Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Just got this game, puttering around in the starter ship in the first system, combat mainly consists of flying around while my twin laser turrets murder small craft.

Loving it :hellyeah:

Edit: how the gently caress do I get flak secondaries to do anything useful? They don't appear to follow my broadside aiming, or anything else I can see. They just fire at a sort of rearwards angle and explode in nothingness.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Do mines only home on enemy vessels, or do they home on any NPC? I remember mines being worthless in Freelancer because they'd more than likely end up going for a friendly and making them turn hostile to you.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I have a problem. I can't bear to move on from my Icarus, and having only four turrets and two subsystems is starting to hurt when I get mobbed by those Greel swarms of gunships and the fighters with engine-crippling missiles.

For a maneuverable ship like the Icarus I find that mining lasers are more useful than particle beams, because the shorter range means they are more likely to all be shooting at the closest enemy gunship than spreading uselessly over the whole swarm, which means I don't have to babysit them. They also have a faster cycle time for more efficient bug zapping.

Edit: this is also a thing that happened

GotLag fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 27, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Guh, million-plus-credit mission bugged into non-completion because this game can't handle multiple simultaneous missions. I go to a system to make a delivery and pick up a dead drop, when I get back the dead drop mission isn't complete, I didn't get paid, but I don't have the drop item in cargo any more and the waypoint to return to the merchant guild is still there.

:mad:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
This thread seems pretty dead, but I've made a couple of simple mods people might be interested in if they're still playing:
add "missing" pro versions of Sparrow and Grud mercenary pilots
make Militia bribe attempts certain to succeed

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Proton cannons are good for that. You can shoot people up from afar by aiming your shots fully, or you can get right in close and just click as fast as you can and laugh as their ship melts.

Neutron beams are great at picking off fighters but you can't spam them up close to an enemy capital.

The Blackgate is a bit of a let down, honestly. Sure it has all those broadside ports but they're spread along the (huge) length of the ship, so at anything less than about 1-1.5 sm the angle's too sharp for all of them to hit your target.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That should be fairly straightforward to mod, if you've got the assets (sounds, tracers).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Note also that you can click and drag with the right mouse button to rotate your ship in the equipment store and shipyard. I didn't realise this for ages :downs:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nordick posted:

As for wanting ballistic cannons, I just meant it from an aesthetic point of view. I wanna hear KA-POW KA-POW and BOOM BOOM and see muzzle blasts and smoke puffs and poo poo. I wanna be loving Minmatar instead of Gallente.

I don't have EVE but I'd be happy to have a go at modding this if you could get me the audio files.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Depends on how you play it. If your plan is to tank damage then run away to recharge (or kill everything before you run out of shield) then the big and slow shields are the way to go. With faster-charging shields you need to make more liberal use of your deflectors, allowing shields to charge while deflectors are active and vice versa.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What the hell is transversal

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I sold off all the junk-tier goods wherever the price was within shouting distance of average, and sold everything else to merchants. Rescuing merchants from pirates and then selling all your poo poo to them is a fantastic money-maker.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I got excellent mileage from flak turrets on my Blackgate. Four flaks, the rest lasers set to capitals only, and a mercenary set to fighters only. Fighters and bombers become something that happens to other people.
I also had the upgrades installed that extended projectile turret range and increased rate of fire.

Basically every enemy light craft that approached me exploded during its first attack run.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Neutron beams are good and all but I found myself switching to proton cannons for the excellent range and also for their ability to spam unaimed fire as fast as I can click at close range.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Depends what he's driving, too. The Blackgate can be pretty frustrating with beams, as the separation between the forward-most and rear-most broadside ports is enough that you can't hit close targets with a full broadside.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
At one point I was mounting mining lasers, particle lasers, neutron beams and korian lasers on my Minotaur just for the colour mix.

I was also listening to this playlist.

A+++ would literally fly rings around pirates on null-grav boost again

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Icarus is also a very fun ship, if you like being fast and maneuverable.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nordick posted:

Yeah, that's what I was saying a while back too.
GotLag said he'd try to mod those in if someone provides him with some sound files, so get to hunting I guess? :v:
I'll certainly try. From the small bit of modding I did before it looked straightforward, although I didn't actually check if broadside projectiles can be made explosive.

Rabble posted:

I wish you were able to pull up the map while in a station. It would be cool to see exactly where the missions I accept were going to be before I accept them.
The UI really needs work, it's what's holding this game back from being truly great.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Moochewmoo posted:

Okay, I'll take myself out of the starter system and give it a go. Also it seems like turrets do more of my heavy lifting then my broadsides. For instance a broadside with long range and 2 second recharge is enough to make me just kinda tickle other ships.

Does it just change as I get more ports? Am I always gonna use hit scan laser turrets and anti missile flak?

The non-laser broadsides don't have to be fully-charged, they can fire pretty much as fast as you can click (but with abysmal accuracy). Get close and spam to melt enemy ships, if you've got the shields for it. This is of course more effective in ships with more broadside ports.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
They don't appear to be losing damage, and if they are any decrease is more than offset by the rate at which you can put them out.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Moochewmoo posted:

Man once you get towards the end game it's just hilarious. The whole game my biggest threat was swarms of gunboats. Those little fuckers can keep pace with a max engine barracuda, so after slamming my dick into that wall for a while I upgraded through the bounty hunter ships, then finally got in a blackgate.
I didn't find anything that could keep up with sustained use of null-grav thrusters. You weren't using slamjets were you?

Moochewmoo posted:

Ooohh buddy is the blackgate a good time. Using 4 flak turrets and the rest pulse turrets just turns you into a AoE death machine. Using EMP flak paired with the missle recharge shields when hitting deflectors I just jump in the middle of stuff and watch as things cease to be. Using the T6 long range broadsides are also so much better then the lasers because you can spam them pretty accurately from really far away.
I used laser turrets rather than pulse but yeah it's a beast.

Moochewmoo posted:

One thing I have noticed is that Mercs are simply bad. In the first seconds of a large engagement they eject, and for 200k a pop I can't be bothered to try and keep up with the worthless jerks.
I found pro-level mercs great when set to attack fighters only. I used Pro Sparrow and I only lost her once, due to a buggy encounter (enemy gunships spawned 5-6 km below the plane and she died before they worked their way up to a range I could shoot them from).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The voice clips are the only reason I learned to mod, to make a pro version of Sparrow.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
They're always headed from one station to another, work out where they're going and intercept them on that line.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm a sucker for fast, maneuverable ships, so I got myself an Icarus, and when the 4 turrets and broadside ports stopped being enough I got a Minotaur. The two best ships in the game, I think.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Maxing out a blackgate is so satisfying though. I did all mining lasers and the laser broadsides, I just side up to the tankiest dreadnoughts in the game and two-shot them before continuing on my merry way.
Sucky thing about the Blackgate is that it flies like a brick, and the broadside placement enforces a minimum range if you want to bring it all to bear. When it's kitted out it's funny, but not really much fun.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

bloodychill posted:

I'm at a point where I'm not sure how to get money rolling in quickly. I'm in a destroyer but missions are rarely more than worth 60k and if they are, it usually means a jump and/or Dead Drop fetch. I can kill big Dreads but they still usually drop crap. Should I bite the bullet and just start doing lots of trading?
I did delivery and dead drop missions.

There's an exploit for making mad bank really quickly, ruin the fun at your own risk:
Accept two dead drop missions from different stations, one high level and one low. Collect the low-level drop, make sure you've at least entered the target system for the high-level drop, then dock at the station that gave you the high-level mission. This will trigger the completion of the high-level mission, after which you abort the low-level quest.

bloodychill posted:

Also, how do I get torpedoes? Missle secondaries are decent but no where near the heavy torpedos that I see some ships using. Also, are antimatter pods worth it at all?
There are no player-usable torpedoes IIRC

bloodychill posted:

I'm in that Militia destroyer that looks like a Star Destroyer and I'm thinking I should downgrade to a Dravius or Tennhausen (again, blugh) because right now most of my turret slots are MK2's. I'm going to miss the broadside range boost if I do it though. Do you get any shield or hull bonuses in the heavy and super heavy ships or is it just range upgrades and more slots?
I'm not sure I follow. Any slot can use any level weapon, and more turrets = more better.

bloodychill posted:

Lastly, is there any reliable way to find or spawn pirate lords or should I just keep a better look at my map?
Yes, check your map. Also I believe there is some kind of cap on how many events can take place in one system at any given time, so if there's lots going on try another system.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 21, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The lack of UI polish does hurt this game.

My pet hate is the stupid zoom-in animation when you close the system map, which prevents you from seeing anything for 2 seconds, during which time the game is not paused.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you haven't already, get null-grav thrusters and whatever the merchant guild upgrade is that reduces the effect of engine EMP.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, your actual 'power level' is almost solely coming from the gear on your ship, not the ship itself. Moving up to bigger ships gets you more turrets/broadsides/secondary port (and I think marginally more hull, but you never want to be relying on hull) but tends to come with the compromise of being a larger/more sluggish target.

I'm pretty sure you could finish the game in the starter ship as long as you had mk6 gear.

I used Icarus for a long-rear end time and I was starting to feel the pain of having only 3 turrets able to come to bear on most targets. With only two your damage output is too low, and the Hammerhead's broadsides are worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Baron Porkface posted:

The soundtrack is a nightmare. I would not have bought the game if I knew it was a hurricane of trucker buttrock.

I got tired of space country so I listened to this playlist for trading and this playlist for fighting and it worked well for me.

• Locked thread