Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Thor-Stryker posted:

Freelancer had the anti-jump missiles that enemies would spam on you if you didn't kill them all. I'd say those are worse because you can't afk out of that game without getting killed.

oh, cruise disruptors. You were the worst.

well, unless you, the player, managed to tag some jerk trying to jump out with one. Then they were cool. The problem is for every one opportunity a player had to fire a disruptor, two hundred enemies fired two thousand of them at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

okay I just started this game and someone remind me, what's the best way to get into something fun? Get into sector 2 as fast as possible, join merc guild, get Sturville, party?

I want something fast and harder hitting than my Minotaur Mastodon. I'm most of the way through the plot of sector 1 I think?

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 6, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't think you're in a Minotaur. If you are and haven't left sector 1, uh, you've been in sector 1 WAY too long.

Edit: Actually, you can't even buy those in sector 1, as they're Mercenary faction ships.

Here's a ship list... http://rebelgalaxy.gamepedia.com/Ships

i'm in whatever costs 43,000 credits which I am probably naming wrong. Looks like it's a Mastadon?

hey it starts with M!

it's the cheapest Not The Starter Ship.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I just got a Sturville and my life is now complete

A friend of mine kept sending me steam messages and I paused and had to reply with "hey uh let me get back to you I'm soloing a pair of huge pirate ships" and life was good, because I did. I don't know if they were dreads or not but they were big and I was not, but they did not appreciate my neutron beams.

Now I'm just constantly doing merchant guild delivery missions to get that sweet rank 6 cargo expander. I guess I should probably do some merc guild missions to unlock the Minotaur for later, not like I can afford it for a while.

Question though - where's a good place or strategy to get special weapon drops? I got a Badger missile turret and thought it was ... ehhhh? I might change my mind if I had five of them or something though. Also I want those cool lasers.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 11, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I've been using exclusively pulse turrets because I like how they shoot down everything and have decent range - let's say I'm in a Sturville (because I am), sell me on mining lasers? I know they hit really hard, but their range is so bad fighter swarms get a lot of free passes at shooting the crap out of me before they get close enough that my EMP flak can shut them down temporarily and/or my turrets can shut them down forever.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I soloed two dreadnoughts last night in a Sturville and thought to myself "why would I even upgrade this thing?" but I'll probably get a Minotaur someday. I like the idea of even more lasers.

I did swap to a mix of particle/mining lasers and I like them. I'm not entirely sure they're significantly better than my pulse turrets, but they're good, so I'll keep giving them a try. I did like the additional mining laser dps for helping me carve dreadnoughts apart faster.

I do wish I could assign turret priorities though. Like, "target fighters unless none are around, in which case target whatever I'm targeting" instead of FIGHTERS ONLY or MY TARGET ONLY.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

this game :allears:

In the course of "trying to dock at a station" so I could save and quit, I ran into a pirate dreadnought, killed it, then fired up my warp drive again and got dropped out for a pirate lord, killed that guy too, then finally made it to a station. I wasn't really expecting to pull like 300k in bounty money in an attempt to save my game, but I'm not complaining. Apparently I picked the most popular path from a to b the galaxy has ever seen. And of course I'm running Mk5 gear and the pirate drops a Mk2 weapon. Thanks dude.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

There's a mod which sets Virdians as buyable but I'm not sure how it works - the instructions I saw were like "extract all these files and change them" as opposed to "just download this file" and I haven't looked into it beyond that. I haven't even gotten Mk6 gear so I don't feel the need to make those buyable. Yet!

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 25, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Klyith posted:

just scroll down to the dropbox links for this guy's mod, and extract the "data#.pak" file into RebelGalaxy\PAKS.

Ah, this was a different thread than the one I was looking at. The thread I read didn't have any links. Thanks though! If I decide to cheat I'm gonna do it with style.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

update: After I finished the story I decided cheating with style was a good idea.

:getin:

In a lot of ways this game reminds me of Privateer, including the size of the main campaign, so I really hope they build a Righteous Fire-style add-on for it. RF wasn't perfect but it sure was fun. Basically this game is begging for an expansion pack, so uh, let's hope?

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 28, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I got neutrons and never looked back. Sure, tachyons let you spam damage into the rear end end of a dread, but neutrons do everything. Snipe fighters and bombers at range, sure. Destroy turrets, with precision. Wreck a capital, absolutely. Their marginally lower dps (certainly not enough to worry about) was more than made up for by their immense quality.

As for secondaries, I used a lot of pulses early in the game but after some posts in this thread I switched to mining / particle beams and then got some Viridian beams. Gooooood stuff. Laser light show = doing it right.

I suppose if you're worried you could bring dumbfires to help with capital ship dps but I was lazy and just used flak anyway - mostly as my anti-missile weapon as opposed to a serious anti-fighter weapon. Hold down the button and keep going about your business kinda stuff.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 9, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

zedprime posted:

There's compelling options for the limited ammo turrets but they always felt a little too fiddly when the above compositions worked so well. If your turrets aren't quite up to handling fighters fast enough, you can skirmish with neutron beams and take out torpedo ships and similar high priority stuff from a distance before wading in to take care of capitals.

This worked for me. Worked very well.

also setting a wingman to fighters only helps break up any swarm momentum so you can do the above, except even more effectively.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

In general you can top out with almost whatever ship you want - personally I prefer obliterating blockades to running them (:getin:) so I went Minotaur, but I'm not saying the Radovich is bad.

There is zero obligation to ever pick up a dreadnaught unless you want to get one.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

dear modders: where is a mod to give me more pirate lord and siege events because :negative:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Well yeah, that's why I want a mod which ramps up their spawn rate so I can just get it done. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Nah, mission difficulty is ... well, I never paid much attention to it. When I was flying my preferred Fast And Light ship, a Sturville, I had to take antishield missiles as my way to punch through dreadnoughts but other than that it was just go fast, snipe fighters at range, beat up capitals after. Harder missions just meant more enemies to shoot, mostly.

then I got a Minotaur and never paid attention to difficulty again :getin:

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 10, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I used EMP flak for a while and went back to regular flak just because I can hold the button down and forget it. It's not that great - the gunport locations on the Minotaur mean actually intercepting torpedoes and missiles is problematic while you're blasting at full speed - but whatever, it's something to spam which probably does something while I wait to charge a neutron broadside on some poor sucker.

in the end you will become powerful enough that it doesn't matter. Pick what's most fun.

if you really want flak to work for you, you basically need to slow down. Missiles tend to lead you and your speed, especially in something like a Sturville or Minotaur, means flak lags behind you - basically you fly out of your own flak cloud. So if you see missiles, drop speed and dump flak; missiles will fly right into it and get shot down. Throttle up and continue. Otherwise you run into the somewhat frustrating situation of missiles always coming in from the front and flak always being to your rear.

switching between slow/fast also tends to throw off enemy aim for things like broadsides, which isn't all bad. Don't stay slow for too long.

Section Z posted:

I love that thing so much. Plenty of speed to go along with plenty of firepower to handle anything you come across.

It's the best. I cannot even consider going with any of the dreadnoughts. I bought one for the achievement and maybe took it into space for about 90 seconds, maximum, then right back to the Minotaur.

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gobblecoque posted:

Fun times for making hella cash once you get a jump drive is to do jobs for the Merchant Guild in really high level systems. With a fast ship you can do dead drop pickups and risky deliveries that can make you about half a million each while making you feel like Han Solo running blockades and dodging pirates.

Mercenary Guild sells the two best ships in the game and they're also quite good for this task. It's well worth your time to invest in both guilds; merc for the ships and merchants for the very useful gear they sell.

• Locked thread