Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Decided to make a new general thread since the original got archived. You can have your team rated here or post invites or whatever.

Anyway I'll get things started by having my lovely team critiqued:

I'm on a 12-team, 9-cat, H2H, Snake-draft league with my co-workers (we have a pot money) and it was a disaster. I missed the first two rounds since I decided to do it at home rather than wait it out in the office. The AI ended up taking players from my watch list which happened to have Porzingis on the top (yes, that would be 6th over-all) and then D-Will.

My final roster ended up like this:

quote:

C - Marc Gasol
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
SF - Nicolas Batum
SG - Dwyane Wade
PG - Deron Williams

PG/SG - George Hill
PG - Derrick Rose
PG/SG - Alec Burks
SF/SG - Khris Middleton
C - Timofey Mozgov
PF - Kristaps Porzingis
C/PF - Joffrey Lauvergne (waiver wire - dropped Dalembert for him)

Any suggestions on any weak CATs I have? Should I trade Dirk or Hill for a rebounder/shotblocker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If anyone wants to make like a $20 dollar league me and a friend are looking to sign up for one.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What's the best info to use for draft rankings? I think I've played fantasy basketball once, 8 or so years ago.

Is there any way to have custom rankings, done by scoring categories, or something along those lines?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 22, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RCarr posted:

What's the best info to use for draft rankings? I think I've played fantasy basketball once, 8 or so years ago.

Is there any way to have custom rankings, done by scoring categories, or something along those lines?

Here's some fantasy advice I can give without exposing my full hand to the multiple goons who I play against in extremely competitive fantasy league (:argh:):

One of the best resources is surprisingly simple and overlooked in our era of advanced stats--raw totals.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2015_leaders.html?lid=header_seasons
They sorta automatically correct for a lot of stuff people try to decipher and put into stats (injuries, playing time, etc).

Depending on the size of your league it may be useful to remember that good rookies are an inefficient gamble and forgetable players like Jordan Hill may still put up a consistent 14/8/stuff a night.

Try to bear in mind recency effects--people will entirely forget about a player who had an injured or off year (Pau Gasol might have been the steal of the year last year) and will vastly overpay for someone who may have shined in the playoffs due to injuries in front of them (consider this a reminder that Tristan Thompson is still technically a bench player behind Kevin Love and Mozgov and the annual ~30 games of Anderson Varejao)

Be aware of too-young prospects in the league who might have been terrible on low minutes last year, that's where breakouts come from and there are usually a handful every season: http://www.basketball-reference.com...at=&order_by=ws

as with real basketball, no matter what you do injuries during playoffs will determine the outcome of your season

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Last week I was workin on an OP for a fantasy b-ball thread when this went up I'll just plop it here maybe the thread can be kickstarted with something to argue about :

An Abridged Guide to the 2015-16 NBA Fantasy Season by spacejung:

Atlanta

Paul Millsap PF/C
2014 Regular Season: STL 97 REB 84
2014 Playoffs: STL 95 FT% 87
Current Yahoo ADP: 18

Al Horford PF/C
2014 Regular Season: FG% 97 BLK 88
2014 Playoffs: FG% 92
Current Yahoo ADP: 14

The Atlanta frontcourt is a rich source of all the big guy stats; Millsap and Horford will both be huge minutes sponges and happen to produce statlines which are extremely complementary to one another. If you expect to get both though, you'll probably need to have a very late 1st round pick. That is pretty unlikely to happen for a variety of reasons but each player stands on his own as a good small or big-ball PF/C.

Boston
nope

Brooklyn
nyet

Charlotte
caveat emptor

Chicago

Jimmy Butler SG/SF
2014 Regular Season: STL 96 PTS 92 FT% 90
2014 Playoffs: STL 99 PTS 92 FT% 93

Nikola Mirotic SF/PF
2014 Regular Season: TOV 79 FT% 62 3PT 61
2014 Playoffs: PTS 82 REB 75 3PT 71
Current Yahoo ADP: : 73 (and rising about two spots/day)

Pau Gasol PF/C
2014 Regular Season: REB 99 BLK 98
2014 Playoffs: REB 96 FG% 94 PTS 90
Current Yahoo ADP: 30

The Bulls frontcourt was always great fantasy value under Thibodeau because of the shallow rotation, although that did come along with frequent injuries. Under Hoiberg the early returns appear to signal a breakout season for the Montenegrin sophomore Nikola Mirotic; Mirotic came on late with a balanced line last season and is demonstrating excellent chemistry with the two other names on this short list. Mirotic plays particularly well on offense when paired with Pau Gasol, who delivered what I think was his best fantasy season last year. Noah could bite into that production for a time but I don't expect him to take even 30 mpg. Jimmy Butler is the Bulls' best player in real life and fantasy and should resume efficient scoring and an elite STL/TO ratio that is matched by no one but Kawhi Leonard.

Cleveland

LeBron James SF/PF
2014 Regular Season: PTS 99 AST 98
2014 Playoffs: PTS 98 AST 97 STL 95
Current Yahoo ADP: 5

Kevin Love PF/C
2014 Regular Season: REB 96 3PT 87
2014 Playoffs: REB 88 3PT 76
Current Yahoo ADP: 24

Cleveland's frontcourt will have their hands full on offense opening the season with Kyrie Irving on the mend. LeBron's about as steady as clockwork but no longer has the upside he used to given his role in Cleveland. I expect him to rest more down the stretch this year which could have fantasy playoff implications. Although he got a bump from being left open frequently last season, Love was never a terribly accurate shooter as it was and should be expected to shoot terribly at times as he recovers from his shoulder joint being pulled apart like the action figure of a child with emotional problems. You can also take Kyrie if he drops to like 3rd round. I guess. In that case I hope you have an IR spot.

Dallas
"skittish, tooms" as riddick would say

Denver
no way

Detroit

Andre Drummond PF/C ( :siren: PUNT FT%)
2014 Regular Season: REB 99 BLK 98
2014 Playoffs: REB 99 BLK 99
Current Yahoo ADP: 36

Like fellow Japanophile Wolverine, Drummond is the best at what he does: rebounding. This guy is so young he's probably still growing, along with your favorite Clipper DJ he is one of the absolute killer players you can draft in early rounds if you're willing to punt FT%. I'm not saying you can't win FT% if you draft Drummond; just that you shouldn't try to. As the Japanese fans Drummond is popular with would say: "Mottainai." (don't be wasteful)

Golden State

Stephen Curry PG/SG
2014 Regular Season: 3PT 99 STL 99 AST 99 (etc...)
2014 Playoffs: 3PT 99 FT% 99 PTS 98
Current Yahoo ADP: 2

Klay Thompson SG/SF
2014 Regular Season: 3PT 99 PTS 96
2014 Playoffs: 3PT 97 TOV 89 PTS 87
Current Yahoo ADP: 13

Draymond Green SF/PF
2014 Regular Season: STL 92 REB 87 BLK 87
2014 Playoffs: STL 87 REB 72 AST 72
Current Yahoo ADP: 28

This is just a sampling of the stats you can get investing in Golden State's backcourt. Health concerns were largely not an issue last season, Curry is a valid candidate for #1 pick as he gives you dominance in 3 or 4 categories I didn't even list under his name. Klay's line is extremely efficient and can buoy a variety of strategies coming back on the turn, particularly when paired with an efficient PF/C. Draymond is the swiss army knife of the team and will essentially give you a little bit of all the auxiliary counting stats (3PT, STL, BLK, AST) while cutting back on the PTS and shooting efficiency you'd expect at his draft position. I think the secret's out on Draymond and he's going to be overdrafted by people who don't really understand how to use him.

Houston

James Harden SG/SF
2014 Regular Season: PTS 99 FT% 99
2014 Playoffs: PTS 99 FT% 99
Current Yahoo ADP: 4

Trevor Ariza SG/SF
2014 Regular Season: STL 98 3PT 95
2014 Playoffs: STL 97 3PT 98
Current Yahoo ADP: 47

Don't read too much into Houston's frontcourt or point guard controversies: your bread and butter lives with exactly two players who happen to make each other's lives much easier on the court and in fantasy. Harden boasts the best net effect on PTS and FT% you can draft since he takes and makes so many. Ariza uses the space Harden makes to rain threes and is pretty adept at generating turnovers (although his tendency is to get them in bursts when he finds a matchup he likes, rather than posting a high floor every night a la Chris Paul). I'm sure I don't need to point out the benefits of owning both over the course of a regular season.

Indiana

Paul George SG/SF/PF
2014 Regular Season: DNP
2014 Playoffs: 3PT 99 STL 99
Current Yahoo ADP:

Well if you believe the rumors this guy is healthy and ready to rock. Personally I get flashbacks to Danny Granger's comeback season that never was, probably because they just happen to be on the same team in the same position and followed a similar trajectory to brief stardom before being derailed by injuries. George has always been more of a ball-hawk than his Pacers predecessor ever was, and delivers a really balanced line when he's given freedom to produce. A risky pick with top-10 potential... if everything goes to plan. Note the shiny new PF designation.

L.A. Clippers

Chris Paul PG
2014 Regular Season: AST 99 STL 98 FT% 92
2014 Playoffs: AST 99 STL 99 FT% 99
Current Yahoo ADP: 6

DeAndre Jordan C ( :siren: PUNT FT%)
2014 Regular Season: REB 99 FG% 99 BLK 99
2014 Playoffs: REB 99 FG% 99 BLK 99
Current Yahoo ADP: 30

Blake Griffin PF/C
2014 Regular Season: PTS 96 FG% 92
2014 Playoffs: PTS 93 FG% 98
Current Yahoo ADP: 19

If you're picking outside of the top 3, note that Chris Paul was the most reliable player in fantasy last season by my measurements, although the big guy named DJ catching his alley-oops comes close. Each played a full season which is remarkable in CP's case and simply par for the course of DeAndre's career. Both deliver elite performance in scarce categories (AST/FT%, BLK/FG%) although DeAndre has the downside of strongly influencing you to punt FT%. Blake is probably overdrafted on name value given what he actually delivers, but to be fair he has taken leaps and bounds in creating his own shot and even seems to be hitting his free throws a little better in the preseason action I have watched.

L.A. Lakers
bad news

Memphis

Marc Gasol C
2014 Regular Season: BLK 96
2014 Playoffs: BLK 84 REB 86
Current Yahoo ADP: 26

A lot of really effective teams can be built around Marc's line, and he's been quite durable in recent years. Much like the team he plays for, he's considered a boring option by some but he doesn't hurt you anywhere, and is probably the most efficient big man outside of New Orleans when you look at shooting percentages combined with volume. Be wary of whoever in your league drafts Marc Gasol because they might just know what they are doing.

Miami
not now

Milwaukee
look elsewhere

Minnesota
ehhh naw

New Orleans

Anthony Davis PF/C
2014 Regular Season: BLK 99 FG% 99 PTS 99
2014 Playoffs: BLK 99 PTS 97 REB 97
Current Yahoo ADP: 1

This is who I'm taking #1 when I get the chance, you really have to go out of your way to lose with AD. Yeah he gets hurt a lot but he was arguably the best fantasy player last year despite being banged up. Career-highs in blocks, rebounds and points are all possible and even likely as his physical strength and confidence both continue to grow. He's not much to look at but just thinking about some of last year's lines (that I was on the other end of) makes my endorphins flow.

New York

Carmelo Anthony SF/PF
2014 Regular Season: PTS 99
2014 Playoffs: DNP
Current Yahoo ADP: 12

It's tough to talk about Melo because he'll be overdrafted because he's Melo but he should be underdrafted because of last season. I personally consider his lost year to have been an aberration unlikely to repeat itself, and the script has strong bounce-back written all over it. That said, all you'll ever get from him as far as elite categories is PTS and there are much cheaper players to be had who will give you that. Sure he makes threes and free throws but doesn't typically take as many of them as you'd prefer for him to. I recommend caution.

Oklahoma City

Russell Westbrook PG
2014 Regular Season: PTS 99 AST 99 STL 99
2014 Playoffs: PTS 99 AST 99 STL 99
Current Yahoo ADP: 6

Kevin Durant SF/PF
2014 Regular Season: PTS 99 3PT 95 FG% 95
Current Yahoo ADP: 5

Serge Ibaka PF/C
2014 Regular Season: BLK 99

Russell was the snake who circled the world last season, and anyone who read between the lines of Durant's injury early drafted him or traded for him and rode to countless victories. He spent a week or two averaging triple doubles. It was a problem. I don't know if he'll do it again, but I know he won't make it past the first 6 picks in most of your drafts. Let's peer towards his compatriot Thunders instead. Durant and Ibaka were both out of commission by the time fantasy grind time rolled around last year, and buyers may be shy at least in Ibaka's case. Given that you cannot possibly expect to get both Durant and Westbrook, I would personally allow someone else to bite on Durant this year, but really try to pounce on Ibaka if he slips past his ADP at all. Ibaka is really efficient (compare with Marc Gasol's shooting numbers) and will resume the progress he made on scoring. Ultimately owning Westbrook or Ibaka is a bet against Durant. With the variety of tectonic plates on shift in OKC (new coach, KD's free agency) what are you more comfortable betting on: everything going right or something major going wrong? The answer to this question may be the answer to this fantasy season.

Orlando
*crickets*

Philadelphia
the good players will be on the waiver wire

Phoenix

Eric Bledsoe PG/SG
2014 Regular Season: AST 94 STL 92
2014 Playoffs: AST 91 STL 92
Current Yahoo ADP: 34

Phoenix might be heading in the wrong direction, but Eric is an economical piece for a small-stats team (focusing on stuff like 3PT, AST, STL, FT%) and as long as he stays healthy, he'll produce. He's not very efficient and is not as pure of a facilitator as someone like John Wall, but you can find him maybe 1-2 rounds later if you're fortunate. Don't ignore the line just because the team name on the jersey isn't sexy. There's fantasy gold to be found in PHO especially if Markieff can settle his various internal/external disputes and return to form.

Portland

Damian Lillard PG
2014 Regular Season: 3PT 95 PTS 95 AST 94
2014 Playoffs: AST 96 FT% 92

I'm worried that he'll be over-drafted. The overall line is great and clearly first-round or borderline value, but if trends continue this guy's FG% is such a minus. He might have the toughest job in the NBA this season - spending all night running out of double-teams. At least he's well-paid by Adidas. Be careful of a mid-season fade and I'm not talking about his hairstyles although those will probably be better executed than anything else Portland does all season.

Sacramento

DeMarcus Cousins PF/C
2014 Regular Season: REB 99 PTS 99 BLK 98
2014 Playoffs: REB 99 PTS 99 BLK 99
Current Yahoo ADP: 8

On paper there is no downside to drafting DeMarcus Cousins. But it is gonna take your first pick so... maybe let someone else do it? No, there's nothing wrong with him. Why do you ask? I have to go now. (Wait until a moment where he seems paralyzed by ennui then trade for him, don't draft him yourself)

San Antonio

Kawhi Leonard SG/SF
2014 Regular Season: STL 99
2014 Playoffs: STL 99
Current Yahoo ADP: 10

Danny Green SG/SF
2014 Regular Season: 3PT 95
2014 Playoffs: 3PT 96
Current Yahoo ADP: 58

Kawhi Leonard, the undisputed offensive leader and star defender of the San Antonio Spurs. If it doesn't happen this season I think we can put the idea of Kawhi becoming his team's leading everything to rest. But you know what, it probably will happen this season. And even if he doesn't take the Jimmy Butler "step," truthfully, he already does everything in fantasy well. If he averaged like 2 more assists a game he'd be perfect - a plus contributor in every single one of 9 categories. He wasn't healthy last season but don't let that dissuade you from drafting him if your 1st-rounder is late and he drops. His teammate Danny shoots threes a lot. The two happen to function very well in tandem if you can invest a 3rd or 4th rounder. Every year we bet against the SAS oldsters and every year we wait another year. It's a grand tradition and a joy to participate in.

Toronto
more trouble than it's worth

Utah

Rudy Gobert C
2014 Regular Season: BLK 99
2014 Playoffs: REB 99 BLK 99

Don't expect the same jump and remember that his name is out there a little more now. There is no competition for Rudy to do Rudy things. But the value of Rudy was in more than what he did, it was in what you could get him for. And last season in many cases, he was an early-season waiver wire add. Maybe instead of drafting Rudy at his now sky-high position, focus on finding the next Rudy. I don't know who that is.. maybe Myles Turner? Keep an eye on some of the block-related advanced stats, those were an early signal of what Gobert could do around this time last season.

Washington

John Wall PG
2014 Regular Season: AST 99
2014 Playoffs: AST 99
Current Yahoo ADP: 16

This guy just puts out a ton of assists. He can do other stuff too but he and Chris Paul kind of corner the market on assists. Like, if you have one of them, you are winning assists more than half the time. It's just science. His ADP is pretty high because he's considered a star, but if your strategy involves winning assists you might be well justified to make the investment.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Excellent write up! Should I have some sort of plan going into the draft regarding categories? Or just basically go for the best available players?

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

RCarr posted:

Excellent write up! Should I have some sort of plan going into the draft regarding categories? Or just basically go for the best available players?

I think as a rule you want to take the most valuable players before anything else. Taking the Best Player Available means you can trade for what you want even if you end up with a player who doesn't fit your strategy. However, particularly in head to head formats, it's probably a good idea not to try to win every category when the victory comes down to winning just five. This becomes more of an issue when the playoffs roll around given that they are normally single elimination.

There are certain players whose strategies revolve around punting a particular category. FT% is the most common because of the two guys I sirened up there who tank it, as well as their predecessors such as Dwight Howard and Ben Wallace.

Try to calibrate your draft strategy to your opponents, figure out what they do and do something different. In a draft with people who aren't using any category-targeted strategies, a FT% punt team has a pretty firm advantage, assuming they can use their exemption to get Drummond and Jordan early. WIth that done, REB, BLK and FG% are very strong and you can focus on drafting the rest of your lineup to win PTS, 3PT, and/or STL. I don't recommend drafting to win TOV but instead just avoid the worst offenders. EvanTH's raw totals method is a good way to learn at a glance who those are. FT% punting is the most common example there's many different ways to build a team.

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
Draft chuckers and confidence guys with Carmelo and Kobe or your doing it wrong

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Here's what I came up with. 10 team H2H Categories: Points, Steals, Rebounds, Assists, Blocks, 3 pointers made, FG%, and FT%. I drafted 8th.

Edit: Ignore the second tab, I just bought my first mac today.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag
I'm playing in a league with my brother in law where they've all played for years and I don't know anything about what each play has done before.

It's an 11 cat H2H with Ast/TO ratio (instead of TOs) and double doubles and triple doubles categories 10 and 11.

TDs seems pretty random (Makes Westbrook, Harden slightly better), but I'm wondering if I can exploit DDs not being reflected in the default standings i.e. I'm looking to prefer bigs early if I can and draft a strong big team, maybe combined with a punt FT%.

I won't know pick order till an hour before the draft, but does anybody have insight in to a league with DDs and TDs?

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

gingerberger posted:

I'm playing in a league with my brother in law where they've all played for years and I don't know anything about what each play has done before.

It's an 11 cat H2H with Ast/TO ratio (instead of TOs) and double doubles and triple doubles categories 10 and 11.

TDs seems pretty random (Makes Westbrook, Harden slightly better), but I'm wondering if I can exploit DDs not being reflected in the default standings i.e. I'm looking to prefer bigs early if I can and draft a strong big team, maybe combined with a punt FT%.

I won't know pick order till an hour before the draft, but does anybody have insight in to a league with DDs and TDs?

How many teams are in your league? I can run some numbers to see who you should bump in each draft round based on the stunt categories.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

spacejung posted:

How many teams are in your league? I can run some numbers to see who you should bump in each draft round based on the stunt categories.

10 teams. Is there a good website out there where you can see fantasy predictions by category and particularly a way you can ignore certain categories and get a total ranking on the remaining categories? Or do the real serious people make and maintain their own spreadsheets with imported data? It would be great to have something I could use during the draft to say "who is the highest value pg left without ft%" for example, or who "I've got great reb, blocks, who is the highest guard left without those" basically I haven't seen any really malleable fantasy data sets (admittedly I haven't done more than 2 minutes of googling) but I figure some goon somewhere probably knows.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

gingerberger posted:

It will make Enes Kanter an upsettingly valuable player. He will vault up into the lofty realms of Tyreke Evans and Evan Turner (NOT A COINCIDENCE) in terms of great fantasy basketball value seemingly unrelated to helping his real-actual team win. Here's your double-doubles guys from last year:
http://www.basketball-reference.com...=Y&order_by=pts

And this is a better spot to look at raw totals from last year than what I linked before -- http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2015_totals.html?lid=header_seasons
Although BBR likely stores positions differently than your fantasy league, it's a big ol sortable and exportable document you can throw into Excel or whatever if you wanna have a reference sheet

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

gingerberger posted:

10 teams. Is there a good website out there where you can see fantasy predictions by category and particularly a way you can ignore certain categories and get a total ranking on the remaining categories? Or do the real serious people make and maintain their own spreadsheets with imported data? It would be great to have something I could use during the draft to say "who is the highest value pg left without ft%" for example, or who "I've got great reb, blocks, who is the highest guard left without those" basically I haven't seen any really malleable fantasy data sets (admittedly I haven't done more than 2 minutes of googling) but I figure some goon somewhere probably knows.

Here's last year's top 10 with this scoring system:

1. Russell Westbrook
2. Chris Paul
3. James Harden
4. Stephen Curry
5. Anthony Davis
6. John Wall
7. LeBron James
8. Pau Gasol
9. Damian Lillard
10. Eric Bledsoe

Based on what I see I think the AST/TO ratio category more than offsets the double-doubles category, at least as it pertains to the decision of drafting early bigs vs. smalls. To consider an example, Ricky Rubio would have been top-10 value if he had played a whole season. It seems to me that assists are kind of counting for two categories, so Chris Paul and John Wall are the 1st-round targets I would prefer after Curry and Davis are gone. Of course Harden and Russell and LeBron are very tempting as well, and even through Blake Griffin recorded zero triple-doubles last season he's often very close to breaking through and has good AST/TO - he would be a really nice 2nd round pick if you can get him. On the flipside of that be mindful of the fact that Cousins's AST/TO is quite bad.

Here are the main late-round players I would bump, Stunt Value is +/- for (DD/TD/AST-TO):

1. Reggie Jackson (Yahoo ADP: 71) (Stunt Value: +/++/+)
This is exactly the kind of player you want, an occasional triple double threat who hovers around 10 assists. Check out his game log after the trade to Detroit. Current mocks typically have him going by the sixth round but he has the potential to deliver 1st-2nd round returns in this specific scoring format.

2. Ricky Rubio (Yahoo ADP: 77) (Stunt Value: +/+/++)
Similar story - 1st round value but going in about the 8th in mock drafts. I would start eyeing him in the second round then wait a round for every 10 games you expect him to miss with injury. See where he was drafted last year to gauge how much your competitors are gimmicking the scoring system.

3. Darren Collison (Yahoo ADP: 133) (Stunt Value: -/-/+)
Terrible at double-doubling but behind Rondo the AST/TO ratio should stay above 2.0. I see him going around the 11th typically these days; you could justify reaching 3-4 rounds to stash him, particularly if you're also taking Rondo.

4. Elfrid Payton (Yahoo ADP: 70) (Stunt Value: +/++/++)
Huge triple-double threat, slips to the 8th round on the regular because people fear his shooting, easily justifiable as a third-round target in this league.

5. Evan Turner (Yahoo ADP: 139) (Stunt Value: -/+/+)
This is just a breakout pick, he does have a statistical profile wherein he can steal a triple-double if Jae Crowder misses games. I see him go undrafted regularly and you could do worse even with a 9th-10th pick. Maintains a pretty good AST/TO ratio overall just because he does rack up assists.

6. Jarrett Jack (Yahoo ADP: 119) (Stunt Value: -/-/+)
Jarrett Jack doesn't break double-digits in assists very often but his assist/game floor is very low and the turnover situation is rarely awful. People take him near the end of drafts so if he's there go nuts, and if you are shallow at point guard by the 9th pick think about it.

7. Zaza Pachulia (Yahoo ADP: 148) (Stunt Value: +/-/-)
A cheap/consistent source of double-doubles last season. Goes undrafted usually. A better use for your last bench spot than most if he can crack 30 min.

8. Jordan Clarkson (Yahoo ADP: 125) (Stunt Value: -/-/+)
Another in the mold of the good AST/TO ratio backup guards, Clarkson gets the Laker boost and can go as early as the 11th but with minutes is worth 3-4 rounds better than standard in your league. Keep an eye out for his MRI results he hurt his shoulder last night. If he goes down Lou Williams would be a great fill-in at about the same drafting position for the same reasons.

9. Rajon Rondo (Yahoo ADP: 104) (Stunt Value: -/+/+)
Sure he'll have triple doubles but don't count on him lasting all season as the starting guard in Sacramento. If I had to guess who your competition will over-pay on, it's this guy and Rubio. He goes in the 9th a lot these days, the 6th or 7th would be reasonable here.

10. Terrence Jones (Yahoo ADP: 95) (Stunt Value: +/-/-)
If you don't mind a hedge against Dwight, a healthy Terrence Jones will pull down double-doubles all year. He seems to be rooted in the 9th but you can reach three rounds if you believe in the potential.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've never played fantasy basketball before and I just joined up 10 team H2H points league with the following scoring structure:

Assists: 1
Rebounds: 1
Steals: 1
Blocks: 1
T/O: -1
FGA: -1
FGM: 1
FTA: -1
FTA: 1
DD: 2
TD: 4
QD: 10

So it seems to me like I should be targeting high scoring, high percentage shooters over volume shooters. Also for double doubles I'll want an assist or rebounding monsters. Seems pretty simple but am I overlooking anything obvious? Are there players who might not be superstars but will yield consistent results with this scoring system?

edit: looks like there have been a few posts since I started drafting this one, I'll look into some of the players and stat websites you guys posted. Thanks!

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 23, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
That FGA- with no adjustment for 3P% basically means that interior dudes will be more valuable than great 3p shooters, sort of an olde-fashioned way to run a league. Exploit it, try to favor bigs over wings. Bigs also tend to have fewer turnovers than wings because they aren't handling much.

You should go out of your way to get Vucevic on your team--he's a fantasy monster in almost any format and yours looks like it might favor him more than others.

edit: nifty fact--who holds the Orlando Magic team record for rebounds in a game? It's not Shaquille O'Neal, it's not Dwight Howard, it's Nikola Vucevic.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 23, 2015

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Good to know. I think there are a lot of first time players in this league so hopefully a lot will draft based on best available, leaving me with some opportunities to exploit the points structure. I have the #2 overall pick in the draft and I assume Anthony Davis will go #1. Since we're doing a snake draft I'll end up with #2, #19, #22... and what do you know? Vucevic ADP is 22. Knowing I'm playing with mostly noobs should I trust that number and grab another big guy and maybe PG with my first couple picks? Or would you actually use a 1st or 2nd round on him?

One thing I'm a little confused by is the roster. On ESPN it seems like the vast majority of players have multiple positions listed, so when our lineup requires

PG
SG
SF
PF
C
G/F
F/C
Util x 3

Does this mean that someone like Aldridge as a PF/C is going to be more useful than a guy like Andre Drummond who is only a C? There isn't a huge difference in their projected points, but it seems like having flexibility in my roster would be good for taking advantage of match ups and maybe a little injury insurance.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I'd grab Vuc at 19. You can't waste your #2 overall pick on him, but definitely don't risk him getting snatched before your third pick. One of the good things about drafting near the turn is you can reach a little bit on guys you want that are coming up without reaching a ton.

And yeah, flexibility is always good. It doesn't add a ton of value, but if guys have similar value otherwise, I'd take the guy with positional flexibility most of the time.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Hugely helpful.

Is there a natural punt category here, or do I just try to make a balanced team exploiting the 3 categories that won't be reflected in ADP?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
#2 pick is a good place to be. Assuming a healthy season from both, KD is going to be more valuable in your league than Steph Curry and possibly by a wide margin. More points, fewer turnovers.

Might wind up being worth more than AD since AD has yet to play a complete season.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

gingerberger posted:

Hugely helpful.

Is there a natural punt category here, or do I just try to make a balanced team exploiting the 3 categories that won't be reflected in ADP?

I don't know that I'd say there is a natural punt category, but don't neglect assists because it has such strong collinearity with AST/TO. Enough of the guys on that list of 10 I made are bad free throw shooters that I would at least consider selling out on it if you do start taking them.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Had my leagues (10 player) draft (yahoo) about an hour ago ended up with this lineup, picking 9th in a snake draft:

1. DeMarcus Cousins (Sac - PF,C)

2. Carmelo Anthony (NY - SF,PF)

3. Gordon Hayward (Uta - SG,SF)

4. Chris Bosh (Mia - PF,C)

5. Dwight Howard (Hou - PF,C)

6. Goran Dragic (Mia - PG,SG)

7. Bradley Beal (Was - SG)

8. Kobe Bryant (LAL - SG,SF)

9. Jahlil Okafor (Phi - C)

10. Ty Lawson (Hou - PG)

11. Robin Lopez (NY - C)

12. Joe Johnson (Bkn - SG,SF)

13. Lou Williams (LAL - PG,SG)

Took a few gambles I am pretty much punting assists and threes and focusing on the big man stats as it's hard to turn down those 3 RB cats. Biggest risks are Kobe but I think I have enough across the board that winning scoring each week should help me get by and Okafor tanking my FT%.

One thing I noticed was the player rankings seemed a little janky, with a lot of guards being higher than their value is likely to be.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Am I already in a league? Am I a league? I wanna be in a league.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Anyone have any good drafting resources? My friend set up a 10 dollar winner-take-all 10 team 9-cat league and I've never put any effort into fantasy basketball. We used to play in free leagues by H2H points so I would just go with dumb gimmicks but I actually want to try this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Update: picked 5th

1.5 CP3 - easy decision
2.6 Al Horford - wasn't sure how things were going yet, so took
3.5 Deandre - felt like a sign punt FT% might work, pulled the trigger
4.6 Drummond - maybe went to big early, but in punt FT% this felt like good value. That solidified me into punt FT%.
5.5 Trevor Ariza - Seemed like good value, good 3PM and steals, hoping my bigs make up for FG%
6.6 Kyle Korver - FT% is wasted, but good 3pm and FG% for a wing. Was very unsure about who I should pick here, maybe I should have grabbed a combo guard? (punting points starting to look viable)
7.5 George Hill - wish I would have gone for Rubio here. He was still like 3 rounds down in the autodraft order, but got stolen after this round
8.6 Thaddeus Young - hope he gets a lot of playing time
9.5 Terrence Jones - sweet punt Pts, FT% numbers
10.6 Rajon Rondo - hoping he can pull his head out of his rear end. If so could be sweet in this league.
11.5 J.R. Smith
12.6 Ed Davis
13.5 Al-Farouq Aminu

Roster is PG-SG-G-SF-PF-F-C-Util-Util

Feel pretty good about it, I'm in waaaay last in projected FT% and Pts, but 2nd in several categories, and only outside of the top 4 in 3 categories.

Couple of questions: should I be targeting an trades? Rubio seems like an obvious target, overall it doesn't look like I have any huge holes, so probably just looking for value?
Anyone big picture strategy for who to start? Should it just be the 9 highest production guys?
Finally on Yahoo at the end of the draft it had team projections for all the different categories (so I could seem my team is projected 1st in Reb, 10th in FT%, etc). Does anyone know how to get back to that screen? I hate Yahoo's UI.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
We need one more person, to auction draft tonight at 9pm est, send me a pm with your email if you're handy

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Please join our mighty band of basketball fantasists

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dejan Bimble posted:

We need one more person, to auction draft tonight at 9pm est, send me a pm with your email if you're handy

Is it a cash league Dejan?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
We'd always done it purely for bragging rights and moral victories, money is a polluting influence

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm down if you still need one.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Any leagues drafting tonight? Down to start learning the ropes since I like Fantasy Baseball because of the everyday thing!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I'm down for a league.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah I'm down for a league.

Lets make a league and draft tomorrow. I can do anytime because I work from home, but auction would be a little tougher if we don't do it later. I did a pubby draft, but no one is going to play it and no trades will be made. I will commish if you guys want, but keep in mind I have never actually did F BBall before!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Can I draft from my phone

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I think on ESPN and Yahoo you can.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Decided to do YahooPro20 tonight H2H. Picked sixth out of twelve and ended up with this team:

1. Chris Paul
2. Kevin Love
3. Al Horford
4. Andrew Wiggins
5. Kyrie Irving
6. Dirk Nowitzki
7. Bradley Beal
8. J.J. Redick
9. Luol Deng
10. Mason Plumlee
11. Ben McLemore
12. Jeff Green
13. Mario Hezonja

I figure Irving is trade bait once he comes back, Wiggins was early but I liked his scoring upside, and I should be okay to set on rebounds, steals, 3ptm, fg%, ft%, and be relatively low on turnovers/fouls. One guy ahead of me kept snagging all my picks, like Paul George instead of Kevin Love, Chris Paul instead of Lebron, Horford instead of DeAndre Jordan, and Mike Conley ahead of Kyrie Irving.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Doltos posted:

I figure Irving is trade bait once he comes back, Wiggins was early but I liked his scoring upside, and I should be okay to set on rebounds, steals, 3ptm, fg%, ft%, and be relatively low on turnovers/fouls. One guy ahead of me kept snagging all my picks, like Paul George instead of Kevin Love, Chris Paul instead of Lebron, Horford instead of DeAndre Jordan, and Mike Conley ahead of Kyrie Irving.

I think CP is a much better pick (in a vacuum, maybe not for every strat) this year. LeBron is going to sit a lot of games out, and play reduced minutes. I think you dodged a bullet there actually.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
12 team 9-cat, 11th pick. First time drafting categories. How did I do?

1. (11) Jimmy Butler (Chi - SG,SF)
2. (14) John Wall (Was - PG)
3. (35) Chris Bosh (Mia - PF,C)
4. (38) Trevor Ariza (Hou - SG,SF)
5. (59) Greg Monroe (Mil - PF,C)
6. (62) Chandler Parsons (Dal - SF,PF)
7. (83) Deron Williams (Dal - PG)
8. (86) Roy Hibbert (LAL - C)
9. (107) Timofey Mozgov (Cle - C)
10. (110) Avery Bradley (Bos - PG,SG)
11. (131) Otto Porter (Was - SF)
12. (134) Patrick Beverley (Hou - PG,SG)

Hibbert and Deron are because I am dumb and bad but hopefully my other decisions aren't stupid!

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 27, 2015

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
you def cannot draft on your phone on espn's fantasy app. and that, folks, is how you wind up with bismack biyombo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

NickRoweFillea posted:

you def cannot draft on your phone on espn's fantasy app. and that, folks, is how you wind up with bismack biyombo

You were autobidding up people with a loving fury

• Locked thread