Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Glass of Milk posted:

The 6p is nice but it's heavy. I also wince every time I put it on the table... It just feels like the glass is gonna break. Looking forward to getting my case next week.

Also, service is great for me. I'm in southern California and I'm either in lte or hspa all the time. I haven't yet encountered any of the public WiFi spots..is there a list/coverage map of them?

which case did you get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I got the Diztronic

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I've been using Fi for almost a week now and all seems to be well. Quiet honestly my LTE speeds are faster than when I was with Sprint (probably because it's hitting T mobile) and I've used a whopping..... .19 GB of Data... yes .19... This is because Fi does such a good job of switching to wifi anytime an open one is in range. I'm very please so far. I bought the 4GB plan and it looks like next month I might not be paying anything! 2 months for 64.85. YES PLEASE.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

The wife and I are considering making the switch from T-Mobile, but a holdup is that she wants to try out the 6P and the 5X and compare them before she buys. Is there any possible way to do this? The only thing I can think of is buying one of each and returning or selling the one we don't want, but that seems suboptimal.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Lord Yod posted:

The wife and I are considering making the switch from T-Mobile, but a holdup is that she wants to try out the 6P and the 5X and compare them before she buys. Is there any possible way to do this? The only thing I can think of is buying one of each and returning or selling the one we don't want, but that seems suboptimal.

I don't think there's anywhere to try before you buy, unfortunately. They only sell the devices online afaik, but they do have a generous return policy. You can get a good sense of them just using wifi, FWIW, but the initial outlay of money is the issue.

Darkpriest667 posted:

which case did you get

I went with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017NE0PD2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01. I wanted a slim clear case, and that seems to be the best one.

One thing I've noticed coming from a Nexus 4 (and my wife from a Nexus 5) is that my hand hits the volume buttons, since they've switched sides from the old devices. I'm hoping the case also helps prevent that some.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Glass of Milk posted:

I don't think there's anywhere to try before you buy, unfortunately. They only sell the devices online afaik, but they do have a generous return policy. You can get a good sense of them just using wifi, FWIW, but the initial outlay of money is the issue.

I went with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017NE0PD2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01. I wanted a slim clear case, and that seems to be the best one.

One thing I've noticed coming from a Nexus 4 (and my wife from a Nexus 5) is that my hand hits the volume buttons, since they've switched sides from the old devices. I'm hoping the case also helps prevent that some.

I've had the same issue. I came from the nexus 5 and I am taking some adjusting to not hitting it. Also, the dash mount I have hits the volume buttons constantly so I have to move the phone a little and it seems wobbly from that position. This is my primary complaint with the phone.

EDIT--- since the other case I ordered got delivered to another state (my old address) I have ordered this one in it's stead. I am just TOO concerned about dropping it.

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 17, 2015

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I like the speck that I got from google store. It's chunky but it makes me feel more comfortable handling such a big phone. I used nexus 4 and 5s without cases but handling this monstrosity makes me paranoid.

Also, speck is german bacon.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
The 6p feels really well made and it sits really well if you have large hands. Feels just a bit wider than my HTC M8 :rip:

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Gravel Gravy posted:

The 6p feels really well made and it sits really well if you have large hands. Feels just a bit wider than my HTC M8 :rip:

I am 5'4 and 127 pounds. (I workout so I am not a fatass) My hands are not large. I LIKE the way the 6P feels in my hand. I can grab it with one hand and do some swiping. If I need to type it takes 2. I prefer this form factor. Like I said, the only thing that bothers me is the volume/power button location. I cannot use my dash mount correctly anymore.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Glass of Milk posted:

Got this today and I'm pleased. The cut outs are nicely sized so no worries about USB or headphone jacks not fitting. The side buttons are just above the level of the case, so they're not as obvious but also not lost inside the case. It's slim and the material doesn't seem to hold smudges.

I'd rate the grip as a 7- it's a vast improvement over the bare phone but not as good as something that's ridged. I don't feel like I'm going to drop it when I get it from my pocket and feel better about putting it down flat on the table, and that's good enough for me, especially with the fit and finish otherwise.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Any recommendations on 5x cases?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My girlfriend dropped AT&T for Fi and received her 5x last week. She really likes the phone and she came from an iPhone 4S, so of course everything is much snappier in comparison, but the battery life is awful. She doesn't use her phone much throughout the day but she's only getting a little over 2 hours of screen on time before the battery croaks. I triple-checked all of her applications and settings but it looks like it is setup to be as efficient as possible, so I have no idea why the battery life has been so terrible. Android OS and System are both using up a huge chunk (~15% each) of the battery. Her screen is set to minimum brightness with no auto brightness. This morning, I disabled location services on her phone (changed from battery saving to off) and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. When the phone is taken off the charger before bed and it sits idle overnight, the battery is down to ~90% by the time her alarm goes off. For comparison, she uses her phone less than I do on a daily basis and my 1.5-year-old HTC One M8 is usually between 70-85% by the time I'm going to bed.

Any tips aside from doing a factory reset and trying again from scratch? I'm certain she's going to wind up returning the phone if we can't find a solution in the next couple of days, since she's on day 6 of using the phone. She's out with the phone right now or else I'd post a screenshot of her battery stats. The biggest issue that I see for her is the carrier signal frequently switches from green to orange, but she's connected to one WiFi network or another for the vast majority (>90%) of the day.

edit: Going to disable Google Now and make sure WiFi is on while asleep only while the phone is plugged in to see if that makes a difference.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 19, 2015

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
As soon as I uninstalled Facebook and Facebook messenger my phone actually started idling over night. I'll probably never install them again, and just continue using the mobile web site.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Bloodplay it again posted:

My girlfriend dropped AT&T for Fi and received her 5x last week. She really likes the phone and she came from an iPhone 4S, so of course everything is much snappier in comparison, but the battery life is awful. She doesn't use her phone much throughout the day but she's only getting a little over 2 hours of screen on time before the battery croaks. I triple-checked all of her applications and settings but it looks like it is setup to be as efficient as possible, so I have no idea why the battery life has been so terrible. Android OS and System are both using up a huge chunk (~15% each) of the battery. Her screen is set to minimum brightness with no auto brightness. This morning, I disabled location services on her phone (changed from battery saving to off) and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. When the phone is taken off the charger before bed and it sits idle overnight, the battery is down to ~90% by the time her alarm goes off. For comparison, she uses her phone less than I do on a daily basis and my 1.5-year-old HTC One M8 is usually between 70-85% by the time I'm going to bed.

Any tips aside from doing a factory reset and trying again from scratch? I'm certain she's going to wind up returning the phone if we can't find a solution in the next couple of days, since she's on day 6 of using the phone. She's out with the phone right now or else I'd post a screenshot of her battery stats. The biggest issue that I see for her is the carrier signal frequently switches from green to orange, but she's connected to one WiFi network or another for the vast majority (>90%) of the day.

edit: Going to disable Google Now and make sure WiFi is on while asleep only while the phone is plugged in to see if that makes a difference.

Something isn't right, even my regular 5 got better battery life. If it doesn't right itself try an RMA with Google and see if that fixes it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

withoutclass posted:

As soon as I uninstalled Facebook and Facebook messenger my phone actually started idling over night. I'll probably never install them again, and just continue using the mobile web site.

She has Facebook installed, but not Messenger. Unless the stats are lying, Facebook isn't really using too much juice. It is Android OS, System, then Screen. Right now she's got about 20% battery life left with just under 3 hours SOT. It seems like disabling WiFi scanning dramatically helped with the battery life, but it seems strange that the life is so bad right out of the box. I think we're going to wind up sending this one back and just hope this one is faulty. Her iPhone 4S with a 2.5-year-old battery lasts just as long as this phone. Google support was initially pretty helpful with getting the number ported over, but they haven't been too helpful with regards to device support. They want her to disable GPS entirely (despite the fact it's on battery saving mode right now) and use the phone, but if she has to disable the GPS entirely for decent battery life, it won't fly. After this factory reset, I'm not changing any settings from stock and we'll see how long it lasts. There isn't any reason she should have to take a new phone and disable half of the features to get the battery to last past 3:00 PM, right?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

She has Facebook installed, but not Messenger. Unless the stats are lying, Facebook isn't really using too much juice. It is Android OS, System, then Screen. Right now she's got about 20% battery life left with just under 3 hours SOT. It seems like disabling WiFi scanning dramatically helped with the battery life, but it seems strange that the life is so bad right out of the box. I think we're going to wind up sending this one back and just hope this one is faulty. Her iPhone 4S with a 2.5-year-old battery lasts just as long as this phone. Google support was initially pretty helpful with getting the number ported over, but they haven't been too helpful with regards to device support. They want her to disable GPS entirely (despite the fact it's on battery saving mode right now) and use the phone, but if she has to disable the GPS entirely for decent battery life, it won't fly. After this factory reset, I'm not changing any settings from stock and we'll see how long it lasts. There isn't any reason she should have to take a new phone and disable half of the features to get the battery to last past 3:00 PM, right?

Looking at the screen for 3 hours? I'd say that's pretty good actually. I think the best I've ever seen an iPHONE 6+ do is about 4 and it has a battery twice as big.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Well to be fair, there is no need for your GPS to be on all the time if you're at your office. I have a 5x and have had no issues whatsoever with battery life. Though how you're using the phone screen for three hours between waking up and 3pm is beyond me, surely you have other things to be doing (unless the phone is used for work).

On a more practical note of advice, its possible your battery isn't holding its full capacity, but since the OS only reports percentage rather than actual power capacity (and it most likely changes what it reports 100%at as the battery ages or loses capacity) you might not be able to tell easily. Maybe there is a way to view what it thinks its actual max capacity is and see if there is something wrong with the battery itself?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Darkpriest667 posted:

Looking at the screen for 3 hours? I'd say that's pretty good actually. I think the best I've ever seen an iPHONE 6+ do is about 4 and it has a battery twice as big.

Looking at the screen for 3 hours with quite a few of the default options off, yes. She also plugged her phone in for about 15 minutes before leaving work and the stats go off of the last 100% charge, so I think they're skewed.

Looking at the 5x subreddit and other forums, most people seem to be averaging 4-5 hours screen on time with normal brightness settings over a couple of days. She's getting ~3.5 hours max with GPS/WiFi scanning turned off, brightness at absolute minimum (with no auto-adjusting), and no other applications aside from stock are even installed.

L0cke17 posted:

Well to be fair, there is no need for your GPS to be on all the time if you're at your office. I have a 5x and have had no issues whatsoever with battery life. Though how you're using the phone screen for three hours between waking up and 3pm is beyond me, surely you have other things to be doing (unless the phone is used for work).

On a more practical note of advice, its possible your battery isn't holding its full capacity, but since the OS only reports percentage rather than actual power capacity (and it most likely changes what it reports 100%at as the battery ages or loses capacity) you might not be able to tell easily. Maybe there is a way to view what it thinks its actual max capacity is and see if there is something wrong with the battery itself?

Low battery usage/battery-saving shouldn't need to be disabled to get decent battery life. It's not like she has high-accuracy GPS on all the time. It's just for the occasional weather or news update. I'll take a look for a battery application, but I don't know of any way to test the maximum capacity of the battery without having direct access to the battery itself.

Again, I realize the One M8 has a bigger battery, but I never disable GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi and my phone will last a couple of days without having to be plugged in. I'm currently at 1 day, 8 hours on my M8 with 69% battery life left and I don't even have 6.0/Doze. Hopefully this factory reset helps.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Looking at the screen for 3 hours with quite a few of the default options off, yes. She also plugged her phone in for about 15 minutes before leaving work and the stats go off of the last 100% charge, so I think they're skewed.

Looking at the 5x subreddit and other forums, most people seem to be averaging 4-5 hours screen on time with normal brightness settings over a couple of days. She's getting ~3.5 hours max with GPS/WiFi scanning turned off, brightness at absolute minimum (with no auto-adjusting), and no other applications aside from stock are even installed.

Low battery usage/battery-saving shouldn't need to be disabled to get decent battery life. It's not like she has high-accuracy GPS on all the time. It's just for the occasional weather or news update. I'll take a look for a battery application, but I don't know of any way to test the maximum capacity of the battery without having direct access to the battery itself.

Again, I realize the One M8 has a bigger battery, but I never disable GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi and my phone will last a couple of days without having to be plugged in. I'm currently at 1 day, 8 hours on my M8 with 69% battery life left and I don't even have 6.0/Doze. Hopefully this factory reset helps.

Wait.. did she pull it off the charger on it's first charge early? if she did that she's boned and has to send it in.. it will have corrupted that thing the battery uses to tell how much life it has left.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Darkpriest667 posted:

Wait.. did she pull it off the charger on it's first charge early? if she did that she's boned and has to send it in.. it will have corrupted that thing the battery uses to tell how much life it has left.

No. It was fully charged for a day before it was even turned on. We needed to find additional account info to port her number.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Darkpriest667 posted:

I haven't heard of this before with modern phones/batteries.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

No. It was fully charged for a day before it was even turned on. We needed to find additional account info to port her number.

Hmm then I don't see why the battery would be screwed, but best be sure by RMAing it. Google will probably overnight you a new one.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ranter posted:

I haven't heard of this before with modern phones/batteries.

Yeah its not a thing with modern batteries. Besides when it left the factory it was charged to 100% its 'first time', and its only less than that because its been sitting in some stock warehouse or backroom. Or if you bought it in a store and they turn it on and put a sim card or whatever to activate it they are turning it on without charging it to max first.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Given LG's history of battery drivers (that is, bad), I wouldn't be horribly shocked if that was actually a thing on a 5x, but in general, no that's not the case with lithium batteries. Worst you should have to do is let it run to 0 then charge it back to 100 to reset the meter.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah its not a thing with modern batteries. Besides when it left the factory it was charged to 100% its 'first time', and its only less than that because its been sitting in some stock warehouse or backroom. Or if you bought it in a store and they turn it on and put a sim card or whatever to activate it they are turning it on without charging it to max first.

Well hell I was always under the impression we were using the same battery technology in lithium as we were 10 years ago. Color me an idiot! Good to know!

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I'm looking at getting a new phone next week, and man, this plan sounds amazing.

Currently running a Galaxy Nexus, just about to make the jump to a new Android phone, strongly considering the 5x. Would go for the 6p, but it just seems way too big for my tastes. I primarily want a phone, afterall, not a lovely tablet.

How hard is it to gnab an invite?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

EatinCake posted:

I'm looking at getting a new phone next week, and man, this plan sounds amazing.

Currently running a Galaxy Nexus, just about to make the jump to a new Android phone, strongly considering the 5x. Would go for the 6p, but it just seems way too big for my tastes. I primarily want a phone, afterall, not a lovely tablet.

How hard is it to gnab an invite?

Fi is a waiting game; sign up and if you are in an area they serve (and those don't match 1:1 the same areas T-Mobile and Sprint serve) they will let you know and put you on a waiting list. I don't know how long it is now but it was 2 months for me back when it started.

They did recently have a 1-day, instant sign up event, so maybe they will do that again.

In my opinion you want the 6p - it's just a better phone. If you read the various reviews around the web you'll find consensus. I know it seems too large on paper, and the first couple days you have it you'll probably agree, but it is something you get used to pretty quick and then there's no going back.

There's a reason large screens have started to dominate the market - they are better for what you actually use the phone for every day. And the 6p is one of the best, and easiest to hold, large screen phones there is.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

After a factory reset, here are the battery stats for her 5x. 15:00 on Saturday was when the phone was last at 100% charge. These are stock settings. It looks like the brightness of the screen is eating away at the battery, which is to be expected. Medium brightness with auto-dimming enabled. Unlike last time, however, Android OS/System aren't the main battery killers. The battery was at about 40% this morning when she left for work, so it seems like there's something at her workplace that is hurting battery life. I'm guessing it is WiFi Scanning, but I'm not quite sure. Still, she's getting more than double the battery life she had the first three or four days. With scanning turned off and brightness set a little lower, it should work well.

I still have to wait another month for my 6p. :sigh:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yep, when in doubt, factory reset and make sure installing all previous apps/settings is DISABLED so you're not bringing in lovely software.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Ixian posted:

Fi is a waiting game; sign up and if you are in an area they serve (and those don't match 1:1 the same areas T-Mobile and Sprint serve) they will let you know and put you on a waiting list. I don't know how long it is now but it was 2 months for me back when it started.
Drats. I was hoping to hop aboard sometime next month. Maybe I'll tweet a goofy doodle at Google Fi's twitter account. Companies seem to love that.

quote:

In my opinion you want the 6p - it's just a better phone. If you read the various reviews around the web you'll find consensus. I know it seems too large on paper, and the first couple days you have it you'll probably agree, but it is something you get used to pretty quick and then there's no going back.

There's a reason large screens have started to dominate the market - they are better for what you actually use the phone for every day. And the 6p is one of the best, and easiest to hold, large screen phones there is.
I guess my concern is that I'm really content with my Galaxy Nexus's ~5in size. It fits nicely in my hand. Any larger, I'm pretty sure I'd get irritated trying to reach everywhere via thumb, which is my primary use.

I really only use my phone to call, text, check Facebook, and snapchat. Strongly dislike watching videos on it, running audio, or any of that other stuff. The extra girth on these phones is a serious con in my book- makes it harder to hold, use, & would make me more likely to drop & break it.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've been using the 6p for like two weeks and it already feels normal. I have an iPhone 5s for work and it seems tiny.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

EatinCake posted:

Drats. I was hoping to hop aboard sometime next month. Maybe I'll tweet a goofy doodle at Google Fi's twitter account. Companies seem to love that.

I guess my concern is that I'm really content with my Galaxy Nexus's ~5in size. It fits nicely in my hand. Any larger, I'm pretty sure I'd get irritated trying to reach everywhere via thumb, which is my primary use.

I really only use my phone to call, text, check Facebook, and snapchat. Strongly dislike watching videos on it, running audio, or any of that other stuff. The extra girth on these phones is a serious con in my book- makes it harder to hold, use, & would make me more likely to drop & break it.

The 5x isn't that much larger than the Galaxy.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Darkpriest667 posted:

The 5x isn't that much larger than the Galaxy.
Right. Which is why I'm considering that over the 6p, but making sure via this thread that that's a good solid decision.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Does anyone have Fi in NYC? I'm on contract with Sprint with a discount that has me paying $80 a month. I just got a Fi invite and I'm thinking of paying the ETF and making the jump but want to know if the coverage in NYC is good enough to make it worth doing.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

EatinCake posted:

Everyone is different so I don't want say you are wrong - my personal experience though is you'll come to like the larger screen, especially if the overall phone is designed well.

My wife is probably the best example I know, recently - for years she used an iPhone 4, then the 5s, which nowdays are about the smallest phones around. When she upgraded a month ago she surprised me by picking the 6s Plus - and not just because it was $750 after her trade in :)

The 6s Plus (which is about the same size as the Nexus 6p) from the iPhone 5s is a monstrous difference, but it only took her a few days to get used to it, and she much prefers the larger screen. It's not just about watching videos, etc - in fact neither of us do that with our phones (I use my Surface tablet to watch stuff on the road). Everything from email to browsing to games just feels better.

For some folks, a better one handed experience (there is a terrible pun to be had here) trumps everything, but I recommend you at least give the 6p a try. Size aside it really is the better phone of the two - the 5x reviews I have read have been lukewarm at best. The 6p however is just about perfect. Huawei had something to prove where LG didn't, I guess.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

EatinCake posted:

Right. Which is why I'm considering that over the 6p, but making sure via this thread that that's a good solid decision.

A google phone will be vastly superior to any other android simply because there is no loving bloatware on it. It also works on any of the radio bands even the ones over seas. Ever since I got my original nexus 5 I've never even bothered wanting a Samsung or an iPhone. I wish there was a way you could get one in your hands but the carriers always sit on their asses about getting the Nexus line in the store to look at.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Ixian posted:

For some folks, a better one handed experience (there is a terrible pun to be had here) trumps everything, but I recommend you at least give the 6p a try. Size aside it really is the better phone of the two - the 5x reviews I have read have been lukewarm at best. The 6p however is just about perfect. Huawei had something to prove where LG didn't, I guess.
I really do appreciate all the words man. Cheers.

Lukewarm isn't that bad sounding to me- no matter what I get it's likely gonna be an improvement on the four year old Galaxy I've been running with! I think I'll hit up a Best Buy and try handling similar size phones.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
I've been on Fi since Friday with a 6p. Came over from T-Mobile and a struggling nexus 4. Number port literally took 5 mins and so far I am very pleased with both. With a diztronic case I feel fine handling the 6p, its huge but I got used to it, like driving a 7 series after a subaru. :iiaca:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Bud posted:

I've been on Fi since Friday with a 6p. Came over from T-Mobile and a struggling nexus 4. Number port literally took 5 mins and so far I am very pleased with both. With a diztronic case I feel fine handling the 6p, its huge but I got used to it, like driving a 7 series after a subaru. :iiaca:

lucky. My number transfer took over a week. They couldnt figure out what was wrong with it. Turns out their system didn't recognize my address as a real place, but it took them a week and over 12 hours on hold for them to figure that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
My 6P comes in Friday :woop:! I'm looking for a case, is the ADOPTED case through the google store any good? What are some other recommendations?