Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
Got this during the Steam Summer Sale- truly $10 well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
For people looking for more good trucker buttock music to add to this fantastic soundtrack, try a little know side project by Zakk Wylde called Pride and Glory.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Been meaning to update this thread with music I've heard that'd be perfect for this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rInmvUKYeKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8aNK3XMP5w

cant remember if I posted this here already or not but whatever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmYyPcEQKU4
actually anything from Dorothy is gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU3ArjPSBoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XbLPYPbi1U

there are more that I can't think of right now but these are solid picks

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Not really sold on Shinedown but all other suggestions (including the previous guy's Zakk Wylde thing) are very fitting.

Also this album that I came across the other day is 100% in line with the stuff already in game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIpyMi6R3nw

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

My in-flight music is the first three Danzig albums...

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
another good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWBm4Tx2bRo

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I just started this game a few days ago on PS4. What ship should I upgrade to? I want some more turrets and cargo space. If you are still low on space dollars, what's the best option? I'm looking at the Tennhausen since it seems good and it's almost within my space dollar range right now.

Also, I had a merc disappear on me. Did it die or do they leave after a certain amount of space time?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sioux posted:

I just started this game a few days ago on PS4. What ship should I upgrade to? I want some more turrets and cargo space. If you are still low on space dollars, what's the best option? I'm looking at the Tennhausen since it seems good and it's almost within my space dollar range right now.

Also, I had a merc disappear on me. Did it die or do they leave after a certain amount of space time?

Mercs never leave, it died. Also, move to higher level sectors as quickly as possible, since rewards grow exponentially.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sioux posted:

The Icarus is like the starting ship but slightly better in every way. I went Hammerhead -> Icarus -> Barracuda -> Sturvile and then something I can't remember. By then you'll know what you like. I pretty much prioritized speed over everything so the Tennhausen wasn't my favorite compared to the corvettes.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Does the basic gameplay change much between sectors? When i got to sector 2 it felt like i was just starting sector 1 over again, with higher numbers on the enemies/ship upgrades and no other differences.

I mean sector 1 was fun enough that i don't feel ripped off if that's all there is to this game, just wondering if i should keep going.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ravenfood posted:

The Icarus is like the starting ship but slightly better in every way. I went Hammerhead -> Icarus -> Barracuda -> Sturvile and then something I can't remember. By then you'll know what you like. I pretty much prioritized speed over everything so the Tennhausen wasn't my favorite compared to the corvettes.

Seconding the Sturville and Merc ships in general. The mercenary questline will give you enough reputation to buy some of their ships and it's easy to get enough for the rest.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Zo posted:

Does the basic gameplay change much between sectors? When i got to sector 2 it felt like i was just starting sector 1 over again, with higher numbers on the enemies/ship upgrades and no other differences.

I mean sector 1 was fun enough that i don't feel ripped off if that's all there is to this game, just wondering if i should keep going.

Nah it's pretty much the same stuff with bigger numbers.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Don't forget that you get much more powerful by upgrading gear instead of upgrading your ship. Larger ships can be a liability if your shield and deflector are too weak, because they'll have to absorb much more hits.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I also just started this on PS4, and I was wondering if to get in good with the pirates, Red Devils in particular, if you have to backstab the Alliance chick who's helping you bust out your aunt, or if you can just grind out missions? I'm like, on the very line between hostile and neutral with them and am in the upper neutrals with the Alliance.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Unless things have changed, you are always better off tackling the highest threat rated system that you can, and also try to keep your equipment EVENLY upgraded. Don't try to be clever and buy something two MKs higher than your worst equipment thinking "If I save up and buy a huge shield early, I can breeze through missions in easier sectors!"

Back when I was playing this, my biggest stonewall of sudden difficulty was not realizing mission enemies would scale with you. So slumming it in earlier sectors just meant less pay for fighting increasingly powerful enemies spawned by "easy" missions. Dreadnaughts spawning in the starting sector for missions type stuff after a point.

Then while in a system that sold MK2 equipment tops, a plain old frigate dropped me a MK6 turret "Oh, I bet equipping this gun will make my life way easier-oh gently caress OH gently caress".

So I sold that mnk6 gun ASAP for some cash, started taking "Very hard" missions in a system that sold MK5 stuff, and found myself having a much, much easier time even while only sporting mk4 tops than when I was taking stuff labeled as easy in early sectors for less pay.

The final areas are actually the easiest despite larger enemy ships being more common. Because once you have MK5 gear, enemies can only spawn with one better. And once you have a spread of MK6, enemies can't spawn with anything better than you. Compared to being equipped with a mix of MK 3 and MK4 parts and fighting stuff two or three grades higher.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 9, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gileadexile posted:

I also just started this on PS4, and I was wondering if to get in good with the pirates, Red Devils in particular, if you have to backstab the Alliance chick who's helping you bust out your aunt, or if you can just grind out missions? I'm like, on the very line between hostile and neutral with them and am in the upper neutrals with the Alliance.

you can, just barely, get neutral with the Red Devils while also staying neutral with civilians and the Militia. This requires finding missions in the starting system that are +rep to cartel and -rep to the Doublejack Thugs, and running those to get up to neutral with cartel. Then you will have to carefully juggle rep for the rest of the game to stay :geno: with all three. But you don't have to betray the alliance chick and you get to buy pirate ships (some of the best) and it's kinda easy-mode because all the random cartel fleets don't attack you (but you also can't attack cartel pirate lords who have great loot).

To explain why this is difficult: the rep system has a thing where when you cross a border with one faction, it also chains onto that faction's allies and enemies. So the moment you cross over to neutral with the cartel, you get a substantial drop to militia rep since the militia hates the cartel. If you go friendly with either one, the other will be even more pissed. And if you hurt the civilians it will cost you rep with the militia, but not the other way around.

My verdict would probably be more trouble than it's worth but the pirate ships are quite baller, I dunno.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I'm not sure if I understand the scaling. But if a mission is considered hard am I basically screwed? How much skill are actually put into these fights? I outflew the hell out of a higher tiered ship but since I still couldn't penetrate the shields I ended up dead.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Nah, mission difficulty is ... well, I never paid much attention to it. When I was flying my preferred Fast And Light ship, a Sturville, I had to take antishield missiles as my way to punch through dreadnoughts but other than that it was just go fast, snipe fighters at range, beat up capitals after. Harder missions just meant more enemies to shoot, mostly.

then I got a Minotaur and never paid attention to difficulty again :getin:

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 10, 2016

Sioux
May 30, 2006

Thanks for the reactions. When I found out you don't lose any money when picking a cheaper ship as you really only 'have' one, I just got the Tennhausen. Then due to more storage space and extending even that through the +12 (?) cargo space option I was getting a LOT more money through trading items from one base to another while doing missions. I was quickly able to change Tennhausen to Scarab and I'm really liking the many turrets and good cargo space. So I guess I'll just upgrade or 'try out' a ship as I see one within my price range. Although I do understand that you get more bang for buck by just upgrading all your components such as turrets, shield, deflector and broadsides to a higher mark. I now upgraded everything to Mk.2.
I guess I will do a few more missions in the first sector so I can buy a hyperjump (?) and go to the second sector.

Although regarding the mercenary. I noticed last night that sometimes they just split. I was not doing any fighting and the robot merc that I bought an hour or two earlier said something and then dissapeared. Maybe there's a time limit on PS4 right now.

I have one further question about broadsides. When you look at a ship, you see how many broadside ports it has and how many turret ports. When I bought the Scarab after a while I bought some new turrets so as to fill out the open ports and increase my firepower. However, you cannot buy any more broadsides. So what does the amount of broadside ports really change? There's no ammo for broadsides is there? Does it increase the dps of the broadside?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sioux posted:

I have one further question about broadsides. When you look at a ship, you see how many broadside ports it has and how many turret ports. When I bought the Scarab after a while I bought some new turrets so as to fill out the open ports and increase my firepower. However, you cannot buy any more broadsides. So what does the amount of broadside ports really change? There's no ammo for broadsides is there? Does it increase the dps of the broadside?
Broadside ports directly increase the number of beams/shots you fire every time you fire broadside. A ship with 3 broadside ports has 50% more firepower than a ship with 2 ports. A ship with 10 ports will have 5x as much firepower as a ship with 2 ports.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
broadside weaponry is unique in that ammo is infinite and the only thing that scales is the weapon type and number of ports, which can make certain starship upgrades significant offensively even without taking turrets into account.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bell_ posted:

broadside weaponry is unique in that ammo is infinite and the only thing that scales is the weapon type and number of ports, which can make certain starship upgrades significant offensively even without taking turrets into account.

This is a similar situation for subweapons. While there are ammo based sub weapons, you always get the same amount of shots. Your max ammo count will increase to compensate for more sub weapon mounts being fired. (things like Mines and the missiles will fire out of both sides of your ship at once, too).

I avoid the dumbfires now. I gave them a solid try all the way through mark 4, but needing to lead shots, on top of my most disliked enemy type having an open framework they would harmlessly pass through 3/4 of their body for, yeah... :sigh: Just not worth the hassle even when they DO hit.

Mines are surprisingly good for extended combat missions and messing up large ships point blank with a smaller ship. Mines stick around for a while too, which means I've seen plenty of reinforcement waves spawn directly into already existing mines, as well as dreadnaughts circle into the mines fired from the other side of my ship.

When I'm flying bigger stuff, i prefer the fire and forget missiles to help whittle down fighters faster instead. Flak is infinite, but my own luck with it has always been horrible. Though others have had it work wonders for them in turn.

Psion posted:

then I got a Minotaur and never paid attention to difficulty again :getin:

I love that thing so much. Plenty of speed to go along with plenty of firepower to handle anything you come across.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 10, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I used EMP flak for a while and went back to regular flak just because I can hold the button down and forget it. It's not that great - the gunport locations on the Minotaur mean actually intercepting torpedoes and missiles is problematic while you're blasting at full speed - but whatever, it's something to spam which probably does something while I wait to charge a neutron broadside on some poor sucker.

in the end you will become powerful enough that it doesn't matter. Pick what's most fun.

if you really want flak to work for you, you basically need to slow down. Missiles tend to lead you and your speed, especially in something like a Sturville or Minotaur, means flak lags behind you - basically you fly out of your own flak cloud. So if you see missiles, drop speed and dump flak; missiles will fly right into it and get shot down. Throttle up and continue. Otherwise you run into the somewhat frustrating situation of missiles always coming in from the front and flak always being to your rear.

switching between slow/fast also tends to throw off enemy aim for things like broadsides, which isn't all bad. Don't stay slow for too long.

Section Z posted:

I love that thing so much. Plenty of speed to go along with plenty of firepower to handle anything you come across.

It's the best. I cannot even consider going with any of the dreadnoughts. I bought one for the achievement and maybe took it into space for about 90 seconds, maximum, then right back to the Minotaur.

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 11, 2016

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Does anyone know of the best way how to find or locate rare items/weapons? And further in the game do I have better chances at ships that actually drop stuff?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Philosopher King posted:

Does anyone know of the best way how to find or locate rare items/weapons? And further in the game do I have better chances at ships that actually drop stuff?

Pirate Lords very often carry level appropriate stuff in addition to goods and a cash bounty. But they're rare because them spawning competes with tons of other possible events that last for a loooong time until they wear off on their own.
Another fairly boring method is to find a high level system and look for clouds of junk during warp. Those are debris or minefields and they fairly often contain 2-4 loot containers with possible gear (look for special containers) and almost never have pirates in them. Generally the mines are only a danger for really underpowered shields.
Each sector has a level associated with it on the which you can see from the equipment shops in stations: if there's only mark 5 and 6 gear for sale that means it's an end game system. Just keep your distance and run away from enemies.

Other than that it's simply luck that some of the larger enemies spawn with more than just a few units of booze or actual poo poo in the hold.

As a last tip if you go into targetting mode you scan whatever you have currently selected and at the end it'll tell you exactly what's in the container or what the ship will drop.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Besides Pirate Lords, I think blockade leaders also have guaranteed equipment drops.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm looking into this game and wanna be a space pirate. Are there quick and dirty tips for doing so? Just you're basic Do's and Don'ts. Don't need a full on guide.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Do the treasure ships for archeaological finds also carry a lot of stuff? I heard about some guy getting 6 rares on a single ship

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Viperix posted:

I'm looking into this game and wanna be a space pirate. Are there quick and dirty tips for doing so? Just you're basic Do's and Don'ts. Don't need a full on guide.

Run a couple missions for the cartel pirates at the start to get up to neutral with them and unlock their stations. (but unlike my previous post, you don't need to worry about who the opponent is.) After that you're pretty much set, there's a pirate side to the main plot too.

Civilian ships that the traders use are actually quite beefy. Not really dangerous cause they have less guns, but a fuckton of shield HP. Threaten them into dropping cargo rather than kill them to save time.

Being a pirate will probably lock you out of the Merchant's guild who have some of the best missions for getting money. Enjoy being paradoxically poor for a pirate. Fortunately the pirates have 2 of the best ships in bang for bucks, the hellion and damocles.

You can't change your evil ways. Because the good guys won't talk to you or let you dock in their stations. :v:

Philosopher King posted:

Do the treasure ships for archeaological finds also carry a lot of stuff? I heard about some guy getting 6 rares on a single ship

I'd bet it was 6 of the rare super-expensive trade items, not 6 weapons -- but I have to admit I've never scanned a treasure ship before!

Sioux
May 30, 2006

What about if you are a long ways into the game and want to get neutral with the pirates? What is the best way to do it? Their missions gently caress your rep with other factions, right?

I am really enjoying the Radovich (I call her the Pillar of Autumn) with the 20 (?) slot extra cargo upgrade. I can pretty much kill anything the game throws at me and not have to worry. I just hug the destroyers/dreadnaughts and unleash hell with the neutron beams and mines or rockets. Most of my weapons are mk.6 with some mk.5. I can carry 68 tons and I think most of my money comes from buying the big ticket items cheap and selling them somewhere else.

Also, gently caress escort missions. They are buggy and why can't they just warp AROUND the massive space rock field?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah don't ever take escort missions, they broke as gently caress.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This game was in the humble monthly. To all the new players, once again, avoid escort missions like the plague. At least your escorts mostly don't crash into planets anymore. Mostly.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Also the minute you get a tractor beam you should go out and mine some ice fields, even if you don't have a mining laser. Pure water and meteoric diamonds get you up to 50k or so real quick, and buying all the mk 1 gear and better turrets is a huge boost in the early game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As a heads up, I don't know if they ever changed this but try to keep your equipment at least on par with eachother as you upgrade, rather than deciding "I'll be clever and buy a MK5 shield while I'm still a mix of mk2 and mk3 parts, THEN work my way up for the rest".

Because it's pretty certain mission spawned enemies scale based off your gear, and skewed towards your best gear as better stuff costs more. So when I did that suddenly I was fighting dreadnoughts in "Easy Mission, Easy sector that sells MK2 tops" and frigates dropping MK6 turrets which equipping only made my life worse, rather than better.

But when I sold off my much higher grade stuff for cash, finally rounded out to MK 4 stuff, and started taking 'Very Hard" missions in hard sectors that sold mk5 stuff? Much more easy to deal with despite the game telling me it was "hard".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 17, 2016

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'm making a pass on all the free PS4 games I got but never played and Rebel Galaxy came up. Usually I can tell if something is going to be worth playing more of within 30 minutes, but I can't get a read on this one (I'm convinced the ironically good/unironically awful music has something to do with it) and reviews are all over the place.

Besides avoiding escort and rescue missions, what do I need to know before starting this game to best enjoy it? I know this is less Privateer and more Pirates!, but does that mean to almost fully ignore the open world aspects?

boho fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 14, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rebel Galaxy is a game you should play with your finger on the refund button because love it or hate it, the experience you get in the first two hours is basically the same experience for the next 20.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Game's pretty simple, just play and you'll figure it out. I guess the only thing you should know is that buying and selling price for ships and equipment is the same so you'll never actually lose money with the result being that trying out new ships and weapons is totally risk free.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boy did I not enjoy learning that transponders can lead you to fleets of frigates and ships your size with half a dozen fighters and gunships 30 minutes into the game. Or rather, I enjoyed learning that, but not that I can't manually save, and also that it autosaved while I was half-dead realizing that mistake, and also did not enjoy learning that loading the game shuts your engines down. :gonk:

I got out and killed most of it eventually but goddamn. Game's clicking for me more on PS4 than PC for some reason (PS Plus a few months after I got it on sale on Steam).

thekeeshman posted:

Also the minute you get a tractor beam you should go out and mine some ice fields, even if you don't have a mining laser. Pure water and meteoric diamonds get you up to 50k or so real quick, and buying all the mk 1 gear and better turrets is a huge boost in the early game.

Is mining just shooting at things until they break up? I was wondering about that.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Is mining just shooting at things until they break up? I was wondering about that.

Yeah, it is. Mining lasers can lock onto asteroids though. And with a fault tracker upgrade you get bonus lock-on points on them for extra loot if you shoot the rocks there.
However mining lasers are among the best general purpose turrets, because they're fantastic fly swatters.

For everyone who is new to the game: I cannot repeat it often enough to get out of the starting system as soon as you can and don't look back. The very next system over is already noticably better for earning money.
And if you're adventerous go look for systems where mark 5 or 6 stuff is sold in the stations and trawl junk fields for containers because even one high level piece of generic gear will sell for enough to kit yourself out in pretty much all mark 4 stuff where it counts. Just avoid enemies and mine fields until you are kitted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sioux
May 30, 2006

And don't equip a mk.5 piece if the rest of your gear is mk.1. Enemies scale with your highest piece.

• Locked thread