Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How's the exploration aspect of the game? A lot of cool stuff to see and do or is it more like X3 and it's just more places to buy and sell? If the former I'm going to have to pick this up because Basically Freelancer 2 But With Frigates is definitely my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HiroProtagonist posted:

The really nice thing about the Flak secondaries -- they are a straight up missile killer, a la Galactica. Most missiles won't ever hit you if you keep the flak going and keep maneuvering.

Is there a reason to ever not just hold down the secondary button and fire constantly?

For missile turrets, how does ammo work? Do you have to buy more ordnance the same way you have to buy ordnance for your secondary heat seekers?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Valiant Pudding posted:

How does the Fault Detector work when mining? I've been using it to shoot asteroids with autolock on in the red spots after pulsing, but i've never gotten more resources than the ones listed in the asteroid when I scanned them?
I think it guarantees the full load that comes up when scanning. If you don't, usually only 1 of each content listed pops out instead of the multiples listed in the scan.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is there a reason to ever not just hold down the secondary button and fire constantly?

For missile turrets, how does ammo work? Do you have to buy more ordnance the same way you have to buy ordnance for your secondary heat seekers?
Yep, counts as ordnance, refilled at stations or ordnance drops. Higher marks seems to have higher ammo counts. They are a bit overzealous by default, but I really like them set to lock on only as a this-must-die-now option.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You'll run out eventually but there are ordnance drops occasionally (maybe from enemies primarily armed with them, e.g. bombers/missile corvettes? idk). Needs a tractor beam natch, but that should be on your ship always past a certain point in the story when you're required to get one anyway.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Freelancer 2 But With Frigates.

It is this in every way that matters, and vastly a better game in every other way.

I'm also finding Unknown Hinson to make for wicked ambient tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGVfW7i6Qyo

Shaquin fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 21, 2015

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Requoting myself because this might get missed at the end of the last page and I slapped my forehead at how long it took me to realize it.

HiroProtagonist posted:

The really nice thing about the Flak secondaries -- they are a straight up missile killer, a la Galactica. Most missiles won't ever hit you if you keep the flak going and keep maneuvering.

e: also worth nothing that wasn't obvious to me immediately--you can also manually target missiles, either with broadsides (difficult), or better, by hitting one of the number keys to switch to one of your turrets, hopefully a scatter turret. Missiles basically die as soon as they take damage and with bigger ships that fire the slower moving torpedo-like ones that do fuckoff damage, its basically required as it makes it much safer to take them on.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does this space game fall into the same trap as Elite Dangerous where the mechanics are great but there's no reason to do anything except to get bigger numbers, or are there goals the game wants you to achieve?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shaquin posted:

It is this in every way that matters, and vastly a better game in every other way.

I'm also finding Unknown Hinson to make for wicked ambient tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGVfW7i6Qyo

And sold!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pierson posted:

Does this space game fall into the same trap as Elite Dangerous where the mechanics are great but there's no reason to do anything except to get bigger numbers, or are there goals the game wants you to achieve?
There's a main storyline, but you probably need to come at the game with a healthy amount of just wanting to put bigger guns on your space barge.

Thinking about a jokey response to this made me realize the biggest omission is vanity upgrades. I really want to buy space rims for my space Caddy now :(

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DrManiac posted:

Yeah this is like the first space combat game I actually like. For the dude who's also using the cowboy bebop ost how did you split it up into different categories?

Make folders for each category (combat, ambient, etc) and point the game at said folders. Point the combat category at a folder for instance and it will randomly play any tracks in that folder when combat starts.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

FrancoFish posted:

Make folders for each category (combat, ambient, etc) and point the game at said folders. Point the combat category at a folder for instance and it will randomly play any tracks in that folder when combat starts.

You can also add tracks to the existing folders to leave the original music in rotation, right?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

HiroProtagonist posted:

You can also add tracks to the existing folders to leave the original music in rotation, right?

Don't need to, there is a checkbox that forces the game to mix ost in with the custom music.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

FutonForensic posted:

One thing I don't like is that every ship but me can move on the y-axis, and that makes me feel like a big dummy that doesn't know how to fly up in space :saddowns:

Edit: Oh wait that's just the fighters, nvm

I switched out flak cannons for pulse cannons, and fighters just pop like zits around me while I focus on the larger ships for broadside activity.

I'm still early game though, haven't even left the cradle star system. Getting into fights is such a gamble, I have a hard time being sure when I start a battle who's going to wind up getting to bite the curb. I did learn that, without argument, a mission marked 'Hard' is well outside of my current loadout capability.

What are the best noncombat options for racking up money? I'd think that running traderoutes for a bit (like every other game this one's related to) would be how to do it, but with how systems are procedurally generated, there's probably no concept of 'universally good traderoutes'. The in-game economy information doesn't seem to be all that hot either, past looking at the news to see what is reported to be selling high / low at where.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I haven't noticed any great way to know where to sell your goods even when you buy cheap so typically I just hold on to them until I see it green somewhere and sell then. Or go out and save a trader from a distress beacon and a lot of times they will buy your goods way above market if you hail them after you save them.

Vire fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 21, 2015

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
For those who are getting swarmed early, it's worth hiring one of the mercs at the bar. Those guys stay with you forever for pocket change, and they are surprisingly effective. At the very least, he can take some of the heat off of you.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Vire posted:

I haven't noticed any great way to know where to sell your goods even when you buy cheap so typically I just hold on to them until I see it green somewhere and sell then.

If you let the information on the right scroll through when you have a good highlighted it'll actually tell you where it's usually exported to/imported from.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Pylons posted:

If you let the information on the right scroll through when you have a good highlighted it'll actually tell you where it's usually exported to/imported from.

Yeah but it's still random if they actually can be sold at a profit even at the suggested stations.

Also can't recommend the beam turrets enough they just seem way more powerful then the other options at the beginning just get a shield buster and watch them do work after.

Vire fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 21, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
If you want to blast fighters get the particle laser turret, just two MK1s will destroy any fighter in the first system from full shields and health. They will also decimate non-fighters once their shields go down. Using lasers feels like cheating.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

And the rare alien lasers are even better. They have 100% shield damage compared to 25% on normal lasers.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
How are the keyboard controls in this? Seems everyone streaming it is using a controller

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Danith posted:

How are the keyboard controls in this? Seems everyone streaming it is using a controller

They are fine haven't had any issues with it so far taking on even high risk missions with Keyboard and mouse. Might be smoother with the controller though it says it's recommended in the game options launcher.

Vire fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 21, 2015

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
This is my surprise hit of the year. Really enjoying the cool space pirate atmosphere and the ponderous submarines in space combat. From what I can tell there is shitloads to do as well.

I think everyone's playing with a controller because that's what the devs suggested. But I'm using keyboard + mouse just fine. You can tell the UI was made with consoles in mind. 8 way selectors, buttons to move between categories etc. But all those elements work just fine with point and click too so it's not obnoxious.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

5er posted:

I switched out flak cannons for pulse cannons, and fighters just pop like zits around me while I focus on the larger ships for broadside activity.

I'm still early game though, haven't even left the cradle star system. Getting into fights is such a gamble, I have a hard time being sure when I start a battle who's going to wind up getting to bite the curb. I did learn that, without argument, a mission marked 'Hard' is well outside of my current loadout capability.

What are the best noncombat options for racking up money? I'd think that running traderoutes for a bit (like every other game this one's related to) would be how to do it, but with how systems are procedurally generated, there's probably no concept of 'universally good traderoutes'. The in-game economy information doesn't seem to be all that hot either, past looking at the news to see what is reported to be selling high / low at where.
Based on economy types I think you can suss out a fundamental traderoute, but you are fighting for table scraps at that point and can flood markets by sneezing in their direction. You really should play the events if you want some trading bucks, you can make some aha 200% returns by either taking overproduced event stuff anywhere, or taking the relevant needed good for shortages.

I just made it to the second system and it seems like trading is a bit of a fools errand in the first, because there are like 2 or 3 times the number of stations here so good events should be overlapping that much more.

e. and someone mentioned it earlier, but if you run into an ice belt and have a mining laser, its pretty great. There are less minable ice chunks, but the ones that are there usually give commodities worth 5-15k per.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 21, 2015

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Yaos posted:

If you want to blast fighters get the particle laser turret, just two MK1s will destroy any fighter in the first system from full shields and health. They will also decimate non-fighters once their shields go down. Using lasers feels like cheating.

A random cargo container on the very first mission to retrieve the whiskey in the asteroid belt contained two mk2 viridian lasers I think they are. It's been comical. Has felt like the equivalent of rolling the best stats possible at the start of D&D

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Okay, this may not be the mechanically best game, but it might be the most fun I've had with a game all year so far. This may be in part due to combining the entire soundtrack with the Ace Combat Zero soundtrack. Nothing like space mariachi ship battles!

I do feel like the music and the ability to not only swap, but to combine it automatically with your own music, is what really pushes the game up. Loving my time with it, and definitely recommend it to anyone interested in trying it. Now to work out if I can make it so that for really hard battles, it plays boss themes from different games...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shaquin posted:

A random cargo container on the very first mission to retrieve the whiskey in the asteroid belt contained two mk2 viridian lasers I think they are. It's been comical. Has felt like the equivalent of rolling the best stats possible at the start of D&D

That's like winning the lottery twice.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
For anybody who wants it, here is a list of all the music from Eve Online in easily download able mp3 format. No conversion needed, game plays mp3s just fine.

http://www.modenstudios.com/EVE/music/

Orv
May 4, 2011

FrancoFish posted:

For anybody who wants it, here is a list of all the music from Eve Online in easily download able mp3 format. No conversion needed, game plays mp3s just fine.

http://www.modenstudios.com/EVE/music/

Below The Asteroids, the only song that matters, sounds weird like it's missing a track or something.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Orv posted:

Below The Asteroids, the only song that matters, sounds weird like it's missing a track or something.

It sound like remix or something https://soundcloud.com/ccpgames/eve-online-below-the-asteroids?in=ccpgames/sets/eve-online-in-game-tracks

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This song is perfect for Rebel Galaxy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doP8gF2rais

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Needs more Space Lord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dscfeQOMuGw

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

I can't tell if your avatar was designed to make everything you post look like :colbert:, but it does and I like it.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

My reccs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZJej98_T0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQWAcgefsQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mDWzu5yxLg

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For you nerds that want to run this on Linux, I can confirm it works, I wrote up a quick and dirty guide here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/290300/discussions/1/483368433107026249/

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there any benefits to being friendly with one of the pirate factions? What kind of goodies can you buy from them?

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Ummm wow I think I'm stuck in windowed mode. How do you toggle full screen?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

OSheaman posted:

Have to do it from the launcher.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Does anyone else get weird periods where no music plays?

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Thank you, thread, I totally passed this over without a second glance the first time I saw this.

the Steam page for it is just so sparse, so I was worried it wouldn't have enough content to justify the 2d plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I have a DS4 controller and the native PS4 button icons are a welcome option. But it doesn't actually do native DS4 input so you need to keep using DS4windows, not ideal but I'll take it.

OSheaman posted:

In the launcher settings, there's resolution and windowed / fullscreen / fullscreen windowed (when you use fullscreen windowed it ignores the resolution dropdown and uses your desktop resolution).

• Locked thread