Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Drunk Tomato posted:

I have a bachelors in a planning-related field, and I can confirm that a masters is pretty much required to get hired as a planner.

Which is weird, because most of the actual planning related curriculum is undergrad. Masters is much more abstract/research/policy.

Uziduke posted:

I am thinking of getting a Urban and Regional planning Degree over a business degree in accounting or finance.

Any goons have this degree or work in the field that could give me some input?

Do not loving do this. 100% you should get the finance or accounting degree. Most people go into planning and think that they are eventually going to be playing SimCity. You will not. The vast majority of your work is reviewing developments for zoning and environmental compliance. It's largely really boring and about attention to detail.

The problem is most of the fun parts of urban planning will be done by people with other degrees:

Affordable Housing? Finance/MBA/Master of Real Estate Development
Transportation? Sometimes planners but often engineers
Environmental planner? Engineers and/or natural sciences
Policy? Lawyers or Policy
Urban Design? Landscape architects
Budgets? Finance/Economics

Planning positions are hyper competitive in the public sector, and most private planning positions are done by other professions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
You will literally have both higher compensation and job security with those other degrees.

• Locked thread