Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you don't get it

all we want is for the ability to degrade our phone to the operating system version it was designed to run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this iphone 4 shipped with ios6 and 8gb ram

when it was released it had 16 minimum and iOS 5

imagine how rocket ship that would have been

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

i agree with echi.

its not that I cant buy a new phone, im going to do that next week when i go into the big bad city of Napier, but its that I cannot downgrade my operating system if I want to. Forcing me to buy a new phone. Why do you have to buy a new phone every 12/24 months? THis lovely macbook im typing this on is 5 years old and works fine. Its left on 24/7 and is used 4,5,6, hell maybe even 8 hours a day by multiple users and still works fine

but my 3 year old phone cant handle poo poo.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
force being the operative word

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

no third party apps would work so lol at downgrading

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

rubbish.

this ipod touch i am holding now has ios6 and it has plenty of working 3rd party apps.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
the core 2 duo in your computer is about 1/2 to 2/3 the performance as the modern skylake or something, or the modern processor is like 50-100% faster

the a5 in the 4s is ~11x slower than the modern a9, or the modern processor is 1100% faster

website, apps and everything has advanced with more fancy features or graphics and whatnot because they are designed with something more modern in mind

lol if you still expect them to perform as well on your outdated hardware

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

thats not the point, I can downgrade this macbook fairly easily (although I haven't looked into Captain whatever) but I can happily sit on Snow Lep or Lion if I want. Keeps the laptop usable.

I dont have that option on my iPhone 4s because the operating system is a piece of poo poo.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankfully the App Store lets you install the oldest version of the app that works on your iOS

as in, install the version of the app that was designed with the hardware in mind

basically, if you guys are among the argument that when the iPhone 4 came out it was already slow and underperformong with the apps around at the time, I would buy it, but you're comparing apples with oranges

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
imagine if you are using a pentium 3 in the year 2015 because that's how big of a performance gap there is

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
didn't someone already posted the instruction for you to downgrade your OS multiple times??

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

idk maybe

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

basically, if you guys are among the argument that when the iPhone 4 came out it was already slow and underperformong with the apps around at the time, I would buy it, but you're comparing apples with oranges
technically it's slow and underperforming the day it's released, much like how the latest 6s is still slow and underperforming right now compare to current desktop computers

I reckon we need another few years to get the mobile soc to be fast as desktop CPUs, which is truly at the point of 'good enough' for most people for a few years at a time

so you can wait for like 3-5 years before buying an iPhone that will last you few more years with truly good enough performance

or upgrade every year and enjoy the advancement each year on a device you use more than anything else every day

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 1, 2015

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Yeah but Im not comparing my phone with my desktop like for like, other than I can downgrade or upgrade the OS on my macbook fairly easily. My lovely iPhone (named poo poo Phone), can only upgrade.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

downggraded devicies present a securitiy risk

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if this uspetes u then buy andorid because Google don't givie a poo poo if ur device is easily owned

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

just get an android that's like one gen old for $50 because androids have next to zero resale value

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I like this 4s. right size. good features. now has a pos os

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Yeah but Im not comparing my phone with my desktop like for like, other than I can downgrade or upgrade the OS on my macbook fairly easily. My lovely iPhone (named poo poo Phone), can only upgrade.

you are complaining on how slow your 4s is, and like the early days of computers, arm based mobile chips are still advancing quite a lot, same goes with mobile software

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

more specifically he's complaining in the same way that someone who ran windows xp in 2002 with a lovely p4 and 256 MB of ram and found it "acceptable" now complains the same system running windows 7 runs like poo poo

except hes too stupid to realize that if he reverted that system to xp and tried to load a modern webpage the browser would probably poo poo itself

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

he

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my phone froze for about 5 minutes and was unresponsive because I treid to isntall a new app

a new iphone 4 running ios 5 would not have

we're not expecting it to do anythig other than exactly what it could do on day one

and so far NO T A SINGLE PERSON has told us how to fix it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

reminder that echipenis has never visited the largest city in his tiny country in his entire adult life

ive been to auckland mate :smug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ive terchnicallyt been there, i just have no interest in exploring the city

imagine if i said

"hey guys, i havent been to new york, london, rome, madrid, prague LA, san francisco, paris, miami, DC, amsterdam, berlin, cairo, budapest, bangkok, or syndey, BUT I HAVE BEEN TO AUCKLAND!!!!!"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

most people at least visit the largest/most important city in their country at least once in their life

its even easier when your country isnt even that big

only some sheep loving farmer would never visit the largest city in his tiny country

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the only reason you can reasonably give me to visit it thought is to essentially be able to say I have been there, to tick the box

from a actual city perspective, there is no reason to visit, nothing to see there at all

going there would literally take money out of my 'eventually buy another iphone' fund

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

more specifically he's complaining in the same way that someone who ran windows xp in 2002 with a lovely p4 and 256 MB of ram and found it "acceptable" now complains the same system running windows 7 runs like poo poo

except hes too stupid to realize that if he reverted that system to xp and tried to load a modern webpage the browser would probably poo poo itself
"but they load MySpace and xanga just fine???"

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I don't like Auckland it's all kinds of hosed up up there

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

auckland was cool for the 18 hours in total i spent there

it wasnt new years so i dunno wtf the fireworks were for

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

was it early November by chance?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

mid-late december

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

auckland was cool for the 18 hours in total i spent there

virtually any other city would have been cooler

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

virtually any other city would have been cooler

i met some kiwi dudes that got drunk with me and then took me to an "underground" dance place that didn't close until sunrise

and then i had to get up early to catch my bus up north

you guys have nice cheap buses, good on ya

nice country

except for the sheep loving

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i would ONLY visit auckland for the purposes of meeting people. as a city its a second rate wannabe sydney. but worse. and traffic is poo poo, and colder. and perhaps you dont understand the res tof the country hates auckland

that was a sign at a rugby game. it got all sorts of praise

and you cant compare. if you lived in america, it would make sense to vist NYC or LA, the are world cities, they have reasoins to visit. there are things you can do and see things there you cant anywehere else

auckland HAS NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO OFFER, compared to visiting basically anywhere else

nz is good coz of our scenery. auckland doesnt even have that. i have every reason in the world to visit every other place in the country

but the biggest city in this country. laugh my loving rear end off mate

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im not suggesting you take a vacation to auckland echi

im suggesting that as a grown adult man who lives in a tiny country, having never had any reason whatsoever to visit

be it for professional or pleasure reasons

in your entire life, is very strange and worthy of being made fun of

its the largest city and the financial/business centre of your sheep loving nation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if I had never been to wellington for those reasons you could laugh, but I have done that. wellington is the city that matters

lets put it another way - auckland doesnt even have an apple store

slso dude that was harsh. i feel like poo poo thanks

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

echinopsis posted:

my phone froze for about 5 minutes and was unresponsive because I treid to isntall a new app

a new iphone 4 running ios 5 would not have

we're not expecting it to do anythig other than exactly what it could do on day one

and so far NO T A SINGLE PERSON has told us how to fix it

buy an andorid

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Apple v clealrly make it impossibilewto downgrade ur device. if that's a thing u don't like then buy a device that lets u downgrade. imwsorry if u made a pruchase decision u now regret bcos of ur ignorance

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

slso dude that was harsh. i feel like poo poo thanks

its just tough love brotha :glomp:

• Locked thread