Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Push mail with activesync works fine for me :confused:

maybe i just need to delete and re add my account, again, as i have to do with increasing frequency since ios8. it works fine on everything else, just mail.app seems to poo poo itself in new and exciting ways every release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

infernal machines posted:

welcome to the new apple

lol its not new that people bitch about a new OS making their iphone slower. lest we forget when people freaked out about their iphone 3g being slow after installing ios 4

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

maybe i just need to delete and re add my account, again, as i have to do with increasing frequency since ios8. it works fine on everything else, just mail.app seems to poo poo itself in new and exciting ways every release

also make sure that icloud hasn't stopped synching because that's also something it will do and not tell you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Last Chance posted:

lol its not new that people bitch about a new OS making their iphone slower. lest we forget when people freaked out about their iphone 3g being slow after installing ios 4

i'm bitching about the new os being a half formed turd sharted into my otherwise functional phone. i can't speak for the farmer or the pill pusher of OZ

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
get an anroid? they never get updates

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

my $1300 4 year old phone

glad youre slowly making progress

now update to ios 9.0.2

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
two main reasons

one is security, it used to be that you can downgrade freely to the point where people just downgraded their iphone to the older firmware so they can jailbreak and run unsigned code on the older version with known exploits
now imagine if your 4s was stolen and the thief can downgrade to a version pre-findmyiphone to wipe/activate and resell your stuff, or just downgrade without wiping and steal all of your data

the other reason is to prevent idiots bricking their phones, because there are exploits that existed in bootrom and to patch those exploits it meant that you need to also update the bootrom, now guess what happens when you downgrade your iphone to an older ios while your bootrom has been updated already?

there used to be ton of idiots that did the shsh/ecid saving and downgraded their phone with the mitm/replay attack and ended up with a bricked phone due to the bootrom issue, and this isn't the sort of brick that you can just shift-restore to recover since the whole boot system is hosed include the drivers/part that need to be loaded in order for your to connect to your computer

basically users are always idiots and gas thread ban op

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

DaNzA posted:

basically moo cow is an idiot and gas thread ban op

burning swine
May 26, 2004

welcome to the new apple

lol nothing new about any of this

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

why let me "upgrade" though on my awesome form poo poo phone

?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

echinopsis posted:

my wife has decide to get into burlesque

post pics of her burlesquin

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

how is this thread still open? I told you how to downgrade. jailbreak then use odysseus

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

op just upgrade. who cares.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
durrrrrr just upgrade op! Consign that $1300 chunk of rare earth minerals and other non-sustainable resources to the rubbish bin and purchase another phone! Be a wasteful first world slug, like me.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

DaNzA posted:

two main reasons

one is security, it used to be that you can downgrade freely to the point where people just downgraded their iphone to the older firmware so they can jailbreak and run unsigned code on the older version with known exploits
now imagine if your 4s was stolen and the thief can downgrade to a version pre-findmyiphone to wipe/activate and resell your stuff, or just downgrade without wiping and steal all of your data

the other reason is to prevent idiots bricking their phones, because there are exploits that existed in bootrom and to patch those exploits it meant that you need to also update the bootrom, now guess what happens when you downgrade your iphone to an older ios while your bootrom has been updated already?

there used to be ton of idiots that did the shsh/ecid saving and downgraded their phone with the mitm/replay attack and ended up with a bricked phone due to the bootrom issue, and this isn't the sort of brick that you can just shift-restore to recover since the whole boot system is hosed include the drivers/part that need to be loaded in order for your to connect to your computer

it's impossible for a company with multi billion dollar profit margins to backport security patches so that 3 year old hardware remains usable.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Amethyst posted:

it's impossible for a company with multi billion dollar profit margins to backport security patches so that 3 year old hardware remains usable.

depending on the patch, it might not be worth it. easier just to get everyone on the latest platform. why complicate it?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Last Chance posted:

depending on the patch, it might not be worth it. easier just to get everyone on the latest platform. why complicate it?

because the new platform runs like poo poo, by all accounts. obviously.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
youre the blue stymie right?

sure they can back port the security patch and split the versions but they probably felt that it's better to unify the users with the latest version

also it's kinda weird that people keep going on with the 'newer version is slower' when things like this is true at least with ios9

faster browsing because of more optimized codes

better battery

along with the latest security updates etc.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

sweet benchmarks man. obviously the best measure for overall usability is how many miliseconds it takes for a page to load, and not how many full seconds it takes for say, the keyboard to recognize basic input, or how long it takes to load the loving home screen

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

safari and other apps on my crusty iPad 3 and backup iPhone 4s run at noticeably higher framerates in iOS 9 than they did in iOS 8.

also safari is much more snappy about typing addresses/searches suggestions than it was with ios 8 on both devices. app start up time is slow, but they do work better.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DaNzA posted:

two main reasons

sounds like you hate freedom

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

DaNzA posted:

sure they can back port the security patch and split the versions but they probably felt that it's better to unify the users with the latest version

also it's kinda weird that people keep going on with the 'newer version is slower' when things like this is true at least with ios9

better battery

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
this is why suggesting to kill yourself should still be allowed

pram
Jun 10, 2001

gargle chome posted:

this is why suggesting to kill yourself should still be allowed

agreed

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

nah there's more to life than a phone, ama
zing

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

DaNzA posted:

better battery

stats and data. they can tell you anything

like, iOS 8 was supposed to be OK on iPhone 4s hence why it was rolled out or to practically brick a phone until you buy a new one.

I ain't falli for that again. also, my phone is normal sized not super huge thigh sized phone.

how easy is it to migrate from photos.app to picasa/outlook photos for Windows! ?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugmrgw:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I really want picture in picture on my iPhone 4s that cost $1300 3 years ago

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL this is some super DYP poo poo in here

iOS 9 is noticeably faster and snappier than iOS 8.

:supaburn: "OH NOES! Apple is trying to force me to upgrade to a new phone by continuing to support their older phones!" :supaburn:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I'd hardly call what I'm experiencing "support", fellow goon.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's pretty disingenuous to call pushing out increasingly poor os releases "supporting" a product

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
actually ios 9 is pretty great

H T H

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you heard it here first: comic sans = "pretty great"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

you heard it here first: comic sans = "pretty great"

uh, what?

oh, i get it. "San Francisco" = "Comic Sans" so funnay :what:

except the new font is miles ahead of helvetica in terms of legibility and looks v nice as well.

i was a super harsh critic of iOS 7, but iOS 9 is pretty great.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Doc Block posted:

LOL this is some super DYP poo poo in here

you're the one defending your favourite corporation, buddy

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i long for the days when apple fans could actually discern good design from bad, especially when it came to things like fonts/kerning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i too was having trouble reading helvetica

• Locked thread