc game product

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I stopped buying physical PC games period around 2008? And stopped having a DVD drive at all probably around 2009-2010. Next PC I build is going to just have a single SSD and everything else stored on SAN.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i like this game

i am taking wed/thurs/fri off to play it

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Red is radiation damage. It's different this game, radiation reduces your maximum available health. Take some RadAway.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
People that complain about the dog getting in the way inside buildings have clearly never owned a dog, or owned a dog over 60 pounds.

I'm starting to wonder if using the scrap command in workshop build mode is a better idea than building a mod that consumes an item. I've used a bunch of gold watches for springs and poo poo, yet I have no gold in my workshop.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you happen to wander in to the state house by chance...

BRING POWER ARMOR

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh, yeah and everyone should play the main storyline at least until the Brotherhood show up. It opened up so many more random encounters in the world, I greatly regret ignoring the main quest until today.

I am already planning my next character. I will be melee/power armor.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah I rerolled with a bit of a different stat allocation. VATS gunslinger.

I rolled...something. I did like, high CHA/INT, moderate STR/PER/END/AGI, low LCK. In retrospect I really should have paid more attention. I'm making it work by speccing into Commando and modding all my guns to be full auto, but I burn so many caps on ammo even with the perk.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Going for Revolver Ocelot on my next playthrough. :ocelot:

Also seriously where do you even buy ammo? I'm completely out of .308 and can't find any anywhere.

Diamond City market has two vendors, plus your weapons vendor at your settlements if you build them. Oh and the BoS vendor probably.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Go full retard. Low CHA and INT, max STR, and grab a super sledge and the Grognak outfit. Solve all your problems with violence.

High STR, high INT, high END. Pain Train and Nuclear Physicist, with points in non-automatic rifles but otherwise using melee weapons.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Having something with armor piercing is pro++

I got a legendary 10mm pistol that does 50% more to humans so it's my bandit slayer now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

Do your guns like level up with you or something? I have some that I've had forever that wreck poo poo with minimal upgrades and whenever I get a new one it does like 5 damage.

Mods mostly. Rank 2 or 3 for gun nut / science is huge for a lot of guns.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

How's it work for armor? Better to craft stuff as opposed to finding it out in the world?

Mix and match. I'm currently running with a BoS uniform (that I found) with Polymer Combat Armor (found base Combat Armor on a vendor, improved it). Eventually I'm going to be making it ultra lightweight or deep pocketed, whichever results in more overall carrying ability. I also found some Synth armor pieces, but until Armorer 4 my stuff is better.

I am seriously, seriously hurting for ammo with my full automatics build. I'm really starting to think that it was mostly intended to be mixed with Heavy Weapons. I spend almost all my caps on ammo, and I have rank 1 of the ammo finder perk.

Also, I have 17 fully charged Fusion Cores. I should probably stop trying to save my Power Armor run for my next character. But a ton of PA mods favor melee/unarmed ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So yeah, if you're playing on Survival and using automatics, get the ammo perk. Turns out it's not the garbage it was in FO3/NV.

Starting to use Power Armor a bit more, poo poo is intense sometimes. One more level and I get Science! 3 and go back to using energy weapons primarily. Can't wait.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
For a Bethesda game I am very surprised at how stable it is. I haven't had a single crash, and the number of 'gently caress, have to reload' bugs in ~50 hours of gameplay so far can be counted on one hand with fingers left over. There's a fair amount of minor, silly bugs but those aren't a big deal.

You can fix the gun disappearing bug by switching to another weapon and back again. That's one of those bugs I hope gets fixed pretty soon.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Redeye Flight posted:

Minor bugs:

-Shift - tabbing into Steam overlay breaks the tab button until you do it again

lmao @ using kb/m for this game

it was designed for consoles 100%, until a mod like SkyUI comes out for it

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
paint your poo poo you look like a goddamn hobo

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
SSDs are the single biggest improvement you can make to a PC, period.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm pretty much never doing an SLI setup because of how it breaks in often hilarious and frustrating ways. It's light years better now than even 5 years ago, at least.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Alright, I'm stuck on the word's most boring conference call so here's a bunch of poo poo:

SALVAGE/MODDING

You can get a near unlimited amount of adhesive by using a cooking station. You need corn, mutfruit, tatos and purified water. Buy a bunch from a vendor for cheap (or get them from Greygarden or similar), plant them, harvest them a few times and you'll be swimming in the stuff.

Items to pay particular attention to: Fans (Screws), anything with Aluminum (cans, containers), coffee cups (Ceramics). You need screws and aluminum for everything mods related, and you need aluminum and ceramic for fixing up your X-01 Power Armor. Alarm Clocks are pro tier because they have lots of everything.

Scrapper is very much worthwhile if you can get it. Modding poo poo gets very expensive, components wise.

Always disassemble your junk in workshop mode. Yes, that means going to an empty flat spot and dumping all your poo poo and manually disassembling them. Currently, if you use say, a watch (springs, gears, steel) to directly assemble something that needs just a spring, you will lose the other components. This is probably going to be fixed in a patch.

There's a minimum cost to repairing Power Armor. If you're OCD like me and hate seeing 99/100%, this will get very expensive. Generic T45 armor uses pure steel (easy) but stuff like X-01 uses steel, aluminum, ceramics and circuitry. I try not to repair things until it's under 50% because of this.

Generally speaking, Deep Pockets will grant you more overall carrying capacity, costs less, and is available earlier than the ultralight mod. The only reason to get the ultralight mods is that you want the AP bonus.

In most situations, an undersuit + armor components will provide better protection than a single suit of armor. Exceptions exist. The vault suit is very good when fully upgraded.

POWER ARMOR

There are very few fixed spawns for Power Armor. The frame will always be there, but the type of the armor and the amount of armor pieces will be determined by your level. Exceptions exist, of course, but beware guides that say "here's a full set of T60" that turn out to be a frame + T45 torso/left leg because you're level 9.

If you want to get someone out of a suit of Power Armor, you can shoot their fusion core out. Usually one or two direct hits in VATS will cause the core to overheat. The pilot will run around venting for about 5 seconds, then eject the core like a hot potato. It will then explode (bit more powerful than a grenade) and force the pilot out. You can then kill them way easier, and have a suit of mostly intact Power Armor. I like collecting suits.

Fusion Cores sell for the same amount regardless of charge. If you're OCD like me and hate starting an expedition at like 36% charge, you can just sell it for full cap value.

You can find more Fusion Cores if you take the Scavenger perk, since they count as Ammo. I think this will be fixed in a patch, but I've gotten 3-4 cores in an ammo can sometimes ever since I took Scavenger 3.

COMPANIONS

Melee Weapons that cause bleeding are fantastic for companions if your ~roleplaying experience~ isn't compromised by that.

You can upgrade your companions default armor at the workbench, and it can get very good.

Nick can hack terminals and Cait can lockpick. The level in which they can do this is dependent on your level - so no getting in to expert terminals/locks before you're supposed to, sorry. Neither of which can do Master level things, but those are rare and there's probably an alternate way to get in there anyway.

Companions can wear Power Armor and do not drain the core when they do so. I like to have Piper fetch the extra suits that I collect. You can get them to leave the suit by talking to them.

PERKS

Life Giver is pretty meh. The regen for rank 3 doesn't work in combat, and the bonus to health isn't very useful past like level 20.

There's no point in getting the final rank of Hacking, but the final rank for Lockpicking is great.

Always get the modding perks for whatever weapons/armor you use the moment they become available. Fresh mods are amazing.

The Lone Wanderer perk may or may not work with the Dog. I don't think anybody knows for certain if it's a bug. I would not invest points into it on the assumption that Bethesda will not just patch it, especially if you're not on PC and can't use the console.

COMBAT

Cripple. The. Legs. So many horrible things are less dangerous because they can't hobble over to get you.

The Missile Launcher is very meh unless you're heavy into explosives, at which point it's amazing.

Always try to have an "okay, time to die" weapon. I somehow found a plasma rifle super early and only had like 30 rounds for it for like 10 levels. It was for "no, gently caress YOU" situations. The Fat Man is very good for this but is very heavy, and also unusable indoors.

If there's a ghoul body on the ground and it doesn't have a loot prompt, please shoot it. It's probably still alive and waiting to ambush you.

There's several Hazmat suits in the game, they make you immune to radiation and radiation based weapons.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You can't get a power armor frame from a corpse, no. If you leave your power armor suit, take your core with you.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I am using a fully modded assault rifle right now. It's okay, but next level I get to upgrade my plasma rifle fully. I bought a legendary one with +25% ROF and +15% reload :unsmigghh:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Tinker Tom can upgrade things with ballistic fiber.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So I'm like 70 hours into my save, probably like 40% done with the game and I'm going to make a melee character. Why? Because gently caress you, that's why.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Gonna make a sniper next I think. I really want to roll around with Nick.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've only played the game on Survival and aside from the first 5 levels or so, it's really quite manageable. You don't really start feeling like a demigod until the mid/late 30s and even at 50 in my current playthrough lots of poo poo is still very deadly. I've just got to the glowing sea and busted out the power armor for the first time this character. I've had Curie running around with a sick rear end gatling laser since I don't need my cores.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I got a gauss rifle that does double damage to targets at full health. Combine with my 5.3x sneak multiplier and it's :catstare:

Unfortunately, I got it about 85% of the way through my playthrough.

I still don't get the hate for survival mode, but whatever. I never really found things to be very bullet spongy except in a few very rare instances (unfortunately, the deathclaw at the start is one of them) and the lack of quick healing is very nice imo.

I am playing with a 360 controller, too.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Melee VATS sneak attack stuff is hilariously broken once you get blitz 2 and ninja. You can run around ghosting entire rooms.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

was I supposed to build stuff? 'cause when the Sanctuary bitches needed beds I was like "here, there's some stained mattresses over in that blown out house"

The settlement stuff is completely optional. I find it really fun but completely unnecessary. Can't wait for mods for it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm doing a playthrough right now where I just kill the factions when I first encounter them, along with most other NPCs. Burn it all to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It kentucky fries all the synths, his power armor keeps him safe. Good if you're low on health/ammo, bad if you want the xp.

• Locked thread