Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Depending on your insurance you should be able to get some extra value back from those recent repairs if you kept receipts and they total it. Echoing deer are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Well, after crash support from the insurance company has been pretty piss-poor to this point.

The truck was towed to a shop the insurance company's roadside assistance chose. A shop that doesn't do bodywork. A shop that only has three parking spaces outside of their business. And they, understandably, want my truck out of there.

I told them I'd have it out in no more than a couple days when they called on Monday.

Well, I talked to the appraiser/adjuster on Monday and he said that he could look at the car on Tuesday (yesterday). After not hearing from him, I called him at 3:15 and 5:15 and received no response.

So, for an accident on Saturday night, we're now at Wednesday morning and the insurance company hasn't even looked at the truck yet. I'm not happy.

I did go to the shop and personally apologize to the owner on Monday. Hopefully that bought enough goodwill to get through this without pissing him off.

The truck did take a serious hit. I got some pictures when I was there. Anything in front of the radiator support was obliterated. There's just nothing left of the grille surround, headlight, grille/headlight mounting panel. The radiator support is hosed, and bent the right upper rail is bent. the fan is jammed into the radiator and I don't know yet if that damaged the water pump or motor.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Heard from insurance. The guy from yesterday had a family emergency that explains why I didn't hear from him. The guy today is on it. He's having it towed to a shop close to me and he's going to meet me tomorrow to look at it. He said just from the swaying of the upper rail that it'll probably be a total. We'll see tomorrow...

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
That kinda blows. Every time I watch project binky on youtube for instance, I think of all the time put into that car and just some sort of dumb poo poo luck could completely ruin a car that you've sunk a massive amount of time and energy into. Makes my butthole pucker just thinking about it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

With Binky, at least, you know they'd just whip out some cardboard aided design and fix it.

With this thing, it's probably going to come down entirely to whether or not the framerails moved.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

With Binky, at least, you know they'd just whip out some cardboard aided design and fix it.

With this thing, it's probably going to come down entirely to whether or not the framerails moved.

Upper frame rail is definitely tweaked on the right side. I'm wondering how much force the engine took, since the strike was just about dead-center and the radiator/condenser give no resistance... I'm wondering what the motor mounts look like.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Deer are squishier than main bearings, so I doubt the engine's got any serious damage from a light smack on the harmonic balancer. Long as the motor mounts aren't trashed and the water pump took most of the force through the fan and clutch, I wouldn't worry about the block/crank themselves.

The chassis and whole cooling+ac system being trashed though? That's a total IMO.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah looks totaled to me considering what the truck is worth. Hopefully they'll give you a decent pay out at least.

Didn't you just put new wheels and tires on it? Reminds me of when i put a bunch of money in maintenance into a Crown Vic only to have it totaled a few weeks later, I was pissed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Yeah looks totaled to me considering what the truck is worth. Hopefully they'll give you a decent pay out at least.

Didn't you just put new wheels and tires on it? Reminds me of when i put a bunch of money in maintenance into a Crown Vic only to have it totaled a few weeks later, I was pissed.

"Worth" is going to be debated when I meet the adjuster tomorrow. With 98k miles and spotless condition, I'm getting an $8-9k valuation, based on NADA and KBB values combined with current similar vehicles for sale. I have receipts for almost $2k in parts since November. I don't know how it's going to go.

So yeah, I just put a bunch of money into it... and a shitload of time. Update tomorrow will tell the tale.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The receipts will definitely help, even for partial credit. I'm sure you know but you don't have to take their offer if it's low.

On the other hand, that looks to me like a relatively easy fix if you feel like putting the time in. I'd shop the insurance auctions for a rear ended parts car in the same color. Might take a while to find but you could have 100% of the parts needed for under $3k, plus spares to part out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Met with the appraiser today. He knew what he was doing, was surprised with how clean the truck is. He was also very impressed with my E39. I was wearing one of my Zymol shirts and had enough questions and things to show him that he knew where I was coming from.

He said the same thing that I thought -- it could go either way. He said that he's going to price it out both ways, repair or total. He said that it was clean enough and the mileage low enough that he'd quote it at dealer retail price instead of their normal private party price, so we'll see... he's supposed to call me tomorrow.

He also said that it must have been a big deer to sway the whole front like it did (the driver's headlight is intact, but pulled away from the driver's fender, the entire front of the car is shifted to the right.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Well, insurance put it at ~$7000 in damage. Total loss payout was somewhere North of that.

I'm going to total it. Buyback is ~$1500. If I can find a buyer soon, I'll flip it. If not, it'll go to auction. I don't have the time or space to get it back on the road myself.

Insurance company seems to be well-run and reasonable, which is a great surprise.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RIP

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

gently caress deer and everything about them.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

gileadexile posted:

gently caress deer and everything about them.

If I could I'd hunt them year-round...with guided missiles. gently caress deer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's one of the many things I don't miss about living up north, gently caress deer indeed.

There's some deer in Florida, but they're tiny and way out in BFE.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I definitely echo the "gently caress deer" sentiments.

Even though I got a very fair payout from the insurance company, I'm still back in the search for a vehicle. The Envoy was perfect for my purposes -- a bit smaller than full-sized GM SUVs, three rows plus storage behind, dead-solid mechanicals with no real sword of Damocles failures...

I'd like to get another Envoy, but finding one like that with sub-100k miles is very tough. Plus, if I'd do another Envoy, I'd hold out for a V8... that, plus the fact that the XL/3rd row version was only made from 2004-2006 makes it a daunting prospect.

So, my budget is $10-12k. Needs third row, captains chair second row is preferable. 4wd/awd is preferable. Roof rack is nearly a need. Decent power is preferable.

Things I've seen:

GMC Acadia / Buick Enclave would be perfect, except for the timing chain bullshit that plagues the 3.6 V6 that they all have. Not worth the risk.

GMC Yukon / Cadillac Escalade would work, but a bit larger than my wife is comfortable with. Definite possibility, but low mileage ones push the budget a bit.

Dodge Durango / Chrysler Aspen are interesting. They seem to fit the bill, but I don't know much about them as far as ease of maintenance / potential problems.

Jeep Commander is just too boxy.

Toyota Sequoia is a possibility, but all of those seem to be mega-miles.

Toyota Land Cruiser / Lexus LX4xx would work, but again, really tough to find in price/mileage matrix.

What am I missing that I should be considering?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Honda Pilot? Mileage might be hard but 4wd, has a third row, no capain chair second row unfortunately.

My family has had a 2006 since new, currently at ~108k miles. The only major maintenance was the timing belt at 100k.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The big one that's not on your list is a Ford Explorer.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The Nissan has the armada in that range. I have a customer with one at work and it's awesome. She's is abusive to it and it handles it well. It has a slightly bigger then envoy feel. But its not like driving a suburban.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Avoid durango's and aspens with the 4.7 V8. If it overheats even slightly they like to drop valves.

Honestly I would go for a Pilot/highlander.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Avoid the 4.0L V6 like the plague. The timing setup is so bad even VW V8 S4 engineers couldn't make it worse.

(It's half on the front and half on the back so you have to pull the motor to do the back one)

Oh and the IRS setup is obnoxious and requires a 30 ton press to do the wheel bearings. The IFS I know nothing about.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Avoid the 4.0L V6 like the plague. The timing setup is so bad even VW V8 S4 engineers couldn't make it worse.

(It's half on the front and half on the back so you have to pull the motor to do the back one)

Oh and the IRS setup is obnoxious and requires a 30 ton press to do the wheel bearings. The IFS I know nothing about.

The front suspension is squeaky and tends to break the fuel or brake lines that are right by it. There is no positive to explorers of any variation. The newer ones have interior door handle problems and other cheap interior faults.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

Avoid durango's and aspens with the 4.7 V8. If it overheats even slightly they like to drop valves.

Honestly I would go for a Pilot/highlander.
What about the Hemi Durango/Aspens?

SouthsideSaint posted:

The Nissan has the armada in that range. I have a customer with one at work and it's awesome. She's is abusive to it and it handles it well. It has a slightly bigger then envoy feel. But its not like driving a suburban.
My neighbor has an Armada, I'll look into them.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm just not big on Ford, in general. When looking for the Envoy I looked at a couple Expeditions and just hated the way they were set up for maintenance/repair.

mariooncrack posted:

Honda Pilot? Mileage might be hard but 4wd, has a third row, no capain chair second row unfortunately.

My family has had a 2006 since new, currently at ~108k miles. The only major maintenance was the timing belt at 100k.
I live right near Marysville and Hondas are ubiquitous here, I like being a little bit different, but Pilot is an option, too.

The Highlander is an option... I think it's got the stupid-strong V6 that my wife's old RAV4 had. Those like to munch water pumps and in the RAV4 it's a hell job, but in the Highlander there's a lot more room to work.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Toyota Land Cruiser / Lexus LX4xx would work, but again, really tough to find in price/mileage matrix.

If you're willing to go south there seems to be a lot of the LX's down here. Around $10k the mileage is usually a bit high, but for a Lexus it's not a big deal as long as you find one in good condition.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

leica posted:

If you're willing to go south there seems to be a lot of the LX's down here. Around $10k the mileage is usually a bit high, but for a Lexus it's not a big deal as long as you find one in good condition.

Likewise, I was going to say, if you go sequioa or land cruiser, the v8s are plenty reliable. I wouldn't be as scared of a little high milage on something that was treated well.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
AFAIK the 5.7 Hemi is a very reliable engine. I cannot speak for the transmission, they came with several different versions. I don't think the 545RFE is that bad if it's had regular fluid changes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Only if you're willing to inspect what I find before I fly down. :D (What section of craigslist would I look at?)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I could do that for you.....Within reason of course :v:

I live in St.Pete, so if you search Pinellas county in the Tampa Bay area in CL that's my area.

Also use Lexus Drivers to search any VIN you want, if it was serviced at a Lexus dealer all the records will be available to you.

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

But to be honest if you found one anywhere down here with just a few owners and good records you're golden, just fly down and get it. Forget the miles, the former is what's important.

[edit] The closest one I found in your budget is in Orlando, but it doesn't look too bad for $8k. You could probably do better though.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5559432469.html

There were a bunch more available on CL when I was looking for a 430, they must go pretty quick.

[edit2] since autotrader links don't work for poo poo, copy and paste these minus the [url] of course:

[url]http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=33710&endYear=2017&modelCode1=LX_MODELS&showcaseOwnerId=96750&makeCode1=LEXUS&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=13000&showcaseListingId=427472610&mmt=[LEXUS[][LX_MODELS[]]]&listingId=421421246&Log=0

[url]http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=33710&endYear=2017&modelCode1=LX_MODELS&showcaseOwnerId=96750&makeCode1=LEXUS&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=13000&showcaseListingId=427472610&mmt=[LEXUS[][LX_MODELS[]]]&listingId=373791721&Log=0

[url]http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=33710&endYear=2017&modelCode1=LX_MODELS&showcaseOwnerId=96750&makeCode1=LEXUS&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=13000&showcaseListingId=427472610&mmt=[LEXUS[][LX_MODELS[]]]&listingId=427809036&Log=0

But I think you get the idea, search autotrader there are a bunch of them in this state.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 14, 2016

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

the 2UZ 4.7L V8 found in the LC100 landcruiser and LX470 is an absolute tank of an engine, nice and refined and plenty pokey enough for that size vehicle, and if your feeling particuarly stupid there is a TRD supercharger kit around for them too.

Ive got a 2005 Landcruiser 100, and its a 11yr old truck now with 280,000kms on the clock and not a SINGLE PIECE OF PLASTIC is broken on it. Even the clips in the engine bay undo without issue. An LX470 is basically BWM levels of refinement without the USDM plastic durability.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Maybe a Lexus GX470?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5576066011.html

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
What's the difference between the GX and LX? Is the GX the 4runner equivalent?

My wife and I are sort of in the market for a similar vehicle if the right one comes along. I've considered a 4runner, tahoe/yukon, landcruiser (if I could find one), and maybe a lx470.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

dreesemonkey posted:

What's the difference between the GX and LX? Is the GX the 4runner equivalent?

That was going to be my question... I have never looked at a GX...

Thanks for the offer, leica. If I find something unreal in Florida, I'd consider it. I'd prefer to keep it North of the Carolinas just for cutting some of the travel time.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

That was going to be my question... I have never looked at a GX...

Thanks for the offer, leica. If I find something unreal in Florida, I'd consider it. I'd prefer to keep it North of the Carolinas just for cutting some of the travel time.

I looked it up, the GX is based on the 4runner. I imagine that rules it out for you, as the edmunds synopsis said the 3rd row was really cramped and until '05 it had 235hp from the 4.7 (then 270, then 263).

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

So, my budget is $10-12k. Needs third row, captains chair second row is preferable. 4wd/awd is preferable. Roof rack is nearly a need. Decent power is preferable.

What am I missing that I should be considering?

I forget... is there a "no minivan" clause on this purchase? Because an AWD Toyota Sienna hits everything on that list easily.

e: maybe not price, I didn't check.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

I really hope you find a LX470 mostly 'cause I want to see your detailing/paint magic on one.
:swoon:

Blitter fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 15, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

I looked it up, the GX is based on the 4runner. I imagine that rules it out for you, as the edmunds synopsis said the 3rd row was really cramped and until '05 it had 235hp from the 4.7 (then 270, then 263).

Not to be a pedant but they're both based on the Land Cruiser Prado (which is why the 4Runner is so huge now).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mungtor posted:

I forget... is there a "no minivan" clause on this purchase? Because an AWD Toyota Sienna hits everything on that list easily.

e: maybe not price, I didn't check.

It'd be fine for me, but my wife has a "no minivan" clause. She hasn't gotten over her vanity phase. :shrug:

Blitter posted:

I really hope you find a LX470 mostly 'cause I want to see your detailing/paint magic on one.
:swoon:

It'd be fun, if it was a good color. I never showed any pictures of the Envoy getting detailed because it was silver. You can never tell whether silver is even clean or not, much less whether it's polished properly.

That said, I'm still open, but I may hold out for a low-mile Yukon or Escalade. Tough to find without a poo poo-ton of miles, but they're out there.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Highlanders are tiny inside, you don't want one of those.
When had the same requirements as you, I ended up with a pathfinder, but I was buying new.

One thing to consider is where the 7th seat is, if you are going to actually use it. I rented a chevy traverse, which has the middle seat in the back, between the wheel wells. The middle row was Capitan chairs. Made the three across super squishy, opposed to the pathfinder (new style which is basically an altima wagon) which has the middle row as the three across.
None of this matters if you can argue a Caravan, but my wife is the same. Plus I need to tow 4-5k lbs with my car, and the pathfinder can handle that.
maybe get a used armada. No one wants those, so they are cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Went out the the truck yesterday to get all my stuff out of it. Insurance has it, getting a big fat check tomorrow.

Search is narrowing on Yukons/Escalades, since I am completely bad at remembering basic three-digit numbers, apparently.

The Envoy XL was almost 210 inches in length. For some reason, I had it in my head that Yukons/Escalades were longer yet, even in regular wheelbase models.

That is not true. While the XL versions of the Yukon/Escalade is over 220 inches, the regular wheelbase models are under 200 inches -- almost 10" SHORTER than the Envoy XL.

With that, the extra 5" in width of the Yukon/Escalade isn't that much of an issue, since the footprint is close enough to the same.

• Locked thread