Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looks interesting, will definitely keep it on my radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Can anyone elaborate on the non-combat aspects of gameplay? Do you have an individual character with a crew that you can talk to, trade routes that can be established, upgrade paths, etc.? How many aliens can I gently caress in this game?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

How does this control on an XBox 360 gamepad, preferable to kb+m?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This game is pretty good. I like how unlike other space games you can mostly ignore the main quest and boring crap like mining pretty much immediately and get right to the shootin'. Combat could be a little tighter, I feel like most of the time I'm just running to catch up with the bad guys. That just might be because my ship is still junk though. Definitely play with a controller if you can. I love that everything is on a 2D plane and easy to navigate, so you're never that far away from some point of interest. Just a very chill game in general, I can see myself running a couple hours of this whenever I just wanna blow up stuff and unwind to space country.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what does this game have to offer other than the less good half of a really good minigame

I'd love a new escape velocity/elite/independence war type space piratey game but what does this do that those don't/better than they do

Unlike the other space sims you mentioned, the focus of Rebel Galaxy is on the ship to ship combat and clearing out the galaxy map of its point of interests, whether that's responding to distress calls, finding cargo to collect, or participating in small to huge capitol ship battles. All the econ and mining bloat has been effectively streamlined or cut out entirely. You can build up your trading rep and do a lot of merchant guild missions for cash, or you could very easily blow up some pirates for credits. You can spend a lot of time finding the best rates for all your commodities, or you can just sell them all at the nearest spaceport and be off exploring again. What I like about RG is that it's not overly ambitious, you have a very simple interface and menus and can just take off from there. Other space sims I feel like you need to read a novel about for all the janky idiosyncrasies, this game starts you off with the basics and within an hour you're off battling dudes and negotiating with frogmen instead of flipping through menus at a space port, deciding if you should buy the Temporal Emitters or the Phase Disruptor for your cargo hold. That's the appeal of it to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The general vibe I'm getting from this game is "always buy a new ship first before boosting your weapons/defense systems," does that seem right?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Largepotato posted:

You can also save the game in space by using exit to title.

I learned this the hard way when I got into an impossible space battle and thought I could just reload my save from the last station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rebel Galaxy is a game you should play with your finger on the refund button because love it or hate it, the experience you get in the first two hours is basically the same experience for the next 20.

• Locked thread