Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fart Pipe posted:

You are a self proclaimed victim. Seriously dude no one cares that much about your posting but you think they do for some reason.

Y'all are free to move to another thread, nobody is forcing you to read and/or post in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

Y'all are free to move to another thread, nobody is forcing you to read and/or post in this one.

The victim complex black hole is sucking me iiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The funny thing is that a vocal bunch of nerds is bitching about how much they don't like this thread... meanwhile, it's in the top five threads by number of posts today.

Bottom line is that I'm doing a thing and y'all are bitching about... what, a thing I'm doing?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

meatpimp posted:

No joke Im interested in the Buick revival but the digs on other posters is just weird and sad.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

The funny thing is that a vocal bunch of nerds is bitching about how much they don't like this thread... meanwhile, it's in the top five threads by number of posts today.

Bottom line is that I'm doing a thing and y'all are bitching about... what, a thing I'm doing?

No, your car is fine. It's your face that looks like a goatse.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ozmiander posted:

No, your car is fine. It's your face that looks like a goatse.

Hilarious. Now I know why you're on a comedy forum.

Fart Pipe posted:

No joke Im interested in the Buick revival but the digs on other posters is just weird and sad.

I'd rather have someone like Oz step straight up (even though his burns are feeble, at best), than to get on an alt and hide. Alts making goatse jokes are not funny and are, in fact, the sad bit.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 18, 2015

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

Please tip your server.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

meatpimp posted:

I'd rather have someone like Oz step straight up (even though his burns are feeble, at best), than to get on an alt and hide. Alts making goatse jokes are not funny and are, in fact, the sad bit.

This is the only account I have, again you are super paranoid for some reason.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I genuinely want to see stuff about this fugly Buick, because we don't have them here, so it's kind of interesting.

The other nonsense is just confusing me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fart Pipe posted:

This is the only account I have, again you are super paranoid for some reason.

I wasn't talking about you. Want to revisit your paranoia comment?

This is the alt troll I was talking about :

EMCF posted:

Goatse wagon. I wouldn't let my kids in there.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

forums poster pimper of meat i support this endeavor you are undertaking

dirty secret, the cars everyone hates are the ones there are no surviving examples of decades down the line, so youre actually preserving whatll be a rare piece of history someday. the pure distilled essence of detroit malaise.

godspeed good forumsman

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Well you quoted me and then talked about alts so not a hard correlation to make but ok yea I see what you meant to say now.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Didn't these have the engines with the exploding headgaskets?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

Nearly 5k posts is an awful lot for it to be someones random parachute troll account. You are the one sounding kinda paranoid.

That said I'm interested in witnessing your descent into madness as the true horrors of this car slowly reveal themselves to you.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

meatpimp posted:

you're paranoid as gently caress lmao

:toxx: that isn't my account, you can get ioc to look it up if you want

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Terrible Robot posted:

Nearly 5k posts is an awful lot for it to be someones random parachute troll account. You are the one sounding kinda paranoid.

That said I'm interested in witnessing your descent into madness as the true horrors of this car slowly reveal themselves to you.

His one post since July is in this thread, and two of his four posts this year are in FYAD. Yep, that's a serious content poster right there.

The car will take care of the horrible descent, have no fear. It's going to clean up well, but I'm under no allusions that it will be good.

rscott posted:

you're paranoid as gently caress lmao

:toxx: that isn't my account, you can get ioc to look it up if you want

God drat, I'm not talking about you, either. Scroll up, I specifically said who I was talking about.

This is the reverse Helldump. People posting because they think I'm talking about them. :psyduck:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo this thread has perked up today. I was expecting carnage pics from the 4T65E or something, but nope. :munch:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cursedshitbox posted:

Holy poo poo this thread has perked up today. I was expecting carnage pics from the 4T65E or something, but nope. :munch:

everybody hates chrismeatpimp

meatpimp, is this just a detail+flip or will you be doing any mechanical work on it? i know you said you wouldn't do a tranny swap yourself but what about lighter work?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

To be fair my level of interest in this thread is about the same as the Lambo one. And at least this one has very small odds of becoming black widow vehicle 2.0 but with children involved.

What exact content do you want to see on an automotive forum?

meatpimp: your paranoia is super weird.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Seconded. :munch:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Enourmo posted:

everybody hates chrismeatpimp

meatpimp, is this just a detail+flip or will you be doing any mechanical work on it? i know you said you wouldn't do a tranny swap yourself but what about lighter work?

Everybody loves meatpimp, some just haven't come to terms with the fact yet.

I don't know, I didn't buy it to flip, it wouldn't be my choice for that. I was looking for a beater to haul the dog and kids around without care. This would fit the bill nicely. If it turns into a shithole like this thread, I'll flip it.

Comrade Flynn posted:

meatpimp: your paranoia is super weird.

From the weird facebook messages I've gotten lately, this thread is exactly as I expected... maybe it's coming off as paranoia. That would be weird.

Edit: some goon spending :10bux: just proves my point. :bravo:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

I don't know, I didn't buy it to flip, it wouldn't be my choice for that. I was looking for a beater to haul the dog and kids around without care. This would fit the bill nicely. If it turns into a shithole like this thread, I'll flip it.

Gotcha, guess I just assumed since it's something a lot of my irl friends do.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

1500quidporsche posted:

I thought that was the "Short Star" the north star motor with 2 cylinders lopped off. Explains a lot.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Comrade Flynn posted:

Generally old weird poo poo where the potential for it going wrong is high.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I thought that was the "Short Star" the north star motor with 2 cylinders lopped off. Explains a lot.

GM's had great success with just cutting out two cylinders from their V8s in the past though. The 4.3 is a god drat tank from my experience.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

1500quidporsche posted:

Generally old weird poo poo where the potential for it going wrong is high.

GM's had great success with just cutting out two cylinders from their V8s in the past though. The 4.3 is a god drat tank from my experience.

Yeah but the SBC was a tank to begin with.

The northstar was just ok.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The Buick 3.8 was a descendent of the Rover V8, which turned out to be a great V6 with decent power and good fuel economy.

But the North star was a good motor in concept. But the execution was typical GM corporate bullshit cost cutting/rush bullshit. Really when a north star works correctly it makes really good power and has a wonderful sound. For most of them to make 300-275hp and 275-300lbs of torque (depends on the flavor), plus the STS-V that was super charged, it was a really not a complete flop, other than being packaged in FWD.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

1500quidporsche posted:

If it's the 3400, hoo boy those had some issues. His might be the 3.5l though, I forget when GM switched to that one. It might have been 04 or 05.

If the engines happened to overheat they'd pop head gaskets pretty easily. The problem was using aluminum heads with cast iron blocks, so the metal would expand differently and then not seal right.

The other major failure point was the lower intake manifold gasket, which if failed would just pour coolant either onto the ground or into the crank case.

As long as maintenance is kept up and the car isn't allowed to overheat the 3400 was fine. The problems arose with examples that weren't exactly maintained very well.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The Buick 3.8 was a descendent of the Rover V8, which turned out to be a great V6 with decent power and good fuel economy.

But the North star was a good motor in concept. But the execution was typical GM corporate bullshit cost cutting/rush bullshit. Really when a north star works correctly it makes really good power and has a wonderful sound. For most of them to make 300-275hp and 275-300lbs of torque (depends on the flavor), plus the STS-V that was super charged, it was a really not a complete flop, other than being packaged in FWD.

I've always thought that GM was always at their best when they had a mediocre new product that somehow made it to market that they stuck with and refined. Reading about GM's corporate culture in the old days before standardization always seemed like an acid trip gone bad, its shocking that company didn't go bankrupt in 6 months.

Edit:Pretty sure at least some of these came with the 3.4L and that's the engine I'm thinking of.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 18, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I will honestly feel bad for you if my half assed already-forgotten burn spurred you to buy that festering shitpile, because I didn't really give a crap and would have written a lot more angry words if I actually cared that much. Hopefully that was just an excuse to start a thread and you were already considering buying this shitbox, I don't need this kind of thing on my conscience :ohdear:

How hard is it to slap a junkyard 4T65 in there? I looked in one of those doorstop garbagecans at the yard a few weeks ago and it looked cramped and annoying to work on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hey I bought a shitbox today too and I'm probably gonna start a thread about it. Mine has a manual tho, have fun with the slushbox :smug:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

Burnouts?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Reading about GM's corporate culture in the old days before standardization always seemed like an acid trip gone bad, its shocking that company didn't go bankrupt in 6 months.

Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s GM was by far the best run of the big three. Henry Ford almost killed Ford in the womb as soon as GM rolled up and Chrysler is, was and always will be a suicidal drunk with a shotgun barrel in its mouth and its little toe wrapped around the trigger.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

If it's the 3400, hoo boy those had some issues.

It's the 3.6l VVT LY7 motor. I don't know anything about it, other than to change the rear bank of plugs you have to take off the motor mounts and rotate the engine forward.

kastein posted:

I will honestly feel bad for you if my half assed already-forgotten burn spurred you to buy that festering shitpile, because I didn't really give a crap and would have written a lot more angry words if I actually cared that much. Hopefully that was just an excuse to start a thread and you were already considering buying this shitbox, I don't need this kind of thing on my conscience :ohdear:

You didn't care so much that you had to post the same thing in two different threads? Curious, since it was the exact same baseless burn that your buddy sif was throwing around through facebook... like somehow because someone takes on a neverending project that's more AI than other. :lol:

quote:

How hard is it to slap a junkyard 4T65 in there? I looked in one of those doorstop garbagecans at the yard a few weeks ago and it looked cramped and annoying to work on.

It does look cramped. I would imagine it wouldn't be too bad with a straight cradle drop, but gently caress that noise.

I bought this as soon as I saw it because it looked neglected. I saw black paint with a lot of damage, but it was all factory paint. No accidents, no resprays. I was looking for a project and my projects are more maintenance/detailing and this fit the bill perfectly. I was going to just post progress in the detailing thread, but there are a number of components here -- paint/interior/plastic/engine/etc. and I didn't want to take over that thread.

The ultimate reveal was going to be some glamour shots (and it will look as good as a generic compact suv can), with some quip about how Mythbusters proved you could polish a turd, and I did too... but true-to-form, some people here live the gimmick too much.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 18, 2015

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I don't really care if it's an old $1800 car or an old $180.000 car, if someone buys it and fixes it up himself, and posts pics about it as it happens, I'm happy as a pig in poo poo.

meatpimp, sorry if I missed it, but is it AWD? If so, what system?

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

meatpimp posted:

It's the 3.6l VVT LT7 motor. I don't know anything about it, other than to change the rear bank of plugs you have to take off the motor mounts and rotate the engine forward.

LY7

Anyway, the head gasket issue was resolved with those but they had some pretty nasty timing chain issues. GM actually had a repair campaign on them so it's likely yours may have been fixed already.

The problem was the engine has 3 timing chains and one of them could prematurely stretch out. You'd know if it was gong on because you'd have a CEL and some slapping going on. GM paid out a poo poo ton of warranty hours on that one.

Besides that issue though they are pretty reliable, more so than the previous 3400/3800 v6 engines.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

LY7

Anyway, the head gasket issue was resolved with those but they had some pretty nasty timing chain issues. GM actually had a repair campaign on them so it's likely yours may have been fixed already.

The problem was the engine has 3 timing chains and one of them could prematurely stretch out. You'd know if it was gong on because you'd have a CEL and some slapping going on. GM paid out a poo poo ton of warranty hours on that one.

Besides that issue though they are pretty reliable, more so than the previous 3400/3800 v6 engines.

Yep, LY7.

Good to know. I've got to watch the PCV system, there was a bit of oil in the intake piping, but that very well could have been from the engine sucking so hard against a fully plugged air filter.

I replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body and started it... it was so far off in its mixture settings that it wouldn't start for about 7 seconds, then idled at 2k rpm as it recalibrated. It quickly settled down to normal, I wish I had scanned and got a record of the fueling offset beforehand... it would have been silly.

bolind posted:

I don't really care if it's an old $1800 car or an old $180.000 car, if someone buys it and fixes it up himself, and posts pics about it as it happens, I'm happy as a pig in poo poo.

meatpimp, sorry if I missed it, but is it AWD? If so, what system?

The crazy thing is that someone paid over $30k for this thing barely 10 years ago. It does have AWD, at least the hardware for it, but it's disabled itself right now. There's a wheel speed sensor hosed and that takes out both ABS and AWD. Hopefully it's a single point of failure when I get that far into it.

I have really mastered the plastic headlight / taillight / whatever polishing. The headlights were opaque on top and faded in the front when I started. A process of 400/600/800/1000/1500/2000 grit followed by a machine polish of Meguiars Plastic Cleaner, then machine polish of Meguiars Plastic Polish makes them as close to new as you'll find. It's astonishing the difference, and it's easy, too.

I got lazy and stopped the first one at 800 grit, then two machine polishes, but it just didn't turn out right, so I did it again.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 18, 2015

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s GM was by far the best run of the big three. Henry Ford almost killed Ford in the womb as soon as GM rolled up and Chrysler is, was and always will be a suicidal drunk with a shotgun barrel in its mouth and its little toe wrapped around the trigger.

They were definitely the best run but jesus, three separate automatic transmissions for three separate divisions and nobody wanted to work together on one.

Henry Ford was definitely in a league of his own though. The whole design process behind the flathead V8 seemed like some sort of satanic ritual.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

The crazy thing is that someone paid over $30k for this thing barely 10 years ago.

Jesus Christ, this is why I don't think I'll ever buy a new car again. When we got our Crown Vic Sport it was ten years old, the sticker was over 33k and I think we paid 7 or 8k for it :psyduck:

I've noticed used Enclaves are getting cheap, any idea how good they are?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

The crazy thing is that someone paid over $30k for this thing barely 10 years ago. It does have AWD, at least the hardware for it, but it's disabled itself right now. There's a wheel speed sensor hosed and that takes out both ABS and AWD. Hopefully it's a single point of failure when I get that far into it.

On most gm automatics with abs/tcs/awd that sensor needs to be working or all three poo poo the bed. I have seen many gms throw a code because someone got pissed and took a pair of dikes to that wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tasty food
Apr 29, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

They were definitely the best run but jesus, three separate automatic transmissions for three separate divisions and nobody wanted to work together on one.

Henry Ford was definitely in a league of his own though. The whole design process behind the flathead V8 seemed like some sort of satanic ritual.

Is there a place or book to can read more about this kind of history?

• Locked thread