Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

It's incredibly well-known!

Then why didn't I know about it, hmm? :colbert:

(The answer is probably I am terrible and also mostly a Marvel kid.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm really posting this one because it's the first appearance of FACTOR-X, THE SHERLOCK HOLMES ROBOT

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When did covers stop having dialogue and basically a teaser on them?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mover posted:

I'm really posting this one because it's the first appearance of FACTOR-X, THE SHERLOCK HOLMES ROBOT

Idk man, maybe stop lying about being a superhero to your own brother?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I don't own too many singles except for some of my absolute favorite issues but I've started collecting some floppies just for their covers so I can swap them out of frames to display. What most of them have in common is that I can grab them really cheaply, so I don't have anything super iconic, but there are still countless eye-catching covers out there.

Here are some I've grabbed recently:

Can't go wrong with the classics.

I'm a sucker for high-contrast B&W covers.

Like so.

But color is rad too.

This one makes me smile every time I look at it.

I like the covers where Batman is struggling rather than being a shadowy badass. And look at those rats just trying to stay dry on their little bat raft. :3:

I don't have a copy of this one, it's worth a bit more than the others, but I think it's my favorite on my want list.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I've been planning to frame a couple of my floppies to hang in my office, and this is without a doubt my favorite one.

Sadly the story is nowhere near the level of the cover, but isn't that just always the case.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

RandallODim posted:

I've been planning to frame a couple of my floppies to hang in my office, and this is without a doubt my favorite one.

Sadly the story is nowhere near the level of the cover, but isn't that just always the case.
You gotta get the Punisher jetski cover. Or the one for G-Force, a stone-cold classic:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zoux posted:

When did covers stop having dialogue and basically a teaser on them?

I'm guessing they helped at news stands and went away when those stopped being so much of a thing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Marvel briefly tried to bring them back in the late 90s I think.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ror posted:

I don't have a copy of this one, it's worth a bit more than the others, but I think it's my favorite on my want list.

That reminds me, sometime I need to ask Steranko on twitter if on the left hand side of the cover is supposed to be a clock-man blowing his own brains out. Cause I can't unsee that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ror posted:

Can't go wrong with the classics.

Is this an homage to Miller's "No More Mister Nice Guy" Daredevil cover a straight rip off?

Also, whenever possible, can we credit the cover artist in the post? Because some of these are interesting and I'd like to find more examples from the artist.

HEre's one by someone named "Jock"

poo poo. Hope it's not too large.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 31, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Here's one by someone named "Jock"
Jock was the main interior artist for Snyder's Detective run (among other things like The Losers, Wytches, and he did most if not all the covers to Scalped), and has done a lot of movie concept work.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 31, 2015

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

redbackground posted:

Jock was the main interior artist for Snyder's Detective run (among other things like The Losers, Wytches, and he did most if not all the covers to Scalped), and has done a lot of movie concept work.

Cool. I never heard of him. My comic reading these days is limited to TPB's and I don't really keep up with the monthlies. I just thought that cover I posted was pretty awesome. I'll look into more stuff by Jock though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Cool. I never heard of him. My comic reading these days is limited to TPB's and I don't really keep up with the monthlies. I just thought that cover I posted was pretty awesome. I'll look into more stuff by Jock though.

Here's the trade http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Black-Mirror-Scott-Snyder/dp/1401232078 Which you should definitely pick up.
Half of the work is by him and the other half is by frickin' Francesco Francavilla.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

redbackground posted:

You gotta get the Punisher jetski cover. Or the one for G-Force, a stone-cold classic:

I think I actually have the jetski issue somewhere! I remember getting it at a fair for a buck or two and being deeply pleased with my purchase. Well, time to dig it out...

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

More superhero comics should place the reader in the role of a jetski rental service operator.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Yuko Shimizu's covers for The Unwritten were consistently great.

[

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Japanese volumes for One Punch Man have some fun ideas.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That's really clever, I can't think of a single book I've seen before that played with the shape for cover art like that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Michael Cho Marvel variants for february.
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/marvel-announces-michael-cho-variants/1100-154099/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Those own

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I want that All-New Wolverine cover as a poster.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

"Totally Awesome Hulk".

Have we just run out of good titles then?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cabbit posted:

"Totally Awesome Hulk".

No, because that book obviously got one.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Cabbit posted:

"Totally Awesome Hulk".

Amadeus Cho seems like the kind of guy who'd make for an "Awesome" hulk, over Incredible or Savage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I think the whole point of the book is that instead of cursed Banner shaking his fists at the sky it's Cho being excited to be a superhero, you know, like you actually would be irl.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

zoux posted:

Yeah I think the whole point of the book is that instead of cursed Banner shaking his fists at the sky it's Cho being excited to be a superhero, you know, like you actually would be irl.

Does he de-Hulk when he runs out of candy?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

DR. STRANGE: You're pretty tough, Dormammu. But let's see if you can stand up to my special attack. The Ancient One taught me this--it's called the "Kamehameha Wave"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Mover posted:

DR. STRANGE: You're pretty tough, Dormammu. But let's see if you can stand up to my special attack. The Ancient One taught me this--it's called the "Kamehameha Wave"

Oh don't act like you wouldn't read the poo poo out of that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Oh don't act like you wouldn't read the poo poo out of that.

I did, it was called Immortal Iron Fist.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'll take one of each of those, except maybe the Hulk one which looks creepy.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

One recent one from Michael del Mundo on Winter Soldier:

and one cool one from Allred on X-Statix:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
BB:WS would've been much more fun if it had been a space-sploitation pastiche like that cover implies.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Neat stuff in the new Feb 2016 DC solicitations
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/dc-comics-february-2016-covers-and-solicitations/1100-154211/

Superman: American Alien #4 cover by Ryan Sook

Batman '66 Meets The Man From UNCLE #3 cover by Mike Allred

Gotham Academy #15 cover by Helen Minjue Chen

Batgirl #49 cover by Babs Tarr

Batman #49 cover by Yanick Paquette

Survivor's Club #5 cover by Bill Sienkiewicz

The Sheriff of Babylon #3 cover by John Paul Leon

e: and there's neat stuff in the billion Batman/Ninja Turtles variants
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/17/19-retailer-exclusive-covers-for-batmanteenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-it-begins-with-neal-adams/

Mike Allred

Rafael Albuquerque

Gabriele Dell’Otto

Nick Dragotta

Cliff Chiang

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 17, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Noto variant for Vader Down.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
God dammit I love Phil Noto.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: and there's neat stuff in the billion Batman/Ninja Turtles variants

The who what now? Is this any good? Please tell me it's good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's not out yet,
December 9th.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

I do so love this one - Mon-El about to gently caress some poo poo up!

Here's a JLA homage to The Exorcist (that's Amanda Waller there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mover posted:

By the hoary hosts of Hadou Ken!

• Locked thread