Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Played a couple hours of this, and its a lot of fun. Kind of reminds me of Freespace in how arcade-y the fighting is, although it is more naval positioning and broadsides. Pretty satisfying progression on upgrading stuff so far as well. And can't say enough about how baller this soundtrack is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

exquisite tea posted:

Can anyone elaborate on the non-combat aspects of gameplay? Do you have an individual character with a crew that you can talk to, trade routes that can be established, upgrade paths, etc.? How many aliens can I gently caress in this game?

There's a story that involves your aunt who left you the ship and some mysterious thing that you are trying to figure out what it does. You don't have an individual or crew, although you can hire one merc to fly wingman with you. There are dialog options inside space stations but they are just like from menus, not you walking around.

There's main missions dealing with that story and then a ton of side missions which I think are random, some of which affect various faction standing toward you. You can do trading and mining as well, although I haven't messed with either of those things much yet. You can buy different ships, weapons, turrets, secondary weapons like missiles or flak, armor, shields, engines, subsystems, there's a lot of poo poo to buy. There's no character specific upgrade paths, it's all just equipment.

You can gently caress all the aliens, all of them. Assuming by "gently caress" you mean shoot with a billion lasers until they explode.

It's basically you-as-the-ship, there's no character walking around or anything like that.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
For those who are getting swarmed early, it's worth hiring one of the mercs at the bar. Those guys stay with you forever for pocket change, and they are surprisingly effective. At the very least, he can take some of the heat off of you.

• Locked thread