Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I have an undergrad planning degree, which I earned in 2009. While it did get me job in a "hey, it's a job!" sense, the job(s) I had after graduating were not particularly related to my degree, and I could have gotten them had I gotten a degree in business, etc. I probably could have tried real real hard and maybe gotten an actual planning job, but such opportunities were very few at that time. Also, 65-75% of any planning jobs these days want a Master's degree. Undergrad planning programs are not terribly common and I don't know if employers are just not willing to "trust" them or what the deal is. But I do know that of the people I graduated undergrad with who actually went out there and did well for themselves, pretty much all of them got either a MUPP (Masters of Urban Planning & Policy) or an MPA (Masters of Public Administration) degree in the years following undergrad.

My story: I went and started on an MPA after a few years of lovely jobs (emphasis: jobs, not a career) in transportation finance which I hated. Graduated last spring, and since then I've been working part-time (sens benefits) at a research center at the university where I held an assistantship while I was a student. After getting 25 hours a week since graduation, I was finally bumped up to full-time hours this past week, and due to one of the senior researchers leaving for a new job across the country, I've been told that full-time position + benefits will be following soon.

In the time spent as a student while in the MPA program, I took a few classes which fell under the MUPP program (my university offered both under the same college). I found that most students in the MUPP program did not have Bachelors' level planning degrees. If you're thinking about this Urban Planning option, I think the degree you *really* need is at the master's level. Go ahead and get your bachelors' degree in something else, and if you still think Planning might something you'd like to pursue at the start of your senior year, start applying to grad school(s) before you graduate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread