Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just got this game last night and my "short test run" ended up being a 9 hour session. Game's simple but I don't mind, it's fun as hell and I assume it'll open up a little bit once I get out of the starting system. Sure I could've easily done that already, but I've had too much fun putzing around juggling goods that I haven't gotten around to it.

Absolutely loving the soundtrack too, it's amazing how well it fits the atmosphere. And I love the customization feature, I'm in the process of adding in some custom tracks just now. Stuff like Blues Pills and Graveyard oughta fit perfectly, and they both have some more mellow songs too to use as non-combat tracks. Also this one is just plain mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Klyith posted:

Gotta go fast.
As someone who's been flying a Tennhausen for most of the game and just recently upgraded to a Sturville, I will be inclined to agree.

As for broadsides, I wish there were some plain ol' ballistic cannons in the game instead of just different shades of pew pew and zaapp. I wanna go all BSG on some motherfuckers.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GotLag posted:

Proton cannons are good for that. You can shoot people up from afar by aiming your shots fully, or you can get right in close and just click as fast as you can and laugh as their ship melts.
Yeah I've been using those for most of the game, I like that they have good range and are pretty effective against both shields and armor.

As for wanting ballistic cannons, I just meant it from an aesthetic point of view. I wanna hear KA-POW KA-POW and BOOM BOOM and see muzzle blasts and smoke puffs and poo poo. I wanna be loving Minmatar instead of Gallente.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gwaihir posted:

Just so you know, there major way the game does upgrades is based on your gear, and not really your ship. In fact, upgrading your ship can end up making things more difficult since you will be slower (generally) and take more hits.

One you get out of the starting zone you can buy higher marque gear and keep the Tennhousen for a while more.
This is very true. It's easy to underestimate the value of being small and fast. A Tennhausen with all mark 5 gear is still a force to be reckoned with. With the extra-powerful, lower duration boosters (I forgot what they were called) you can keep dancing around enemies and always dictate which side you want to engage them from. Dreadnoughts can't really do poo poo with their big broadside guns if you just keep behind them shooting their rear end, or you can hug their side so closely that their guns can't get an angle on you, while you just whale on them with all you got.

And remember; if you want to change direction in a hurry, let go of the gas pedal. Even the more agile ships have a pretty big turning radius if you turn while moving, but you can kill your throttle, spin around in a couple seconds, throttle right back up and hit the boost and you'll be back at max speed in no time flat. I've gotten a lot of mileage from this simple little trick.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Doctor Bombadil posted:

and soundtrack alone is well worth the money. I imagine piloting the craft with truckers hat on, poo poo hanging off rearview mirror and one arm out of the window. I wish there were more games like this.
It really can't be stated enough how awesome the soundtrack in this game is. Not only are the songs themselves really good stuff, the way they dynamically change depending on the situation is really well done.
And the custom soundtrack feature is great, I wish more games did that. I added a bunch of oldschool stoner- and blues rock stuff into the mix and it just meshes perfectly with the vanilla tracks.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Psion posted:

I want something fast and harder hitting than my MinotaurMastadon. I'm most of the way through the plot of sector 1 I think?
The Tennhausen is a solid upgrade over the Mastadon and pretty cheap, I recommend that one as your next step.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, that's what I was saying a while back too.
GotLag said he'd try to mod those in if someone provides him with some sound files, so get to hunting I guess? :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
If you play this game without Deep Purple's Space Truckin' somewhere in the mix, I don't even know what to say to you

Like seriously, this thread's title should just be Rebel Galaxy - C'mon let's go space truckin'

xiansi posted:

Well now. I always described this game's (excellent) music as 'dark country', which is a compilation you can find quite a bit of it on, but trucker butt-rock is obviously better
I've also heard the term "southern gothic" thrown around a few times. Just mentioning this since I figure it might be useful if someone wants to search for new artists in a similar vein, I don't wanna start any genre sperg-out.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Not really sold on Shinedown but all other suggestions (including the previous guy's Zakk Wylde thing) are very fitting.

Also this album that I came across the other day is 100% in line with the stuff already in game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIpyMi6R3nw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

boho posted:

ironically good/unironically awful music
I will loving fight you m8

• Locked thread