Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Justin Tyme posted:

I imagine the old SA Wurm community is dead as all hell, but are any of you dudes interested in transitioning to Life is Feudal once the MMO opens up in a month or two? It started rough like 3 years ago but it's pretty polished and fleshed out now, and the MMO map is loving gigantic and supposedly runs really smoothly in the closed beta. I used to play a lot of Wurm with goons several years back and LIF is basically the Wurm concept (medieval sandbox) but done in a good engine with Mount and Blade combat without the fantasy elements, the only thing that is missing is horse-drawn carts, boats, and being able to build custom buildings. It's full PVP as well on a single server, any Wurm goons still around should look into it.

The two big things I didn't care for in LiF:YO was the giant pain in the rear end of mining and also the fact that I couldn't even interact with certain objects or buildings without a required skill.
Other things I hated was the skill tree that forced me to grind unrelated skills to get to the ones I wanted and the horrible ordeal of searching out good quality wood then slowly crawling back to the camp with it.

Have any of those been improved in the MMO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Depends posted:

The two big things I didn't care for in LiF:YO was the giant pain in the rear end of mining and also the fact that I couldn't even interact with certain objects or buildings without a required skill.
Other things I hated was the skill tree that forced me to grind unrelated skills to get to the ones I wanted and the horrible ordeal of searching out good quality wood then slowly crawling back to the camp with it.

Have any of those been improved in the MMO?

Unfortunately a lot of the skillgain stuff/interaction is the same, they added carts but they're still sorta slow until they add horse-drawn stuff. I'd agree Wurm has a better inventory UI and skill system and terraforming, but LIF blows it out of the water with combat and visuals. Horse drawn carts are like the #1 requested feature now and the devs have been working on it for awhile, that would relieve a lot of the time/effort stuff takes.

Some of the skillgain stuff also used to make no sense, such as needing to craft bows to raise bowcraft but needing to raise crossbow to be able to actually USE bows. They fixed some of that fortunately and armors are in their own categories but a lot of your complaints are still there on the crafting side.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Oh wow, LIF is actually going through with the MMO part? They're only a year off schedule but that might be worth making a new thread (in mmohmo).

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

Dracneir posted:

Two weeks of progress from the last screenshot:

Lot of surface mining going on to expand the plot which is why there's rock exposed. Still only a handful of us, anyone welcome to join if they want to check out the server.

I made the trek out there last night due to sheer boredom combined with not having played Wurm in ages and wanting to take a look around. As I expected though, the place is in shambles. RIP
Did you guys move to a different server or just suffer the inevitable fate of all Wurm players and towns to lose interest and fall to ruin?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Oh wow, LIF is actually going through with the MMO part? They're only a year off schedule but that might be worth making a new thread (in mmohmo).

Yeah, and against all odds from what I hear from others, it actually runs pretty well. It chugs a bit in large pvp battles but that's expected given its mount and blade style combat in an mmo. It looks gorgeous as well, and manages to do what wurm never got quite right (large rolling plains, rivers, and biomes). There are some places that look straight out of LOTR.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah, and against all odds from what I hear from others, it actually runs pretty well. It chugs a bit in large pvp battles but that's expected given its mount and blade style combat in an mmo. It looks gorgeous as well, and manages to do what wurm never got quite right (large rolling plains, rivers, and biomes). There are some places that look straight out of LOTR.

Any ETA on release?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

They're currently in the last phase of closed beta, supposedly open beta (and more importantly, no more server resets) starts this summer.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Confirmed about 6 active bmw goons wurming around

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE

Dreaddor posted:

I made the trek out there last night due to sheer boredom combined with not having played Wurm in ages and wanting to take a look around. As I expected though, the place is in shambles. RIP
Did you guys move to a different server or just suffer the inevitable fate of all Wurm players and towns to lose interest and fall to ruin?

The second one, though I can log on and invite you to the village if you want. I think I added enough to the deed it might still be up?

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Confirmed about 6 active bmw goons wurming around

Where abouts?

Dracneir posted:

The second one, though I can log on and invite you to the village if you want. I think I added enough to the deed it might still be up?

There was no deed up when I arrived but even if there were I wouldn't be interested in playing alone. I was hoping to find a small band of goons to play with, otherwise it would feel entirely pointless.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
I'm currently loving around on the Otherlands server. Secluded area surrounded on 3 sides by tall mountains. PvE only. Asciana in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Any goons still on this? If so, where?

• Locked thread