Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The soundtrack is in loose .ogg files in the game folder, worth the 18 bucks by itself IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The game has easy set up for custom soundtracks, I've put basically the entire firefly soundtrack into the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How does this control on an XBox 360 gamepad, preferable to kb+m?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

How does this control on an XBox 360 gamepad, preferable to kb+m?

Yeah I think so.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FrancoFish posted:

The game has easy set up for custom soundtracks, I've put basically the entire firefly soundtrack into the game

Yeah, the soundtrack got old extremely fast for me, but with the launcher basically handing you the keys to the jukebox, I just pointed it at the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack and we're good to go with absolutely nothing to complain about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eiHtQUkmXY

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The developers are on record saying they're ok with mods, but have not made mod tools or any effort to make it easy to mod (focusing their efforts on development, not being lazy).

Man, I hope this thing eventually has mods. It's so solid as is, it'd be a shame for it not to be extended in a multitude of awful ways and a single delightful one.

edit: It is not making me hopeful for community mod organization that the official forums for the game are the Steam forums. Still, it's a pretty good diversion for the buck as-is.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 21, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

FrancoFish posted:

This is entirely the point. I was told by the devs that you can add all your own music to the file and it will play.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Wafflz posted:

The soundtrack is in loose .ogg files in the game folder, worth the 18 bucks by itself IMO.

For loving serious. I've been playing for about an hour now and I've been looking to get into fights because I just love blowing poo poo up to whisky-soaked country butt-metal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I keep getting distracted from the main story and now those missions are all specified as low difficulty because I have funneled all that side quest and trading into becoming a laser god. Mining lasers are uncharacteristically good, and I got laser broadsides from a drop from the main story that outclass anything that I could normally buy for that slot, even with its weakness against shields.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So is this game like Sid Meier's Space Pirates 2015?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I guess in a way? You go around in a ship killing poo poo and maybe trading, doing quests, but that's where the similarities end.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The trading is really vestigial. There's mining and commodity price fluctuation and ships with large holds, but the meat of the game is the combat and you'll probably regret bringing a merchant hull to the real missions.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Haha this moon is so tiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS1eQ9ywN_s

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
What's up with the distance measures in this game? A ship close enough to touch is like 1 sm away but a planet across the solar system is only like 7000 away.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Adam Bowen posted:

What's up with the distance measures in this game? A ship close enough to touch is like 1 sm away but a planet across the solar system is only like 7000 away.

Freelancer did the same thing, only it was KILOMETERS. A planet was 70 KM from another lol. Rule of Fun I guess?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

They're space meters. Just like there's space slaves, obtanium, and intellectual property by the ton.

Don't worry about it.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

This game is pretty fun. I've done the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack thing, and it makes the title screen the best screensaver of all time. It's like watching a never-ending Homeworld skirmish.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

can you change the soundtrack on PS4?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

can you change the soundtrack on PS4?

I can't find the game on PSN right now anyway. Might try the PC version instead since that's where the modding will be.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Adam Bowen posted:

Passed by a star that looks smaller than a moon, and the moon was about the size of two stadiums. When I approached the moon, I got the graphical equivalent of atmospheric friction burn waves on my space ship.

Curse you, you rebellious galaxy!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 21, 2015

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So somehow super early on I angered the Miltia, and things kept getting worse withg my turrets automatically firing on their fighters. Now they're completely surrounding a station I need to get to to move the mainline quest along, making it not possible for me to progress. Are there any options available to me to make the militia simmer down early on, or do I need to restart?

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Brackhar posted:

So somehow super early on I angered the Miltia, and things kept getting worse withg my turrets automatically firing on their fighters. Now they're completely surrounding a station I need to get to to move the mainline quest along, making it not possible for me to progress. Are there any options available to me to make the militia simmer down early on, or do I need to restart?

Not sure about specifically cooling off the milita (maybe go kill pirates like in the original Privateer?) but if you go to the Tactics menu from the pause screen you can set your turrets to only shoot your target, which should help keep it from getting any worse.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Brackhar posted:

Pick up mission board jobs that will increase their opinion of you? The early plot missions should give you plenty of rep with them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Any suggestions for dealing with the little fighters? I'm still in the starter corvette and they're doing surprising amounts of damage. I tried the flak guns, but apparently they just fire to the sides without aiming. My turrets do a decent job I guess, but I'm starting to get hit with bunches at a time and it hurts.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
EMP Flak disables fighters for a few seconds in a big-ish area. Laser turrets shred the gently caress out of most fighters.

Honestly just buy the next bigger ship for 40k or whatever it costs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Brackhar posted:

Are you sure they are angry? You need to kind of deliberately do it by taking missions, taunting them over comms, getting repeatedly caught with contraband, or taking out capital ships. Fighters are like -1 out of a scale of several hundred. I ask because they sometimes blockade stations, which make them hostile toward everyone regardless of standing.

If its a blockade, wait it out, or dive in if you think you can.

If they are truly angry and you can't survive dives in to stations, you can salvage it by going to an outsider affiliated station (seems to be permanent neutral ground and unrelated to Korian Outsiders?) and pick up militia contracts for standing boosts.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Any suggestions for dealing with the little fighters? I'm still in the starter corvette and they're doing surprising amounts of damage. I tried the flak guns, but apparently they just fire to the sides without aiming. My turrets do a decent job I guess, but I'm starting to get hit with bunches at a time and it hurts.
Have you bought new shields yet? Its a pretty beefy upgrade to Mk1 for only a few grand.

In general, bait them away from capital ships and try to get them grouped up on a vector, and use that to serpentine to spread damage between your sides and back/front. Broadsides have pretty deft auto aiming when in range and charged up, so don't neglect those when the serpentine lines you up.

Specifically, missile fighters are murder against even the Mk1 shields. Torpedo fighters are murder against Mk2 shields. I stuck cluster missiles in the third slot of the next cheapest hull set to lock-on only and use scan mode as a tactical targetting mode to murder stuff like that. In the meantime, deflectors are pretty great as a oh god torpedo button. You can also take manual control of a turret if your balls are made of brass.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 21, 2015

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I was getting ripped to shred by the little fighters. I found having the flak guns on my secondary helped a lot and that mining laser just destroyed them all.

As soon as I bumped my shields up to something other than the starting one I found the game get dramatically easier. They one I bought was only about 20,000~ too, not so much.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I hope there's space dancing

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this game is good

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm getting started in the 2nd solar system and stuff is just murdering me. I went back to the starting system to make a little more money and buy a bigger ship (4 turrets / 6 broadside) but the enemies in this place just melt my shields immediately.

What I really want is a point defense turret for shooting down missiles and torps.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Isn't there a super pricey subsystem for that?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I skipped the second ship and went straight to the one with the 4 turrets and 6 broadside slots. It heavy but oh boy is it a ton of fun. With two flak turrets, say goodbye enemy fighters.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This game is cool and good. And a lot of loving fun.

I haven't made it out of the first system or first ship yet but I find that beam turrets, flak secondaries, and the long-range broadsides have worked fairly well for me.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am almost 100% sure used equipment trades for its original purchase price, so don't feel like you need to skip upgrades, and definitely feel free to experiment with alternate loadouts. Although in the first system I am pretty sure just upgrading all your base equipment to at least Mk1 stuff of any sort makes you feel pretty awesome, and Mk2 stuff makes you outclass everything but the larger capital ships around.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Here's a guide I found for various ships:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbSj1DCj6Zs

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

One thing I don't like is that every ship but me can move on the y-axis, and that makes me feel like a big dummy that doesn't know how to fly up in space :saddowns:

Edit: Oh wait that's just the fighters, nvm

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Straight uncut pure strain good game here.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah this is like the first space combat game I actually like. For the dude who's also using the cowboy bebop ost how did you split it up into different categories?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I can't get over the soundtrack for this game, it is so much extremely my poo poo. Game is unpretentious and fun as hell too. I think I played it for about three hours last night and had a blast.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I do ok with the MkI/II Flak secondaries. Just lay on the shift key when fighters are around and keep your speed up (not hard) so that you fly by them and pepper them with flak all the time, and they go down without too much effort. I also had at least 1 scatter turret mounted at all times (on a topside slot, for the best coverage) and set it from "Any enemies" to "only fighters" via the Tactics menu if the ratio of fighters/gunships-to-larger ships was higher than usual. Later on once I bought the next tiered ship I added a swarm launcher and set that to fighters only all the time. It'll run out of ammo eventually but usually I was in the mopping up stages by that point and wasn't in much danger.

The really nice thing about the Flak secondaries -- they are a straight up missile killer, a la Galactica. Most missiles won't ever hit you if you keep the flak going and keep maneuvering.

e: also worth nothing that wasn't obvious to me immediately--you can also manually target missiles, either with broadsides (difficult), or better, by hitting one of the number keys to switch to one of your turrets, hopefully a scatter turret. Missiles basically die as soon as they take damage and with bigger ships that fire the slower moving torpedo-like ones that do fuckoff damage, its basically required as it makes it much safer to take them on.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
How does the Fault Detector work when mining? I've been using it to shoot asteroids with autolock on in the red spots after pulsing, but i've never gotten more resources than the ones listed in the asteroid when I scanned them?

• Locked thread