Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I went for the Fi discount to get a Pixel 8. The USB port on my 3a is coming loose and the pro is way too big for my taste. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I still have like $400 left on my 7 device payment, or I'd also consider the Fi deal for the 8. Although maybe I can still come out ahead a bit if the trade in value is decent.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Trading in a 6 for a 8 Pro. Trade in is only $90 but the discount on Fi is pretty good.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm still paying off my dogshit S22, am I still able to trade it in? Never traded in a phone before but this thing is such a piece of trash that I need to switch back to a Pixel ASAP

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Fhqwhgads posted:

I still have like $400 left on my 7 device payment, or I'd also consider the Fi deal for the 8. Although maybe I can still come out ahead a bit if the trade in value is decent.

I'm in the same boat; I decided to pass on the 8 because it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade from the 7. I'll move to a nine next year.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Was hoping someone had an idea on how to help.

Been a Fi user for a long, long time. My wife and I got our new Pixels and went through the transfer, we're using eSIM, again for a long time. We don't have cell service at our house, we use WiFi calling. Since we switched phones, text messages don't go through and calls go straight to "call ended." Double and tripple-checked to make sure WiFi calling was enabled. Even Google voice, with using a different Voice-only number does the same thing.

Weird. Okay, maybe we need to drive into town to get cell service so the transfer can finish. Odd, never had that problem before, but let's try it. We get to town, data works. Still can't make calls. Mixture of call ended, or going to the most obnoxious busy signal I've ever heard. Rebooting phones, etc., did nothing. Stayed in signal for about 30 minutes, no change, and decided to go home.

Get home and now the phones do the same thing as before, right to call ended. I try making calls or texts from the computer, same problem as from the phone. Call ends.

What in the hell? Going to reach out to Fi support in the morning, but I know that's usually a poo poo-show.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Does "rebooting phones etc" include a full reset and fresh activation attempt when in full service? I had to do that in similar circumstances (activating at home when out of service) and it resolved the issues I had activating service in all cases

If that didn't fix it, good luck with fi support.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the suggestion. No, just a reboot. When you say "full reset," what do you mean? A factory reset of the phone? Deleting/re-creating the eSIM?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Nuking the Fi app's data, followed by fully resetting the new phone, and in either case restarting the activation from scratch again on working service, would be what I meant, yeah. support will probably have you do these things either way but it's worth a shot

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions. Resetting Fi, the eSIM, the phone, nothing worked. Reactivating in on my old phone let my old phone work. Trying reactivating on my new phone when in cell service didn't fix it.

You know what did? Pausing and reactivating my service in the Fi app. So if anyone is having issues with Fi, add that one to your toolbox.

Fixed my wife's phone right away as well. No other steps necessary.

And yeah, their support was useless.

Thanks Fi thread!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I've got a Google Fi upgrade plan I've been using for 2 years to pay off my pixel 5a , and my upgrade offer is a pixel 7a at more monthly cost than a pixel 8.

Im gonna wait a month or so for any issues to show up then probably buy 8 and charge my company the $24 bucks a month with Device protection in case I crash the screen, to pay for it with my phone bill reimbursement since I'm on call.

I can't think of a reason to get that 7a for $26 a month...

Makes no sense

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Afaik, the upgrade is just financing a phone and device protection over 24 months, but if you aren't currently paying off your phone, a 7a should be $299 ($12.46/mo), 8 should be $399 ($16.62/mo), and 8P should be $599 ($24.96/mo) without any trade-in.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 21, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The 7a is 25.80 a month with Device protection... The 8 is 24.62 month with protection. The upgrade deal is just bad it seems like
At least when I go through Fi.google.com that's my only options except to go 8 pro and is 37 usd a month with protection.

Edit: my phone has been payed off since early September and the offer for that was the 7a at a higher price than the 8.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 21, 2023

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Your pricing seems weird/off from what I paid for mine and I was doing the exact same thing as you mentioned. I had the pixel 5a on the two year subscription payment thing but that was only $9 a month.

Now I just upgraded to the pixel 8 pro and that's $24.96 for the same two years. Maybe it's because I don't use the device protection that yours is much higher. But yes as the other person mentioned, the "free upgrade" is a weird way to word it as you don't get anything free, you just get a new phone and keep paying the same subscription fee monthly, at least in theory.

The other thing relevant like the other poster mentioned is that the new phones just came out, so they are going to be the current, hot, discounted product that they're tryna push everyone to get. Versus the last generation, budget version which is the 7a that you mentioned that they are likely trying to push people away from. Unless there's a feature you like on that phone more than the 8, which I can't think of any, then it obviously makes more sense to get the new hotness, with the newest features, newer SOC, longer life span, longer updates, etc. Especially for the lower price. Unless you want to wait for the holidays or something and see if they do some kind of blowout pricing to get rid of the leftover 7a stock for super cheap.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I'm wondering about this Google Fi promotion that's offering $350 in bill credits over 24 months.

I have a 6a currently on AT&T's prepaid plan. If I switch over to Fi then I immediately get the $350 in bill credits (as long as I keep the service active)?

frosteh fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 29, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Your phone bill will be free for a year and change.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there really no way to find your account # without going through the Leave Fi section?? I have to checkmark several boxes that say "You agree that all this will happen" and the last button says "Leave Fi"??

Like, what the hell?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's not your primary Fi phone number?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

It's not your primary Fi phone number?

I haven't seen any places mention that. Would the Remove Person button do it? I've got two people leaving the group but I'm still the primary and staying.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Just formalizing the fact that if you have any issues whatsoever they'd rather you just hosed off to another carrier than bother support about it

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I haven't seen any places mention that. Would the Remove Person button do it? I've got two people leaving the group but I'm still the primary and staying.
If you're going to remove two people anyway, go ahead and do that; I don't think that would magically reveal your account number, though. I happened to have a Fi bill at hand when you initially posted, and sure enough, there are no account numbers on there. It would make sense if the primary phone number (yours, in this case) were the account number, but it's no more than a hunch on my part. But if you don't need the account number to remove people from the group, don't sweat it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

If you're going to remove two people anyway, go ahead and do that; I don't think that would magically reveal your account number, though. I happened to have a Fi bill at hand when you initially posted, and sure enough, there are no account numbers on there. It would make sense if the primary phone number (yours, in this case) were the account number, but it's no more than a hunch on my part. But if you don't need the account number to remove people from the group, don't sweat it.

They need the account number to transfer their numbers, they told me. You do, in fact, have to go all the way through the cancellation process to get the account number (which is definitely not just your phone number) then cancel the pending cancellation.

It's almost as bad as needing to call an actual person so they can try to talk you out of cancelling.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That's crazy. Thanks for figuring it out, as opaque as it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm dealing with porting out numbers right now too. Evidently the account number and PIN for my number don't work for the other people on the plan (my wife and son), and they have to do it from the app on their phones?

Unbelievable pain in the rear end to do something that should be a couple of clicks on the website.