Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hey I bought a shitbox today too and I'm probably gonna start a thread about it. Mine has a manual tho, have fun with the slushbox :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

The crazy thing is that someone paid over $30k for this thing barely 10 years ago.

Jesus Christ, this is why I don't think I'll ever buy a new car again. When we got our Crown Vic Sport it was ten years old, the sticker was over 33k and I think we paid 7 or 8k for it :psyduck:

I've noticed used Enclaves are getting cheap, any idea how good they are?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Sorry for the double post, but can't attach to a post already in the system.

Just found this pic from meatpimp, circa 1995. I was AI before some of y'all could watch Ren and Stimpy. :colbert:

(Note: ridiculous cars are not a new thing for me.)

That Scrambler is awesome and would be worth some serious coin right now. God dammit I want a Wrangler.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fake it till you make it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Even in mint condition that car is worth maybe 2.5k tops, those cars (BGs in general) just don't command much money and you wouldn't have made anything off of it even if it ran perfectly. Something tells me he's getting rid of it because of the knock, not because he needs the money.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I beg to differ, I've been on the BG forums long enough to know there's no way you'd get that much. Good thing you didn't get it expecting a profit because you'd be disappointed, it's not an MR2.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Looks like you have the hookup, then. Forward to me any MX3 GS 1.8L with under 100k miles, with no paintwork or damage, still titled to the original owner for under $3000 and I'll buy them! :D

I see them on Club Protege changing hands all over the country and the fanbois won't even pay close to 5k for one. You'd have a hard time finding some random person that knows nothing about them to pay that much. And the people that do know about them aren't going to pay it either. I'd say it would fetch 3k tops from a MX3/BG fanatic. That's if it's running perfect. I've seen a few sell around here in similar condition for around 2k.

I don't care how nice the paint is, it's still a 23 year old tarded up econobox that has no significant following.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I remember the supercharged Millenia being a complete nightmare for techs when I worked at Mazda. NA Millenias are alright, but the Miller cycle should be avoided at all costs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had a tech show me one he had taken apart, because I had never heard more crying than when one of them came in, (besides maybe the RX8's) so I was curious what the fuss was all about.

:stare: pretty much sums it up

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have fun doing any basic maintenance.

Spark plug replacement is an ordeal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep my '96 Camry's interior is worlds better than our '06 HHR.....Well it's just a better car overall frankly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SouthsideSaint posted:

Wooh best gen camry buddy. Also the HHR is garbage in general. But in thread related news this thing needs some SS wheels

Our HHR has been a very reliable, solid car. I blew out the rear shocks loading it with tons of poo poo so now it drives like a horse buggy, and it eats end links, but it's not horrible really. It's just that a '96 Camry is better :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 22, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Trailblazer seems like an alright cheap family cruiser, but I'd rather have a Panther if I was gonna go with a body on frame RWD cruiser.

I'm biased though because I've owned two :3:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

For a cruiser, yeah, I'd rather have a Panther.

1996+ Panthers aren't rated to tow much though.

Thanks to the stupid watts link suspension :colbert:

I wonder if the tradeoff is worth it, without the watts Panthers would probably be decent for towing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

I don't understand why a watt's linkage would affect tow capacity? Unless the prior design had no panhard rod etc, just very beefy primary links?

I suppose the stock links are weak and can't handle it, but you can get much stronger aftermarket links from ADTR and probably be able to double the stock towing capacity.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

in 1998 the Panther went to a watts link rear end and the rating went from 5000 to 2000. The stock control arms look weak as hell too, I honestly wouldn't want to push the limits on one unless I upgraded the watts links and control arms with stronger aftermarket stuff.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah looks totaled to me considering what the truck is worth. Hopefully they'll give you a decent pay out at least.

Didn't you just put new wheels and tires on it? Reminds me of when i put a bunch of money in maintenance into a Crown Vic only to have it totaled a few weeks later, I was pissed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's one of the many things I don't miss about living up north, gently caress deer indeed.

There's some deer in Florida, but they're tiny and way out in BFE.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Toyota Land Cruiser / Lexus LX4xx would work, but again, really tough to find in price/mileage matrix.

If you're willing to go south there seems to be a lot of the LX's down here. Around $10k the mileage is usually a bit high, but for a Lexus it's not a big deal as long as you find one in good condition.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I could do that for you.....Within reason of course :v:

I live in St.Pete, so if you search Pinellas county in the Tampa Bay area in CL that's my area.

Also use Lexus Drivers to search any VIN you want, if it was serviced at a Lexus dealer all the records will be available to you.

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

But to be honest if you found one anywhere down here with just a few owners and good records you're golden, just fly down and get it. Forget the miles, the former is what's important.

[edit] The closest one I found in your budget is in Orlando, but it doesn't look too bad for $8k. You could probably do better though.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5559432469.html

There were a bunch more available on CL when I was looking for a 430, they must go pretty quick.

[edit2] since autotrader links don't work for poo poo, copy and paste these minus the [url] of course:

[url]http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=33710&endYear=2017&modelCode1=LX_MODELS&showcaseOwnerId=96750&makeCode1=LEXUS&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=13000&showcaseListingId=427472610&mmt=[LEXUS[][LX_MODELS[]]]&listingId=421421246&Log=0

[url]http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=33710&endYear=2017&modelCode1=LX_MODELS&showcaseOwnerId=96750&makeCode1=LEXUS&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=13000&showcaseListingId=427472610&mmt=[LEXUS[][LX_MODELS[]]]&listingId=373791721&Log=0

[url]http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=33710&endYear=2017&modelCode1=LX_MODELS&showcaseOwnerId=96750&makeCode1=LEXUS&startYear=1981&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=13000&showcaseListingId=427472610&mmt=[LEXUS[][LX_MODELS[]]]&listingId=427809036&Log=0

But I think you get the idea, search autotrader there are a bunch of them in this state.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 14, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Plenty down here, although not many AWD....What's wrong with 2WD? With some good tires and traction control it should be fine in the winter right? Also I think you're a bit hung up on the mileage, I don't think you're gonna get the mileage you want for your budget.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/cto/5562511789.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5599580953.html

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/5606401979.html

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 27, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh I see. Well if you want one without rust you know where to come, the drive back would be nothing in an Escalade.

Also the rich people down here (and there's lots of them) take really good care of their luxury cars, it's pretty easy to find immaculate high mileage examples on the coasts of Florida.

[edit] lol west coast customs, bet that was a great "investment"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Was curious about the Denali so I checked.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/5568837533.html

Lotta truck right there for the money.

• Locked thread