Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

ukle posted:

The Linux server was released the same time as the Windows one. Issue is with it in order to run it headless (i.e. command line) you first need to set it up on a machine with a GUI as you can't setup all the options via the command line. There is a guide how to do it all via steamcmd on the wurm wiki.

This is terrifyingly bad because servers are suppsoed to be bloody well headless ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orty
May 14, 2007

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

The land bridge village was Bearcatraz - it was probably the most labor-intensive megaproject we ever undertook, and the burnout from it was horrible.

So many carts of dirt, I remember moving dirt around for AGES. I have no clue how I didn't burn out since all I did that time around was dig and drag a cart around. Looking at the top view does not give justice to how much dirt was removed to make that thing, all that barren rock was once a hill.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Biowarfare posted:

This is terrifyingly bad because servers are suppsoed to be bloody well headless ffs

Yeah, I wish I could say I've never encountered that scenario before. If you can figure out where the server config is saved, you might be able to get away with setting up the server on Windows and then copying the config over.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Hmm, gave this a try in the default Adventure world yesterday.. And the grind is even worse than I remembered from years ago. Having to stand in front of a wall and having to click Mine->Tunnel 40 times in a row (with small breaks because of stamina), I am not sure I will be able to bear that for a long time. We'll see!

E: I actually used the icon later so it wasn't as bad as I described.. No stamina loss would definitely help a lot though.

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 22, 2015

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
I haven't dug into things a lot yet, but it looks like lots of things are configurable. Things I'd like to see on an "official goon server":

• Non-fighting actions don't consume stamina (mining, digging, etc - just a pointless delay tactic imo)
  • Dirt weighs practically nothing (terraforming is one of the better parts, let's make it suck a little less)
  • Somewhat high starting skill values (50+?) and a really high skill gain (looks like servers default to 3x which is still grindy as hell).
  • I think I had other ideas but I've forgotten them now.

Feel free to add more suggestions! Also the #wurmgoons IRC channel on SynIRC still exists because I was too lazy to ever shut it down so feel free to come hang out there.

E: Also of note you can now keybind things like "mine tunnel" so instead of clicking the mouse a bunch you mash a keyboard key slightly less.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wuntvor posted:

Hmm, gave this a try in the default Adventure world yesterday.. And the grind is even worse than I remembered from years ago. Having to stand in front of a wall and having to click Mine->Tunnel 40 times in a row (with small breaks because of stamina), I am not sure I will be able to bear that for a long time. We'll see!

E: I actually used the icon later so it wasn't as bad as I described.. No stamina loss would definitely help a lot though.

Adventure mode is like a slightly less grindy Wurm Online with preset villages and NPCs. Creative mode lets you set a LOT of variables. Skill gain, starting skill, starting money, stamina use, and even the amount of "hits" to mine a place out and all kinds of other things I haven't looked closely at.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
Tried searching for "bearpit" couldn't find it :(

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There's been some trouble with the map not loading correctly, Ziggy is working on it as we speak.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Probably checking this out tonight, ever since seeing this thread the other day I've been pestering my wife by reminiscing about Wurm.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

conversation piece posted:

Tried searching for "bearpit" couldn't find it :(

Sorry about that, I tried out the map I posted earlier in the thread and it sucked, I made the forests too dense and the landscape feature scaling was off so I found a modified version of Budda's map generator that's better at making terraced hills and mountains with lots of small cliffs and ramps, but it looks like a few steps in the tree biome generation phase would cause the map to get hosed up in a way that caused the server to replace it with a flat empty rock plain. I ended up having to make several maps and add a single tree type at a time until I found the buggy ones, and then I'd tweak their parameters slightly until they resulted in a working map. This was a giant pain in the rear end but it appears to be working now and it looks a lot nicer and easier to build on than the previous map.

edit: oh gently caress now it's winter and everything is covered in snow. I'll look for a way to change the seasons but that might require a mod or dropping in new textures to your local Wurm Unlimited/WurmLauncher/packs/graphics.jar file. Also here's a map dump, you can replace gui/testMaps/Freedom.png in your local graphics.jar with this map instead to have it display in-game on your map window:

Also the default spawn point is just south of that island with the clay patch near the middle of the north coast

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 22, 2015

Orty
May 14, 2007

Server off to a great start!

Some fun with spawn points and sharks

Also some fun with dirt! (Whats Wurm Online without lots of digging?)

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Just had a look around Bearpit/Bearghazi. Super excited to see what happens with regards to this. I kind of like the winter theme. =)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What is the best way to store gulasch/other food items?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What is the best way to store gulasch/other food items?

Raw food items can be kept in food storage bins for a long time, but prepared foods decay quickly by design. During Christmas I think you can giftwrap meals to make them last longer but I'm not sure. Also if you sacrifice a rare item to your deity (requires like 10 faith) your food/water/nutrition bars will be restored completely, so rare rockshards or iron lumps are useful to hoard away like they're meal tickets.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
I have found the bearpit!

I'm digging tunnels

I found a gold vein, its to the far left, left of the long hall

Iron and lead in the long hall on the far left

Found some slate further down the tunnel, mining through it because I can

[01:41:44] The troll meat tastes so good you almost feel like singing.

I gave up on mining through the slate. Turns out it takes a solid 3 minutes to get to the end of the tunnel now

conversation piece fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 23, 2015

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Have we found any tar or moss near Bearghazi yet?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Lor posted:

Have we found any tar or moss near Bearghazi yet?

There's a tar patch NE of town about 150 tiles away - take the sailboat along the coast NE until you pass the island with clay, then keep going past a little peninsula and another coastal clay patch, and then it should be on your right just a little bit into the forest. You can also get tar from charcoal piles, making them with oak or walnut wood will give extra resources and extra QL respectively.

Found some slate further down the tunnel, mining through it because I can

[01:41:44] The troll meat tastes so good you almost feel like singing.

I gave up on mining through the slate. Turns out it takes a solid 3 minutes to get to the end of the tunnel now

Yeah ore and special rock veins have a random ore count between 1 and 10000 so it's not feasible to destroy them without overnight macros or GM powers. Each tile in this map has about a 92% chance of being rock and I think that's high enough that people can make long tunnels easily but lemme know if it's still too low. Seaman is working on a series of Viet Cong tunnels so we could link our settlement deeds with secret underground highways. Cave tunnels have a chance of collapsing over time unless you reinforce them which normally takes an unbelievable amount of bitchwork but I can GM supports on them quickly once they're mined out

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 23, 2015

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
Found an annoying UI glitch in which the vertical mining directions aren't shown, but "mine" goes downwards regardless. In other words, sorry bout the unlevel tunnel on the right

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

I think it's still around to this day on Chaos server, although I'd have to ask around to confirm that. Here's what Tora Beara looked like before and after the pubbies took it over.

That's... Mithril Hall? :stare: Guess I just learned the actual history behind the first village I joined. Figures that Tonygreen didn't actually found it himself. Did you guys make the boat tunnel too (from the coast at the base of the mountain, all the way to the top), or was that Tony's work like he claimed?

e: And yeah, it's still 'around', but there's no deed and no-one has lived there in years. I've made decent progress on a road to it from the south, but it's still pretty drat hard to get to.

Telarra fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 23, 2015

Mr. Torrance
Sep 16, 2006
Have you ever thought about MY RESPONSIBILITIES?
I've been playing around on the Wyvern PVE server and it seems pretty cool, it has a pretty steady population and some pretty beefy hardware. It had 175 players when I logged on earlier.

They're launching their PVP server tomorrow, might be worth a look. It will be connected to the PVE server like Wurm Online and accessible by boat/portal it seems.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I used to play Wurm during Bearback Mountain as BusterBrown. I'm more than excited for this release. I'm gonna putz around on the goon server but it would be cool if someone w/ gm powers could stockpile some rare materials at the spawn, like tar, ore, etc. just at the start of this thing.

edit: can someone add me to the settlement?

edit2: please gm a stockpile of seeds

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 24, 2015

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I can't drop this loving tent and it is annoying me.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Mr. Torrance posted:

I've been playing around on the Wyvern PVE server and it seems pretty cool, it has a pretty steady population and some pretty beefy hardware. It had 175 players when I logged on earlier.

They're launching their PVP server tomorrow, might be worth a look. It will be connected to the PVE server like Wurm Online and accessible by boat/portal it seems.

What kind of settings do they have on Wyvern? I figured the private goon server would mostly just be a laboratory and vanity project showcase and so any PvP or griefing would be done best on a large public server.

Also I made some storage bins and filled them with seeds, and it looks like with the current settings crops are ready to harvest in about a day. Also I think tents can only be dropped in kingdom territory, next time I reset the server I'll change it to a home server so it has kingdom territory over the whole map.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

The little thrown-together goon village is coming along nicely. Wish I had taken a screenshot 24 hours ago when it was just a bit of packed earth on the coastline.

My (very humble and totally overshadowed now by the other dwellings but I'm still proud of it damnit) shack and field and charcoal pits:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
What the hell is low fantasy?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Low/high refers to how big a role magic plays in the setting. WoW and DnD are high fantasy, with wizards around every corner, while LotR is low.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Moddington posted:

That's... Mithril Hall? :stare: Guess I just learned the actual history behind the first village I joined. Figures that Tonygreen didn't actually found it himself. Did you guys make the boat tunnel too (from the coast at the base of the mountain, all the way to the top), or was that Tony's work like he claimed?

e: And yeah, it's still 'around', but there's no deed and no-one has lived there in years. I've made decent progress on a road to it from the south, but it's still pretty drat hard to get to.

Yeah Tonygreen was a really active Mol-Rehan guy right? Makes sense that he would have taken it over. We abandoned Tora Beara a few months before boats were implemented I think, so I don't think we made a boat tunnel, but Aquarium (with math) and Dreaddor (with macros) did make a working wellevator after a few tries that was intended as a tactical jumpchute to cut off an enemy retreat or to quickly return to town from the ocean below, back when you didn't take drowning damage. It's possible that Tonygreen converted one of those tunnels into his boat tunnel, and if so then it might contain a working wellevator still - it would be the tile close to land with the extremely high slope that is rendered like a nearly vertical and extremely stretched out texture.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
Is there any way to remove the water from the mine so that we can drive the carts down there?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there any way to remove the water from the mine so that we can drive the carts down there?

Not that I'm aware of. I really dislike the water system in this game but I imagine it would take a LOT of effort to change the spaghetti code, assuming it could be changed at all. We can always relocate the village later/found a mining village somewhere else.

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender

Nope. The best option would be to mine up out of the water further in the caves and make a second dry entrance. Second best would be to make a mine boat and use that for ferrying. WRONG SEE NEXT POST

Aquarium of Lies fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 24, 2015

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Yeah Tonygreen was a really active Mol-Rehan guy right? Makes sense that he would have taken it over. We abandoned Tora Beara a few months before boats were implemented I think, so I don't think we made a boat tunnel, but Aquarium (with math) and Dreaddor (with macros) did make a working wellevator after a few tries that was intended as a tactical jumpchute to cut off an enemy retreat or to quickly return to town from the ocean below, back when you didn't take drowning damage. It's possible that Tonygreen converted one of those tunnels into his boat tunnel, and if so then it might contain a working wellevator still - it would be the tile close to land with the extremely high slope that is rendered like a nearly vertical and extremely stretched out texture.

Ah, cool. Well, wellevators no longer work, ever since they changed the falling code a couple years back. (This also made bounce-pits non-lethal)

You can mix (sand + clay = mortar) + (water + ash = lye) = concrete to raise tile corners inside caves (and also on surface rock), to get the floor above sea level.

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie

she/her
Taco Defender

Moddington posted:

You can mix (sand + clay = mortar) + (water + ash = lye) = concrete to raise tile corners inside caves (and also on surface rock), to get the floor above sea level.

:aaaaa:

I should stop answering questions because it's been so long that I'll be wrong about everything.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I mined upward on one of the left tunnels. If we're going to raise the mines to that level, we need a bunch of burning piles for ash and a large expedition to Clay Island.

Or we could just say gently caress it and deal with the water!

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
I can raise the mine floors up quickly with GM powers but I need help with raising the ceiling level for any tiles already mined. Also there should be loads of concrete still laying around the mine entrance

eating_instructions
Oct 25, 2005
1) Twist it. 2) Lick the cream. 3) Dunk it in the milk? 4) AGGHHH IT BURNS!
I improved the quality of the small and large anvil in the middle of town. They're both up around 55 now.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
The winter season is over now in-game and it looks like we've got a small but steady turnout on the private server, I've counted 16 unique players so far. I restarted the server recently to fix an issue where you could only plan a settlement after placing a guard tower, also PvP is enabled for now but will probably change in the future while I experiment with stuff. The main settlement area is starting to look developed now, and seems to be taking on a port theme with a few small piers and harbors and a warehouse filled with crates. Unique creatures have also been spawned in now, and some of them can probably be soloed if you have a good mount and pet and a full set of high-end equipment.

I was trying to fix an issue where the bartender NPC was clipping through the floor and I tried killing and respawning him as a GM. Whenever a GM wizkills someone you get their heart as an item, and when I dropped the bartender heart it floated in midair while still beating. I stashed it in the apse of the church overlooking town and Aquarium added this lump of rare dirt as a suitable offering for the dirt gods. That's right, this game has rare dirt now.

Lager is building a graveyard next to the church but had some trouble finding enough corpses to fill it. But corpses are rarely in short demand for long in a goon village:

Here's a picture of the nearly complete kitchen, inn, and future finished good storage I built near the center of town with a skywalk. Ideally all the tall buildings in this town will be connected with a confusing mess of catwalks going in all directions like some kind of medieval Dr Seuss village:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Your ever present and ever ready ally, Bearbados, stands tall with you.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
If anyone wants to group up on Wyvern add me on steam.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Ah my favourite Medieval poverty simulator.

Is this going to be pretty stable in terms of engine changes and etc? I enjoy WURM and would love to have a singleplayer map going for months/years, but if it's like most sandbox games and map files become obsolete after a patch or two then maybe not.

Is the goon server really not that grindy? Will grab the game if dumb poo poo like mining is a bit quicker (As I enjoy that, not the 20s timers to swing though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

simosimo posted:

Ah my favourite Medieval poverty simulator.

Is this going to be pretty stable in terms of engine changes and etc? I enjoy WURM and would love to have a singleplayer map going for months/years, but if it's like most sandbox games and map files become obsolete after a patch or two then maybe not.

Is the goon server really not that grindy? Will grab the game if dumb poo poo like mining is a bit quicker (As I enjoy that, not the 20s timers to swing though)

I dont think mining timers have been that bad for a while now. Mine is 1.9s in WO now.

• Locked thread