Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Now that I know that mk6 antimatter drives exist I need one for my Barracuda. :getin:

With regular mk6 drive and warp drive I'm already overshooting jump gates even when I'm perfectly aligned because I'm too fast for collision detection. But I gotta go even faster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

You can't chase down Pirate Lords from behind. They have screens of chaff behind them at enough distance so that the boss will just keep on trucking while they drop you out of warp.

You need to veer off and come in from the side and slightly ahead of the group to get close enough to your mark. Or park yourself in their warp corridor.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah the entourage rubberbands hard. Had quite a few that teleported mid death explosion myself. You only get them to stay by dropping the lord out of warp.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Blow up viriax, they can drop armour that combines both damage reduction plates into one. I had the luck of getting a mk5 one when I was still on mk4 ceramic plates.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

I tried out the blackgate myself and because I am a boring man I use 16 pulse turrets with the rate of fire and projectile speed upgrades. All set to shoot whatever because I can't be arsed. Together with EMP-Flak I murder small poo poo up to those garbage corvettes reflexively while focusing the broadsides on the big stuff.

And if your dread handles too much like a pig try the manoeuvring thruster upgrade. It really makes a difference.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Getting pirate crap is easiest by blowing up pirate lords? gently caress no. So far I've got mk6 viriax armour(35% damage reduction of fighter and explosive damage and hp is inbetween guild stuff and standard), electro bolt broadsides as well as only a mk5 antimatter drive(disappointing because it's apparently just the equivalent mk regular drive +12m/s. going from +10% to only ~+5.5% better) from container spawns.

My problem is the low spawn rate of pirate bosses in my game. Instead I'm a truffle pig looking through all those junk- and minefields.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

One thing I've noticed: Yikyak meat is the inexplicable cave grapes/wall chicken/perfectly cooked turkey dinner sitting on the floor inside a nazi castle of this game. It's the odd found cargo container without at least one unit of space meat in it.

And yeah, for subsequent playthroughs getting a jumpdrive and getting to a high level system is the best course of action. Even finding the regular purchasable high level gear means getting the equivalent value in cold hard cash.

And thanks for the tip I'll try farming invasions for korian gear instead of intercepting just the lone invasion craft.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

Can the Merchant Guild dead drop missions be completed in a Sturville?

Yes, they only take up one unit of cargo. and you can totally ignore all enemies that spawn and zoom past them. You should look into getting good shields/deflector, engine, booster and maybe the 50% leech duration upgrade from the merchant's guild. The higher level ones (mk5/mk6 systems) will hit you with unavoidable leech effect and pull you right out of warp.

Plus the guild large cargo extender is ludicrously generous and turns every ship into a hauler.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

double nine posted:

I'm new to this game, did anyone ever figure out the types of goods that get produced in different space stations? From the look of the menu, science, military, mining ... stations seem like they should produce/consume different stuff but it's too difficult to keep track of where I first bought what...

There is another aspect to trading than just the general station type: government and economy types also influence the market heavily. But seriously trade good spawning in stations is poo poo for consistent player trading and you get way more money for your trouble doing high level dead drops. in a fast ship with the best shields and mobility you can afford, of course.

Another thing I learned when I went straight from Barracuda to Blackgate post story is that the larger the target the less you need to charge your broadsides. The volleys are well aimed at half charge against destroyers and above. And the closer you are the more difficulty the three seperate broadside banks of the Blackgate have at concentrating fire. since the pirate leviathans and gargantuas are Blackgates you can exploit it with a small ship by wedging yourself inbetween the middle and either the forward or rear banks on either side.

In fact, dreads are easy pickings in small ships if you exploit their geometry aggressively with ramming deflectors.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Broadsides, like all equipment, come in mk1-6 and get much stronger than the starting system crap. And yes Broadside weapons scale with your ship's broadside ports. Secondaries also scale that way both in oomph as well as higher ammo capacity per port.
And some weapons scale in more than just raw damage at higher mks. mining lasers get extra range and pulses get higher projectile velocity, for example.

Finally no, you aren't forced to use the same type of junk the whole game. Remember: equipment sells for the same amount of spacedollars as you buy it for.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

They randomly spawn and when they reach their target station gently caress off forever. Well pirate Lords have a much shorter duration than other events which clog up a systems 5 active event limit, making them even rarer.

I got most of my special crap by looking though all junk/minefields in higher level systems. Generally only danger is in the mines but if you keep your shields up to snuff and don't run into too many at once you should be fine.You know you've hit gold if it says "special crate" when you lock it there will be pirate gear inside.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Don't forget that you get much more powerful by upgrading gear instead of upgrading your ship. Larger ships can be a liability if your shield and deflector are too weak, because they'll have to absorb much more hits.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Philosopher King posted:

Does anyone know of the best way how to find or locate rare items/weapons? And further in the game do I have better chances at ships that actually drop stuff?

Pirate Lords very often carry level appropriate stuff in addition to goods and a cash bounty. But they're rare because them spawning competes with tons of other possible events that last for a loooong time until they wear off on their own.
Another fairly boring method is to find a high level system and look for clouds of junk during warp. Those are debris or minefields and they fairly often contain 2-4 loot containers with possible gear (look for special containers) and almost never have pirates in them. Generally the mines are only a danger for really underpowered shields.
Each sector has a level associated with it on the which you can see from the equipment shops in stations: if there's only mark 5 and 6 gear for sale that means it's an end game system. Just keep your distance and run away from enemies.

Other than that it's simply luck that some of the larger enemies spawn with more than just a few units of booze or actual poo poo in the hold.

As a last tip if you go into targetting mode you scan whatever you have currently selected and at the end it'll tell you exactly what's in the container or what the ship will drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Is mining just shooting at things until they break up? I was wondering about that.

Yeah, it is. Mining lasers can lock onto asteroids though. And with a fault tracker upgrade you get bonus lock-on points on them for extra loot if you shoot the rocks there.
However mining lasers are among the best general purpose turrets, because they're fantastic fly swatters.

For everyone who is new to the game: I cannot repeat it often enough to get out of the starting system as soon as you can and don't look back. The very next system over is already noticably better for earning money.
And if you're adventerous go look for systems where mark 5 or 6 stuff is sold in the stations and trawl junk fields for containers because even one high level piece of generic gear will sell for enough to kit yourself out in pretty much all mark 4 stuff where it counts. Just avoid enemies and mine fields until you are kitted out.

• Locked thread