Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FrancoFish posted:

The game has easy set up for custom soundtracks, I've put basically the entire firefly soundtrack into the game

Yeah, the soundtrack got old extremely fast for me, but with the launcher basically handing you the keys to the jukebox, I just pointed it at the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack and we're good to go with absolutely nothing to complain about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eiHtQUkmXY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The developers are on record saying they're ok with mods, but have not made mod tools or any effort to make it easy to mod (focusing their efforts on development, not being lazy).

Man, I hope this thing eventually has mods. It's so solid as is, it'd be a shame for it not to be extended in a multitude of awful ways and a single delightful one.

edit: It is not making me hopeful for community mod organization that the official forums for the game are the Steam forums. Still, it's a pretty good diversion for the buck as-is.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 21, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Adam Bowen posted:

What's up with the distance measures in this game? A ship close enough to touch is like 1 sm away but a planet across the solar system is only like 7000 away.

Passed by a star that looks smaller than a moon, and the moon was about the size of two stadiums. When I approached the moon, I got the graphical equivalent of atmospheric friction burn waves on my space ship.

Curse you, you rebellious galaxy!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 21, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHJYiuZkRXw

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct-qa6SjRZo

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The devs have said that while they're not against mods, they weren't going to go out of their way to make the game mod friendly.

I think the combination of the Freelancer vibe and the Torchlight resume of the developers had me hoping for some mod tools, both are pretty moddable games. This one's going to require some community organization and long term affection to have mods for it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what does this game have to offer other than the less good half of a really good minigame

I'd love a new escape velocity/elite/independence war type space piratey game but what does this do that those don't/better than they do

Play the game or don't

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Another minor feather in the cap of the developer: they're pushing out updates to the GOG version pretty promptly. I'm almost used to GOG games getting the second class treatment versus Steam.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Been filling my stations with lovely 90's rock. First time I've heard Oasis on purpose in at least a decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUoVQ-kB7DQ

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

I love it. I'm all in favor of bright 70s art space full of day-glo nebulae and pastel planets.

Especially this time of year, helps ward off seasonal depression. If I want to stare at an infinite black void I can look out my window.

You're riding a space motorcycle through the painted desert of the Wild West in space. There.

I won't lie, this game doesn't scratch my free roaming outer space career simulator itch. But it's its own thing, it's really good at it, and it's fun.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Alchenar posted:

GOG still don't have the hotfix :negative:

Might have to bug them on the Steam forum.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Still having fun with this game, but just this slight sadness that I was hoping it would be something I'd play for more than a couple weeks. Mid November I'll be about ready to retire. What is it about space games that they always feel like they should be something more.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

duck monster posted:

Cheap game written by two dudes on a hobbyist (ogre3d) engine. I'm not complaining, I'm having fun.

Same here, except I'm not so much complaining as I am being a whiny bitch for not getting the best space game ever.

I'd also note that I've ignored a lot of top-down open-world space games in the hopes that something like this would come around. Man I have no desire to play any more top-down space games with asteroids control schemes.

Except for Weird Worlds, I think I could fire that up again. Maybe Transcendence.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LordSloth posted:

Eh, you could play space rangers for a top-down game with turn-based mouse-driven combat and text adventures.

This is exactly what I was playing before Rebel Galaxy, and exactly what I'll be starting right up. In another week or so, after I grind a bit more in this game...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Stickin' with Space Rangers until something better comes along (Enemy Starfighter b/c f Elite and Star Citizen)

But in the meantime grinding for turrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

That graph would be way more useful if it just said what it did, and have a second chart that remembered the most recent prices I've seen with my own eyeballs. But knowing the midline is based on actual reality helps somewhat.

Although I'm only about halfway through the game I might put it down for a month or so, I feel like it's not done evolving and I don't wanna wear it out.

That, and holding down a mouse button, swiveling my mouse left and right, and clicking constantly with my other finger is just not a good exercise to do repeatedly. I wonder if they'd consider something a little more automated for folks with RSI.

• Locked thread