Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
I am thinking of getting a Urban and Regional planning Degree over a business degree in accounting or finance.

Any goons have this degree or work in the field that could give me some input?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

Luckily my local School has both a BA and a Masters accredited program. So I would get my BA first and then see if the Masters is needed.

http://www.ewu.edu/cbpa/programs/urban-regional-planning

The Live in NE Washington and love the area and would like a Job I could stay there doing.

I was wondering on how the job market is and how long it took to get a job.

Do you get to go outside and have a good mix of office and outside time?

I am going to Start at the Community College this winter since I am 33 and its been so long since High School I need some refresher classes. The School has a direct business transfer that would not have the right prereqs for planning and I can get a general direct transfer with the right prereqs for planning. I got about two months to decided. I just wanted some input from people who are doing the job.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

Thank you for your input. My wife wants me to do general business, since there is more jobs for it. I really think planning is what I want to do. From a young age I played every city/empire builder I could find. I also look at every highway system and think how I would of done it better.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

pig slut lisa posted:

If you're interested in it, I definitely recommend pursuing it. It's a fairly versatile degree and you should pick up some skills that are marketable outside of planning (e.g. GIS, Adobe Creative Suite, finance/budgeting, etc.).

Word to the wise though, avoid this:

in any personal statements you write when you apply. Not because they're bad reasons to be interested in planning, but rather that admissions people read dozens of personal statements on these themes and they get bored of them.

All right thank you.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

i am he posted:

Do you already have a bachelors degree? I would definitely recommend trying to go straight to the masters program if so. It doesn't matter much what your bachelors is in and most everyone in the planning field has a masters. Probably just because so few universities offer a bachelors but everything I've read/heard about the job market leads me to believe a masters is pretty much required.

I don't have any Degree's right now, I am just starting School for the first time. There is different classes I would take if I wanted to go for planning or general business.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

SiGmA_X posted:

My CC also had this for business. It included roughly 6 classes (~2 terms) of useless classes not needed for a BA/BS. If you wanted an associates it would be useful, but if you're going for a BA/BS, I'd start planning the BA/BS credits needed and back into what CC classes to take.

My CC has a direct transfer agreement with the State University so the classes I will take at the CC will = to the classes needed at the State University.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

The main issue now is do I want to do a job that makes a lot of cash and I would be okay with like accounting or do something like planning that I think I would like coming to work each day.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

I haven't taken any classes yet. I have real work experience with invoicing and some AR activity's that I am fine doing.

My real concerns with planning are:

I have to take a foreign language and business doesn't require that.

The job market, I see so many jobs looking for accountants, but nothing looking for planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

SiGmA_X posted:

Well I can't talk about planning, but I can about accounting. If you can understand how it comes together (I work with a green accountant who took my first position with the company - and he loving sucks.) and have decent to strong logic processing and research ability for complex code stuff, you'll be good and move up quickly enough. There are definitely lots of jobs, but 'lots of money' isn't as prevalent as you'd hope. Best track for money is do 3-7yrs at a big4 firm, get your CPA, be smart, move to a senior financial analyst role at a public company and make just below 100k, or low to mid 100's, depending on person, job, and location.

Check out the accounting thread. And take the first couple classes before picking accounting as a major - if you get pretty lost with debits and credits and account structure, put more time in and then find something else to major in. My coworker didn't do this last step :( We all think his logic processor is broken.

The Transferable business degree suggested schedule has account taken in the first two quarters, so I guess I would learn quickly if I liked it or not. I am one of the best researchers at my current place of work, even goes to me to figure things out. I sat with the accounting person at work a bit to watch what she did and helped clear some of the books, nothing she told me seemed over my head at all.

Also so stereotype my own race, I am Jewish so I have a racial bonus to accounting.

• Locked thread