Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Uziduke posted:

The School has a direct business transfer that would not have the right prereqs for planning and I can get a general direct transfer with the right prereqs for planning. I got about two months to decided. I just wanted some input from people who are doing the job.
My CC also had this for business. It included roughly 6 classes (~2 terms) of useless classes not needed for a BA/BS. If you wanted an associates it would be useful, but if you're going for a BA/BS, I'd start planning the BA/BS credits needed and back into what CC classes to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Uziduke posted:

My CC has a direct transfer agreement with the State University so the classes I will take at the CC will = to the classes needed at the State University.
Yes.... But you often need classes for an associates that aren't needed for a bachelors. This is the case for business, engineering, psych, science, etc at Oregon universities vs community colleges. So you want to plan your credits from the university level with a degree picked and back into what CC classes you take. You don't want to waste time nor money, you're too old for both. I just went though this myself, and it worked out beautifully due to planning ahead. It worked out great for a friend of mine, but he has an AS that he doesn't list on his resume and he spent $2k+6mo to flesh out that degree because he was lazy about planing with the BS in mind, even though he had a BS picked out and eventually obtained that.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Define lot of cash. I'm a corporate accountant ("senior accountant") doing derivative accounting as well as misc investment accounting for a 3bn company with ~22bn in investment assets. The pay is not exceptional. With benefits I make around ~68k, 61k of that in cash, minimum bonus, and 401k match. I only have 1.5yrs of experience but most people at my grade have 5yrs+. My company also pays for CPA exams and material, and my bosses are all CPA's. CPA track is worth a lot more, and that's where I am heading, but you aren't a 22yo at a firm. You need to find the right company and right job to make it happen. AND enjoy accounting, have you taken the 100/200 levels yet?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Well I can't talk about planning, but I can about accounting. If you can understand how it comes together (I work with a green accountant who took my first position with the company - and he loving sucks.) and have decent to strong logic processing and research ability for complex code stuff, you'll be good and move up quickly enough. There are definitely lots of jobs, but 'lots of money' isn't as prevalent as you'd hope. Best track for money is do 3-7yrs at a big4 firm, get your CPA, be smart, move to a senior financial analyst role at a public company and make just below 100k, or low to mid 100's, depending on person, job, and location.

Check out the accounting thread. And take the first couple classes before picking accounting as a major - if you get pretty lost with debits and credits and account structure, put more time in and then find something else to major in. My coworker didn't do this last step :( We all think his logic processor is broken.

• Locked thread