Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Cymbal Monkey posted:

How did it come back?
This is one of my favourite parts of the story of Absinthe. In the 1990s, a bright spark at BBH Spirits realised that Britain had never actually banned Absinthe, though everyone had just kind of assumed they had. So they started importing Czech absinth. This sparked interesting in absinthe the UK, which gradually lead to the repeal of bans throughout Europe in the early 2000's. Bootlegger producers legitimised themselves, and old recipes were slowly revived.
According to my aunt it never really went away here, when she was young in the 60s it was readily available in bars and stuff.

Val de Travers is a nice place.

There's a small music festival there every year with a bar that has all the local stuff, you can waltz up to it all night, plop down five bucks, say a number from 1-15 and try yet another delicious creation.

quote:

So I'll trip and see the green fairy?
I hate these conversations so much. Especially with people who will insist that they've "had the stuff with all the, whatdoyoucallit, thujone in it, like before it got regulated by the EU, I tripped my balls off man itwas crazy".

quote:

There's also "Bohemian absinth", which is a horrendous Czech concoction, these contain little to no fennel or anise and are basically just wormwood bitters. They're bullshit, taste awful and no one should ever sully their pallet with such swill. I'll be talking more about the Czech's place in absinthe history later.
I remember going to a big festival in Hungary when I was younger, one of the bars there had "absinthe". It was bright green and came in a shot glass. When I asked the guy for some water to mix it with he got really squeamish, doubly so after the stuff didn't cloud up at all. It was literally vodka with green food flavoring. gently caress you Eastern Europe.

This is my favorite for keeping around the house, it's mellow and well-rounded and on the low end when it comes to alcohol content (still above 50%).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread