Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How's the exploration aspect of the game? A lot of cool stuff to see and do or is it more like X3 and it's just more places to buy and sell? If the former I'm going to have to pick this up because Basically Freelancer 2 But With Frigates is definitely my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shaquin posted:

It is this in every way that matters, and vastly a better game in every other way.

I'm also finding Unknown Hinson to make for wicked ambient tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGVfW7i6Qyo

And sold!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just bought the game and wow, space ships and trucker vibes actually go super well together. My only real issue with the game is it's hard to get used to a 2d space game that's not top-down, but really it's fine. Time to smuggle some space whiskey!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boy did I not enjoy learning that transponders can lead you to fleets of frigates and ships your size with half a dozen fighters and gunships 30 minutes into the game. Or rather, I enjoyed learning that, but not that I can't manually save, and also that it autosaved while I was half-dead realizing that mistake, and also did not enjoy learning that loading the game shuts your engines down. :gonk:

I got out and killed most of it eventually but goddamn. Game's clicking for me more on PS4 than PC for some reason (PS Plus a few months after I got it on sale on Steam).

thekeeshman posted:

Also the minute you get a tractor beam you should go out and mine some ice fields, even if you don't have a mining laser. Pure water and meteoric diamonds get you up to 50k or so real quick, and buying all the mk 1 gear and better turrets is a huge boost in the early game.

Is mining just shooting at things until they break up? I was wondering about that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a way to tell besides instantly exploding which bounties are too strong before you get there? That's twice now I was cut to ribbons in seconds by lasers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for the tips! I got a mining laser and two other lasers and now I can actually fight back, it's helping a lot. Finally got a jumpcore, so after a few more plot missions I'll start hopping around then come back. I think I'm going to go for a ship with a load of turrets, load them up with lasers, and just thruster boost my way to victory, maybe use EMP flak to shut down fighter swarms. :v:

I'd use some missiles or ordnance, but you don't seem to get a lot and I don't like the idea of running out after a few fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lmao I bought a jumpdrive, and went to a sector called Vengeance since it was the only one available from the starting sector. "Extreme difficulty?" I think, "But they all say that! I bet it's just flavor.". Five seconds after I jumped I ran into a destroyer fleet. :v:

I guess I should go rescue my aunt first. On the plus side I can kill swarms for 40k credits if I'm cautious and pull them piecemeal, since I have a mk.2 mining laser and 2 mk.2 precision lasers. The tachyon broadside rips the shields off capital ships, then I boost in and slice them apart. It's a pretty fun loadout! I killed a command ship with it (does that mean anything btw?).

I got a ramming deflector, are they worth they reduce damage absorption or is the damage not that great?

• Locked thread