Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

quote:

e: and there's neat stuff in the billion Batman/Ninja Turtles variants
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/17/19-retailer-exclusive-covers-for-batmanteenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-it-begins-with-neal-adams/

Nick Dragotta

Ha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Break out the Crayolas, y'all.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dcs-adult-coloring-book-variants-bring-out-our-inner-child

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Captain America #1 (1941)

Sam Wilson: Captain America #7 (2016)

Unfortunately their 'hand drawn' font ended up looking like The Simpsons font in white.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd feel bad about triple posting and not letting this thread die, except Marvel just unveiled a series of 'Mighty Men of Marvel" Beefcake variants.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/c2e2-mighty-men-of-marvel-take-over-julys-variants

Invincible Iron Man #11 - Dan Keown

Doctor Strange #19 – Erica Henderson

Deadpool #15 – Otto Schmidt

Captain America: Steve Rogers #13 – Stephanie Hans

Amazing Spider-Man #15 – Dan Panosian

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
David Aja owns

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I want sexy shirtless Dr. Strange as a poster. I would also accept sexy shirtless Spider-Man, of course.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I've been going through a lot of older issues on Marvel Unlimited recently and was hit by the strangeness of this old Sub-Mariner cover:

It's not even a particularly unusual or significant issue, and no other covers in the run do anything like this. Sub-Mariner #7, 1968.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mover posted:

I've been going through a lot of older issues on Marvel Unlimited recently and was hit by the strangeness of this old Sub-Mariner cover:

It's not even a particularly unusual or significant issue, and no other covers in the run do anything like this. Sub-Mariner #7, 1968.

There were a bunch of those covers across the whole Marvel line though.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Those enemy archers are terrible shots

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mover posted:

Namor's stopping Oswald!!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Regarding text on covers, I always liked this one:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sure he has home field advantage?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The position of those weird axe-heads and Moon Knight's hands made me read that cover as Moon Knight knocking out some powerful guitar riffs, at first.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Selachian posted:

I really like overbearing cover text.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Gaz-L posted:

Sure he has home field advantage?

He's actually in a subway dealing with homeless people and just thinks he's on the moon fighting moon-men.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I have no idea what's going on in IDW's Judge Dredd at the moment, but I love the covers I'm seeing.
Dorrow/Quitely style detail plus cute animals.

The previous miniseries had really neat stuff too.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Selachian posted:

When I was a wee lad, I had just finished the Armor Wars TPB and wanted to find some other Iron Man stories. I hit up the back issue bin at my LCS and found this one. I had to buy it because I was so taken by the cover.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Marvel comic tie-in for Transformers was supposed to be a 4-issue miniseries, for two months in 1984. It was popular enough that it lasted until 1991.

This was issue 5.

Over 30 years and three publishers later and it's still the most iconic cover in the franchise.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Phy posted:

The Marvel comic tie-in for Transformers was supposed to be a 4-issue miniseries, for two months in 1984. It was popular enough that it lasted until 1991.

This was issue 5.

Over 30 years and three publishers later and it's still the most iconic cover in the franchise.

Jeez-us. That's one of, if not the, first comics I ever bought.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ferrule posted:

Jeez-us. That's one of, if not the, first comics I ever bought.

Transformers #5 is the first non-Richie Rich comic I ever bought, off a newsstand called The Front Page. My parents were worried it might be too scary due to the cover art, but I told them I could handle it because I was SIX!

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Surprised I haven't seen this yet.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

I wish Hughes would do image variants.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phy posted:

This was issue 5.

Forget the franchise, I'd say it's one of the most iconic covers in American comics.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Gaz-L posted:

Forget the franchise, I'd say it's one of the most iconic covers in American comics.

What would qualify for that list? Spider-Man No More, Amazing Fantasy #15, Action Comics #1 and Wolverine #1 all come to mind right away, but what else would count?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RandallODim posted:

What would qualify for that list? Spider-Man No More, Amazing Fantasy #15, Action Comics #1 and Wolverine #1 all come to mind right away, but what else would count?

The black bagged Superman #75.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

RandallODim posted:

Captain America punching Hitler in the face, maybe Giant Size X-Men.

e: Oh, I came in here just to say the action figure variants of the Spider-Women covers are my favorite thing and I would buy all those figures if they were real. The newest one is Spider-Woman Hulkbuster.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 22, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like that they've gone turbo crazy with the AF variants instead of the bland ones we've been getting over the last two years.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

RandallODim posted:

Based on the number of times they've been imitated/parodied, I'd add Justice League #1 (the Giffen/DeMatteis one), Fantastic Four #1, and Uncanny X-Men #141 (the "Days of Future Past" one with Wolverine and Kitty in front of the big wanted poster).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ms. Marvel homaged the cover of that Supergirl #1 from the 90s. It's a recent one but I think it made a solid impression. I wouldn't be surprised to see other covers use it in the future.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

Travis343 posted:

Ms. Marvel homaged the cover of that Supergirl #1 from the 90s. It's a recent one but I think it made a solid impression. I wouldn't be surprised to see other covers use it in the future.
Spider-gwen already did. Hopefully they don't run it into the ground, but then, I never get tired of DoFP homages...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Justice League #1 is iconic enough that Transformers homaged it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Justice League #1 is iconic enough that Transformers homaged it.

JL #1 is probably in the top 5 homaged covers. There's a mind boggling number of tributes to it.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Superman #1 is probably up there, too, even if it's not quite as iconic as Action Comics #1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FoneBone posted:

Superman #1 is probably up there, too, even if it's not quite as iconic as Action Comics #1.

Crisis #8 gets quite a few as well. We should really start compiling an image directory of the homages.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CBR has a feature that updates every week there's a cover homage and hasn't stopped in 189 entries.
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2016/05/23/the-great-comic-book-cover-homage-streak-week-191/

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Larsen's Savage Dragon run is pretty deep, there's a few cool homages he's done over the years, homaging both his old work, and other classic covers.

Pretty sure that last one's also a Justice League homage but I'm not sure which issue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

CBR has a feature that updates every week there's a cover homage and hasn't stopped in 189 entries.
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2016/05/23/the-great-comic-book-cover-homage-streak-week-191/

They count homages to other mediums, though, like movie posters and album covers. The last 3-4 months were all the Marvel hip-hop covers.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There was a long running thread on Jim Valentino's message board on the image comics website where there were a TON of cover homages posted but I think it was deleted. There's a new thread (link here) but it doesn't do the original justice.

And speaking of, they also have a whole thread dedicated to Justice League Issue 1 swipes.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Gabriele Dell’Otto

Y'know, I've always thought Batman looked weird in sunlight, so it's neat that they managed to keep him in shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I have not seen one of my favorite cover artists here so I will post him. I think Tim Bradstreet has probably done at least as many bad covers as good. But his good ones knock it out of the park. You will know him from Scalped, Hellblazer and Ennis' Punisher Max.

I specifically love this picture. It's hard to explain unless you see it in glossy print. But there is something about the light and tones in it I adore. I picked up a book of his artwork and was very happy to see it in big size.

His method of posing models is a double edged sword, but when it works he can make what could be goofy look pretty drat badass.

On the subject of Ennis, Goran Parlov's covers for Fury Max were amazing

• Locked thread