Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Got this game in the steam sale and having a blast. The problem I generally have now, though, is that I'm missing out on some sweet broadside action. I just made it out of the starter system in the Hammerhead with MkII Mining Lasers, Tachyon broadsides, Null-G boosters, and ramming shields. So far, it feels like I'm playing more of a fighter game and the optimal play is to get my mining lasers into range of the target and let them core out the shields for me while I spam tachyon shots at them, but the mining lasers are still doing most of the work. While it works great for killing other capital ships quick, adv. gunship swarms are rough and taping down the flak button seems to do gently caress-all.

Switch ships to the Icarus or Tennhausen? Use HS secondaries? EMP flak? switch turrets? Switch broadsides? The mining lasers just put out so much damage (is it me, or should mining lasers be the hull-only damage beam?) that its hard to not just ram enemies and let them go to work while I watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

OxMan posted:

I wanna second the Icarus ownage. I'm digging it as a minor upgrade to the mastodon, and its not very expensive. You can get one by just doing 5 missions for rank 2 at a merchant base and its real pretty to boot. I also stop and do a scan the first time i hit a nebula or asteroid/ice field because ive found alien artifacts just floating there and thats a free 30k or so.
It handles like a Hammerhead + so I used it right up until I got in a barracuda. The Icarus is a great little ship.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Moochewmoo posted:

So I'm really struggling to make money via trading. I try and buy stuff below market average line, watch out for station having sales and such, but no one pays above average so I only make a fraction of what I could on goods.
War-profiteering can be really nice. Munitions, robots, and biowaste all sell for way above market value. And Intellectual Property sells way above during a tech boom, iirc, and they're more common. But realistically, the best way I found to make money was merchant guild drops. Plus, blockade-running during them is a lot more fun that space trading.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Moochewmoo posted:

Okay, I'll take myself out of the starter system and give it a go. Also it seems like turrets do more of my heavy lifting then my broadsides. For instance a broadside with long range and 2 second recharge is enough to make me just kinda tickle other ships.

Does it just change as I get more ports? Am I always gonna use hit scan laser turrets and anti missile flak?
I had the same concerns early on. Get yourself an Icarus: You'll get more turrets and more broadsides, so your main guns will pack a much bigger punch. Once you get to something with 6 broadsides (Sturvile!), they really start carrying their weight and kicking rear end, but even the jump to the Icarus' 4 is good. If you're friendly to the pirates you could also get yourself a Hellion which looks like a kickass early ship. I went Hammerhead -> Icarus -> Barracuda -> Sturvile and it was a really good progression. Hammerhead -> Icarus is a great transition. Seriously, go to the merchant's guild, join it, and then do guild drop missions until you can afford one. And get out of the first system asap. As for turrets, early on mining lasers steal the show because you're basically flying a super-fast ship, so closing in and letting them carve things up for you works well. As you get bigger, you start wanting to stand off a bit more and things like pulse lasers and beam turrets start becoming more attractive.

RIght now I've got (mk3 everything) a Sturvile with neutron beam broadsides, 3 pulse turrets, 1 beam turret, and a shieldbuster set to target-only. Really fast, not so tough, but can kill things pretty well too. With the shieldbuster, the weak shield damage of the beams isn't a problem, and the pulse turrets do a good job of killing fighters that I didn't cull with the neutron beams. I also hired some merc named Steve that seems to do pretty well for himself in that regard too.

e; With null-grav boosters and the EMP shielding, I can basically outrun everything even if they hit me with Leech rounds. gently caress it, I ain't dying. The only thing I struggle with is the merc defense missions but only because my target often dies first.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 10, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Any suggestions on what ship to upgrade to from a Sturvile?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Cool, Minotaur it'll probably be! Then I have to figure out where I'm going to afford the extra 5 turrets I get to put on this thing. I think a Leech/Shieldbuster pairing set to locked only would work pretty well to mitigate the speed loss when it comes to killing any larger ships, and frankly, I'm not using my maneuverability too much anyhow. The speed, though, that's going to hurt. I'll miss burning through EMP blockades like there's nothing there, but I'll survive I guess.

Are scatter turrets worth talking at all? Pulse turrets seem strictly better, though I'm thinking one set to fighter-only might help some.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sioux posted:

I just started this game a few days ago on PS4. What ship should I upgrade to? I want some more turrets and cargo space. If you are still low on space dollars, what's the best option? I'm looking at the Tennhausen since it seems good and it's almost within my space dollar range right now.

Also, I had a merc disappear on me. Did it die or do they leave after a certain amount of space time?

The Icarus is like the starting ship but slightly better in every way. I went Hammerhead -> Icarus -> Barracuda -> Sturvile and then something I can't remember. By then you'll know what you like. I pretty much prioritized speed over everything so the Tennhausen wasn't my favorite compared to the corvettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sioux posted:

I have one further question about broadsides. When you look at a ship, you see how many broadside ports it has and how many turret ports. When I bought the Scarab after a while I bought some new turrets so as to fill out the open ports and increase my firepower. However, you cannot buy any more broadsides. So what does the amount of broadside ports really change? There's no ammo for broadsides is there? Does it increase the dps of the broadside?
Broadside ports directly increase the number of beams/shots you fire every time you fire broadside. A ship with 3 broadside ports has 50% more firepower than a ship with 2 ports. A ship with 10 ports will have 5x as much firepower as a ship with 2 ports.

• Locked thread